Chromecasts and R7000

Trapr
Follower

Chromecasts and R7000

I just purchased a R7000 router. Installed the latest firware (1.0.0.26) and got everything set up. Was able to connect 1 Google home and 2 Google Minis to it without a problem. then tried to set up 2 Google Chromecasts (1 1st gen and 1 2nd gen) and boy did the headaches start. The only way I could get the 1st gen to work was to disable the 5GHz radio and it would complete installation and worked great, but as soon as I turned the 5GHz radio back on it quit. With radio on I would get message on Google Home app from android phone that setup was successful but it couldn't find my chromecast to make sure I was on the same WiFi network and had AP Isolation turned off. I was on same network and my understanding that there is no AP isolation when not using guest network (which by the way I have disabled.) I tried making every change to the router that I could find on the internet (change channel, speed, IPv6 on UPnP on IGMP proxy disabled, SIG ALG disabled, etc) I was finally able to connect and get it to work correctly to an old Linksys EA somethin (Dual Band) router that I have set up in another part of the house that I am using as an AP, it is hard wired into the R7000. 

So I moved on to the 2nd gen Chromecast and tried to connect to the 5 GHz channel which it had been on the previous router (tented router from TWC Sagecom Fast 5120 dual band) and again the same message, setup was successful but could not see Chromecast on network. By this time it was 3am and time to get some sleep.

So here I am the next day and wondering what to do. There has to be a simple fix for this, they both worked fine with the TWC router but not now. I have checked every setting I can find on the R7000 but nothing seems to work. So looking for someone who has this type on setup working. and should I 

1) downgrade the firmware?

2) Flash something different on the R7000 DD-WRT or somethng similiar?

3) Factory reset the router and start over?

4) Just connect them to the old Linksys and forget about it (although the signal is not as strong)

5) Throw my hands up in disgust?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Chromecasts and R7000

Theres been a known issue and problem when using Chromecasts and Google is aware of it. Where they are taking any actions has yet to be seen. 

google-chromecast-home-wifi-problems-router-crashing

IF the router was working up to the point before adding the Chromecasts, then theres nothing wrong with the router. I would get the router back to this state then approch Google about there Chromecast issues. 

@Traprwrote:

I just purchased a R7000 router. Installed the latest firware (1.0.0.26) and got everything set up. Was able to connect 1 Google home and 2 Google Minis to it without a problem. then tried to set up 2 Google Chromecasts (1 1st gen and 1 2nd gen) and boy did the headaches start. The only way I could get the 1st gen to work was to disable the 5GHz radio and it would complete installation and worked great, but as soon as I turned the 5GHz radio back on it quit. With radio on I would get message on Google Home app from android phone that setup was successful but it couldn't find my chromecast to make sure I was on the same WiFi network and had AP Isolation turned off. I was on same network and my understanding that there is no AP isolation when not using guest network (which by the way I have disabled.) I tried making every change to the router that I could find on the internet (change channel, speed, IPv6 on UPnP on IGMP proxy disabled, SIG ALG disabled, etc) I was finally able to connect and get it to work correctly to an old Linksys EA somethin (Dual Band) router that I have set up in another part of the house that I am using as an AP, it is hard wired into the R7000. 

So I moved on to the 2nd gen Chromecast and tried to connect to the 5 GHz channel which it had been on the previous router (tented router from TWC Sagecom Fast 5120 dual band) and again the same message, setup was successful but could not see Chromecast on network. By this time it was 3am and time to get some sleep.

So here I am the next day and wondering what to do. There has to be a simple fix for this, they both worked fine with the TWC router but not now. I have checked every setting I can find on the R7000 but nothing seems to work. So looking for someone who has this type on setup working. and should I 

1) downgrade the firmware?

2) Flash something different on the R7000 DD-WRT or somethng similiar?

3) Factory reset the router and start over?

4) Just connect them to the old Linksys and forget about it (although the signal is not as strong)

5) Throw my hands up in disgust?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CBR750 Modem | Wifi Router CBR750(v.7) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 2 of 6
cplex
Aspirant

I just upgraded my firmware to the latest V1.0.9.32_10.2.34 and I have no clue what to do now with setting up my Google Chromecasts.  It's connecting to my internet but for some reason I'm unable to cast anything on there.  I'm thinking of just downgrading it back to the first firmware available since everything was working then.

Message 3 of 6
gettygas2
Initiate

I had the same problem I rolled back to firmware(26) everything working now 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 6
flgth
Aspirant

I tried with the firmware 26, unfortunately, it does not do the trick for my Chromecast 1st gen 1.32.124602.

Message 5 of 6
flgth
Aspirant

@gettygas2 wrote:

I had the same problem I rolled back to firmware(26) everything working now 

I tried with the firmware 26, unfortunately, it does not do the trick for my Chromecast 1st gen 1.32.124602.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E