Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Changing out Readyshare USB Drive

cottonchipper
Aspirant

Changing out Readyshare USB Drive

I've been using an external USB plugged into my Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R-7000 router to backup files stored on a couple of network computers.  It has worked great, but now I'd like to remove the USB for off-site storage and replace it with a similar USB and begin the backup process again.

Is there any particular process I need to follow to do this, or do I simply pause the backup, switch USB drives and then resume backup?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

By the way, I've had instances when the USB drive couldn't be seen and I had to REBOOT the router to see them? Have you tried that?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@cottonchipper wrote:

I've been using an external USB plugged into my Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R-7000 router to backup files stored on a couple of network computers.  It has worked great, but now I'd like to remove the USB for off-site storage and replace it with a similar USB and begin the backup process again.

Is there any particular process I need to follow to do this, or do I simply pause the backup, switch USB drives and then resume backup?

That depends....

First on the USB page do the SAFELY REMOVE USB DEVICE to make sure it isn't damaged.

Secondly, you might need to name the new drive again to the same as the old one. If there is nothing on the root of the new drive you'll need to create the same structure used for back up on it. Depending on 'how' or 'who' does the backups you might need and index file or some other type of file to have the back up procedure continue as it did before and keep the same naming convention and numbering after the old backups.

This would be no different than changing the backup location on the backup program, even if it were to drives or folders on your PC.

Message 2 of 6
cottonchipper
Aspirant

I'm pretty frustrated with this Readyshare feature right now. As I said above, I've had a drive plugged in and backing up for months now. I unplugged the drive to start attempting to replace it with another identical drive. No only did the software not see the replacement drive, now it doesn't see the original drive. Right now I've got one plugged into the front 3.0 USB socket and the other plugged into the back 2.0 USB socket and neither shows up in the Readyshare Vault software's "Backup" tab Step 1: Selected Backup Drive. Refreshing it searches for drives but finds none. 

Message 3 of 6
IrvSp
Master

Here are the basic ReadySHARE Vault instructions: https://kb.netgear.com/23861/How-to-setup-ReadySHARE-Vault-Free-Backup-Software but you probably know this already.

Posting a Screen Capture of where you problem is might help? Also the READYSHARE STORAGE tab. Not sure if the drives have to show there or not?

Message 4 of 6
IrvSp
Master

By the way, I've had instances when the USB drive couldn't be seen and I had to REBOOT the router to see them? Have you tried that?

Message 5 of 6
cottonchipper
Aspirant

Thank you!  Re-booting the router seemed to be the solution to making them both show up.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7