Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Changing IP address on Nighthawk X10 Router

jgt1942
Apprentice

Changing IP address on Nighthawk X10 Router

A few weeks ago my Nighthawk X10-R9000 changed its IP address and now I cannot change it back. It was setup with a static address. I can login to the router on my using either my desktop (ethernet cable) or my smartphone (Samsung Note8) using the Nighthawk app.

After logging in I can see the current IP address (192.168.0.168) but I cannot change it I want to change it to 192.168.0.2. Previously the 192.168.0.168 was a static address for the Ethernet card in the desktop and now applications that depend on that IP address are not working. On my windows desktop I can login to the R9000, I click on the Advance tab, under WPS Wizard I click on Setup the LAN Setup is grayed out. I can also login using the Nighthawk app on my Note8 but don't see anyway to change the R9000 IP address.

• My ISP is AT&T, they provide fiber service using a BGW210-700 modem (I've turned off the WiFi because I'm using the R9000 to provide WiFi).
  • From the BGW210-700 I connect to a Bitdefender Box 2
  • From the Bitdefender Box 2 I connect to one of the LAN ports on the R9000
  • The R9000 is setup in AP mode. When I installed the Bitdefender Box 2 (two years ago) the setup informed me to set the router (R9000) to AP mode.
  • For the previous two years all was working without issue. I have no idea what changed. 

Please give me dummy instructions. Anything to do with networking is like a language that I don't understand. 

Thanks, John

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

When in AP mode, the main router is responsive for giving IP addresses. Look up the R9000 MAC address and add the IP address on the main router. Yoou may need to reboot them afterwards

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

One can set a static IP address on the R9000 while in AP mode. Address just needs to be outside of the default DHCP IP address pool on the main host router. 

Message 3 of 5
jgt1942
Apprentice

I just saw https://kb.netgear.com/23784/I-m-setting-up-my-NETGEAR-router-for-the-first-time-how-do-I-set-it-to-.... If I understand correctly the Ethernet cable from my Bitdefender Box 2 should be connected to the R9000 Internet port. I made the change, after a few seconds internet access was reestablished but still I could not change the IP address of the R9000.

Message 4 of 5
jgt1942
Apprentice

WOW you guys are fast! 

I see that the MAC address of the R9000 is  A0:04:60:25:70:B3

Ref "When in AP mode, the main router is responsive for giving IP addresses. Look up the R9000 MAC address and add the IP address on the main router."

I think the Bitdefender Box 2 is where I need to make the change, I'll need to do some reading about it.

Ref "One can set a static IP address on the R9000 while in AP mode. Address just needs to be outside of the default DHCP IP address pool on the main host router. "

Good point, I would have messed this up.

Time for lunch and spend some time with the wife. It may be a few hours before I try to move forward.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7