Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Change connected device name on R7900P

Copwriter
Tutor

Change connected device name on R7900P

The devices connected wirelessly to my R7900P router are listed mostly by MAC address alone. The device name is blank in most cases. How can I edit this field in the routerlogin.net screen so I can see a "simple" name for each device, rather than have to look up each MAC address each time? This router is running under Windows 10, firmware version V1.0.1.8_1.0.68.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
GaWd
Luminary

The simple name field appeared to be editable when QoS was enabled. In fact, many of the columns of data in the attached devices screen change (for unknown, and non-understandable reasons) when you enable QoS. It's really irritating and limiting. Also, the name field isn't stored with permanence in a database...it can change across reboots-which is really strange. You'd think that the device would keep a database with MAC addys in non-volatile memory, but it doesn't appear to-which is disappointing, tbh.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi Copwriter,

Update the firmware to the latest one.

https://kb.netgear.com/000045278/R7900P-Firmware-Version-1-1-3-2

Message 2 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Copwriter,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 10
Copwriter
Tutor

I downloaded and installed the firmware update, but I still don't see any setting to provide device names to my connected devices. I see the MAC addresses and IPs, but the device names are mostly blank. 

Message 4 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Copwriter,

Please provide me a screenshot of the page.

Message 5 of 10
Copwriter
Tutor

Here is a screenshot. I want to assign labels to the empty cells under "Device Name."nighthawk_router.jpg

Message 6 of 10
Copwriter
Tutor

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the device label names?

Message 7 of 10
GaWd
Luminary

The simple name field appeared to be editable when QoS was enabled. In fact, many of the columns of data in the attached devices screen change (for unknown, and non-understandable reasons) when you enable QoS. It's really irritating and limiting. Also, the name field isn't stored with permanence in a database...it can change across reboots-which is really strange. You'd think that the device would keep a database with MAC addys in non-volatile memory, but it doesn't appear to-which is disappointing, tbh.

Message 8 of 10
Copwriter
Tutor

Thanks much for that answer. Enabing QoS allowed me to edit and rename the devices that were missing names. I posted this question five months ago, but yours was the first response that did anything to solve the problem. 

Message 9 of 10
GaWd
Luminary

I found that with QoS enabled I got all those nifty whiz-bang features like naming and whatnot, but it caused my VoIP phone and conference call services to hang up and disconnect. So I ended up reverting, unfortunately.

Too bad, too-I'm the perfect candidate for it with my many devices and limited bandwidth.

Good luck!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7