Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Chrome webpages and other 3rd party app not loading on Nighthawk R7960

chrism51
Guide

Chrome webpages and other 3rd party app not loading on Nighthawk R7960

Last few days, have had an issue with webpages loading when using the Chrome browser in Windows 10. Firefox seems to be working much better. Constantly getting a "This Site Can Not Be Reached".  But if I reload the page multiple times, it loads. 

Same issue with Fidelity's Pro Trader app. Data will not load into app when connected to the Netgear R7960 router.

When I connect to my Verizon hotspot, these problems go away. So it appears that the router is creating the issue. So my question is whether I need to revert to an older firmware release or at some point, will I need to get a new router as this makes using the Internet difficult.

On a Windows 10 (updated) machine with MalwareBytes as antivirus. Use Comcast high speed for Internet connection. Speed seems to be OK.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

what firmware version are you on? 

have you enabled IPv6?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do all devices exhibit this issue or just this one PC? 

Is Armor or any Smart Parental Controls enabled on the router? 

Message 2 of 13
plemans
Guru

what firmware version are you on? 

have you enabled IPv6?

Message 3 of 13
chrism51
Guide

Firmware is : V1.4.2.84_1.3.42

Using an Arris Model SVG2482AC as the modem for Comcast. 

I do use Armor but not parental controls.

All my TVs are on Roku and they work fine. My IPad works fine and Chrome seems to work OK on the IPad. My android and apple phones don't seem to have an issue using Chrome.

I am the only person that uses a Windows 10 machine on this network. But have an old Windows 10 laptop and it looks to be doing the same thing. This machine does not have all the Windows 10 updates since I haven't used it in a while and it doesn't have MalwareBytes.

Sometimes I get the message "this site can't be reached". Check for typo. Then page loads after a few seconds. Other times I have to hit reload several times to get it to load. Right now, trying to log into Morningstar and got the message, then tried to load log-in page, which is just a blank white page. Really seems to give me issues with subscriptions sites that I have to log into.

The third party Fidelity app is also subscription requiring a log in. With that, the app will open but data is blocked from loading into the app.

I use this same setup (router/modem) at a second home and had no issues using that system over a week ago. But since I returned home over the last week, this has been an issue.  Just assumed this was a router issue, though it could be the modem, since my hotspot seems to work. This Nighthawk was sent to me by Netgear a few months ago because my last one would not update the firmware.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

What mode is the Arris in? (its a modem/router combo devices and causes a double nat)

Did you try the IPv6 option?

Message 5 of 13
chrism51
Guide

IPv6 is set to disabled.

Message 6 of 13
chrism51
Guide

Enabled the IPv6 and that seems to work. Will need to look up that setting. Not sure why the network seemed to work before this change, unless this somehow got disabled in an update. But thanks for the recommendation. Will keep testing to make sure that is the solution.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the Arris in?

Message 8 of 13
chrism51
Guide

Your recommendation on enabling the IPv6 seems to still be working. So believe this got resolved.

As far as the Arris, not sure how to answer that question on mode. Haven't logged into it in a while. When I set it up, I enabled some type of bridge so that the box would not send out a WiFi signal and that it would only be routed through the Netgear Nighthawk.

But thanks earlier for your recommendation. I will need to look up what the IPv6 setting does and it is unclear to me why I started having issues this week. But like most, now that it seems to be working, I am good to go with your assistance.  I had disabled SmartConnect (had tried that to see if it would help earlier), but was thinking of enabling that again hoping it would not create an issue. Or maybe it is best to leave things the way they are.

Again, super appreciative of the responses.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. 

Glad you got it working. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/19952/How-to-backup-and-restore-the-settings-configured-in-a-router
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

glad to see its working properly. If that fixed the issues and it stays working, mark it as solved and it might help the next person. 

Message 11 of 13
plemans
Guru

Sorry, you did mark it solved. Let us know if it stays stable.
Message 12 of 13
chrism51
Guide

Still working great. Was reading up on the IPv6 setting (for others that have this problem). According to Comcast, they are slowly rolling out the switch from IPv4 to IPv6 (not all at one time on their network). So it may be while I was out of town, that switch occurred which created the issues I was having when getting home until enabling the IPv6 in settings. 

Might be helpful if Comcast would send an email to their customers explaining this change to their network and letting them know to either get IPv6 compatable equipment or to update the setting in their router.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7