Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Choosing a channel and band for streaming TV

JimmyW
Luminary

Choosing a channel and band for streaming TV

I'm using the R7000 router with Spectrum's streaming service on my Samsung smart TV.  I connect to the router through a powerline adapter, and I use the 5GH band.  The channel is set to 153, which I guess is the default as I didn't choose it.  Of all the channels that I access, only Spectrum's service gives me problems.  Channels cut out and buffer routinely, or go into buffering before they load.  Spectrum tells me repeatedly to reset my modem and router, which accomplishes nothing.

Lately, they suggested that I change my channel to 1, 6, or 11.  As I'm using high band, those channels are unavailable.  If I switch to low band, my router channel setting is set to Auto.  I guess the first question is, should I switch the network to the 2.4GHz band?  If so, should I set the channel to a specific one as Spectrum suggested?  As every streaming service works great with my present setings, I'd hate to screw up my other channels.  I attached a screenshot of my settings.  Thanks.  

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The reason they recommend it is because most tier 1 techs from spectrum/comcast/cox are just regular people with some basic training/troubleshooting. I know some pretty techologically smart people who don't know much about networking/wireless. the more you learn, the more you find out you don't know about networking. Half the time, I feel like a dumb*** compared to many of the members on here.  

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

5ghz is much much faster than 2.4ghz and doesn't suffer from the same interference that 2.4ghz does. I'd stick with the 5ghz. 

You said you're using powerline. For the tv? 

What firmware is on the router?

Message 2 of 15
JimmyW
Luminary

Thanks very much!  Yes, I'm using powerline for my TV.  I added it based on Community suggestions, as I was having problems streaming video from Amazon, Netflix, etc.  The unit is a PLW1000.  Powerline fixed everything, and I've remained on 5GHz as well.  My router firmware is V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.  The router states that the firmware is current. 

I realize that some devices do not support 5GHz.  My download speed is >100Mbps.  I didn't advise Specrum which band I was using, but Channels 1, 6, & 11 are on low band.  My guess is that, if I tell them I'm on 5GHz, they'll tell me to use 2.4GHz, just to avoid acknowledging that the problem is Spectrum.  Regarding channels, do you know why my channel is set to 153?  Would there be a reason to change the channel?  As you suggested, I'm not inclined to switch to 2.4GHz plus override the Auto channel select just to appease Spectrum, though their service is miserable.  AFAIK, I can't use 1-6-11 on 5GHz.  

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

correct. Channels 1-11 are 2.4ghz. 

The higher channels are 5ghz and are much higher throughput. 

with your tv, if its on poweline, disconnect the 5ghz connection. 

Message 4 of 15
JimmyW
Luminary

Thanks again!  So, if I try 2.4GHz, should I switch to one of the channels that Spectrum suggested?  I would think that the Auto select option would choose the best channel for each streamimng service. Again, I don't want to mess up my other streaming services.  

What about enabling Smart Connect?  It "...lets router intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz for your WiFi connections. Smart Connect requires the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks to use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options and password."  I'd just have to rename one network as they now use the same security and password.  

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

what I'd do? 

If the tv is hardwired in via powerline, disconnect if from both the powerline and the wifi. 

If its not hardwired in, use the 5ghz. 

Don't use 2.4ghz for the tv. 2.4ghz is much much slower and sensitive to interferenc.e 

Message 6 of 15
JimmyW
Luminary

Thanks again! I'm a little confused, so I appreciate your help. My TV is connected to a powerline unit by ethernet. The other powerline unit is ethernetted to the router. At first, I had connected to the router wirelessly through the TV"s wireless. The quality was terrible, so my only option was powerline. I couldn't connect the TV directly to the router by ethernet because of room layout. I haven't discussed 2.4 vs 5 with Spectrum, but they're thinking 2.4 because they're suggesting the channels. I actually haven't tested 2.4 with the powerline.
Message 7 of 15

@JimmyW wrote:
My TV is connected to a powerline unit by ethernet. The other powerline unit is ethernetted to the router.

If your TV is anything like my stuff, it will ignore the wifi when connected over Powerline.

Message 8 of 15
JimmyW
Luminary

Thanks.  I'm sure that's correct, as it makes sensembecause I don't want the TV to access the router by wifi.  I still don't get the reason why Spectrum wants me to choose Channel 1, 6, or 11, which are 2.4.  If I use the router's auto hi/low option, my guess is that it will want 2.4 set to Auto select for the channel, though it just may keep the setting I choose.  Now, my TV works great on 5MHz for everything else.

Message 9 of 15

@JimmyW wrote:

I still don't get the reason why Spectrum wants me to choose Channel 1, 6, or 11,

Probably because they don't have a clue.

Message 10 of 15
JimmyW
Luminary

Yes, I've done some research to learn more about this topic.  First, it seems that 5GHz is indeed better suited to my use.  The reason that Spectrum suggests 2.4 with 1-6-11 is because they don't have a clue, AND because 1-6-11 are the channels without overlap in low band, so that's default for Spectrum's "techs." 

I got WiFi Analyzer for my PC, and it reported that I would be much better off switching to Channel 36 from my current 153.  I don't know how 153 became my channel, unless Netgear Support suggested it when I called a long time ago for some tech help.  Also, I read that one should choose the lowest channel that gives the best performance.   

Message 11 of 15
plemans
Guru

The reason they recommend it is because most tier 1 techs from spectrum/comcast/cox are just regular people with some basic training/troubleshooting. I know some pretty techologically smart people who don't know much about networking/wireless. the more you learn, the more you find out you don't know about networking. Half the time, I feel like a dumb*** compared to many of the members on here.  

Message 12 of 15
JimmyW
Luminary

Quite true.  When I tried to change to Channel 36, the router presented a message stating that it was not recommended, and advised to <140.

Message 13 of 15
johngraziadei
Aspirant

show  me  how  to  change  channel  to  11   and 2.5  ghb  on  my  r7000 netgear  router

Message 14 of 15
antinode
Guru

> show me [...]

Already been done.  Perhaps one of us should try this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

I vote for you.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "Specify Basic
WiFi Settings" and "channel".  It's not complicated.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7