Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changed network passwords, now PC won't connect!!!

joeperez
Aspirant

Changed network passwords, now PC won't connect!!!

I correctly followed the steps to change my router's network password from the default that came with the router. From within the Genie webpage I can confirm this (there are three different "networks," the regular PC connection, a 5G network that I assume is for my iPhone, and a "60G" that I have no clue about. I changed the regular and 5G network passwords to the same new password and left the 60 alone since I have no clue what it would be for.

I can connect with my iPhone to the 5G network using the new password, but my PC only two feet away from where I sit with my iPhone will not connect. I can only get a connection throught the built-in router of the cable modem. Before I changed passwords I had no trouble connecting with the "factory" password the very first time I connected. Now, when I select the NETGEAR91 network (changed only the passwords, not the network names) I don't even see any options to enter the updated password (using windows 10 and clicking on the little "wifi umbrella" in the lower right.

I'm getting a "Can't Connect To This Network" when I manually click the Connect button.

Any help appreciated.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
joeperez
Aspirant

Re: Changed network passwords, now PC won't connect!!!

Yes, thank you. In Win10 I have the "Connect Automatically" box checked for the Nighthawk X10 (NETGEAR91) that displays in the list of available networks. So I get a connection practically as soon as I power up the PC.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
joeperez
Aspirant

UPDATE!

I stumbled across a very helpful article in the support section that clued me in to the fact that the PC is still using the old passwords to connect, and that I had to got into my Network Settings and tell the setting to "Forget" the NETGEAR91 network, which I did. Then, since the network is in the area and available to be joined (it *is* upstairs) when I selected "Connect" this time, it wanted a password, and I gave it the new one, which worked just fine.

Message 2 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@joeperez Is it still working at this point? 

Message 3 of 5
joeperez
Aspirant

Yes, thank you. In Win10 I have the "Connect Automatically" box checked for the Nighthawk X10 (NETGEAR91) that displays in the list of available networks. So I get a connection practically as soon as I power up the PC.

Message 4 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's great!

Have a great day ahead. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7