Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Chromebooks fail to connect after upgrade

billbraz
Aspirant

Chromebooks fail to connect after upgrade

Yesterday, I decided to check for upgrades for my AC2100.  The upgrade to version 1.2.0.74_1.0.1 went fine, or so it appeared.  I quickly found that my Chromebook could no longer connect to WiFi.  I checked my wife' Chromebook and it also failed to connect.  I decided to downgrade it to version 1.2.0.62_1.0.1.  Same issue.  Could not connect via WiFi with the Chromebooks.  I then downgraded it again, this time to version 1.2.0.36_1.0.1.  Now, it works.

Aren't these upgrades tested with Chromebooks?  I'm not sure what other devices would fail after the upgrade, but I can tell you an ASUS and Lenovo Chromebooks failed.  Very frustrating!

Model: AC2100|Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Chromebooks fail to connect after upgrade

@billbraz wrote:

Aren't these upgrades tested with Chromebooks?  I'm not sure what other devices would fail after the upgrade, but I can tell you an ASUS and Lenovo Chromebooks failed. 

The AC2100 is a wifi source. It is up to the clients to play ball.

This means that what you see is probably down to something that changed in the wifi configuration.

If other things connect to your wifi, then check the Chromebooks. Maybe you need to tell them to forget and then reconnect their wifi connection.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

Message 2 of 5
billbraz
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions.  Sounds like a lot of work that I shouldn't need to do for a firmware upgrade.  I only use the Nighthawk in AP mode.  I think I'll just stick to version 1.2.0.36_1.0.1 for now.

Thanks again!

Bill

Model: AC2100|Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5

@billbraz wrote:

I only use the Nighthawk in AP mode. 

Always helps to have full details.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 5
billbraz
Aspirant