Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Combine 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands under a single SSID

kevanp
Tutor

Combine 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands under a single SSID

Just installed a new R7800. I am surprised to discover that it creates separate WiFi networks, one in the 2.4GHz band, the other in the 5GHz band. My previous wireless access point combined both bands under one SSID, and automatically selected the optimum frequency depending on the connected device and the signal strength. There seems to be no way of combining the two bands this way on the R7800. 

Or am I missing something?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

The R7800 doesn't support Smart Connect. 

You can give same name SSIDs across each radio, however the router isn't capable of handling auto connections and handshaking behaviors like Smart Connect does so It's recommended to keep each radio as separate SSIDs for best operation and performances. 

@kevanpwrote:

Just installed a new R7800. I am surprised to discover that it creates separate WiFi networks, one in the 2.4GHz band, the other in the 5GHz band. My previous wireless access point combined both bands under one SSID, and automatically selected the optimum frequency depending on the connected device and the signal strength. There seems to be no way of combining the two bands this way on the R7800. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> Just installed a new R7800. [...]

Firmware version?

> [...] There seems to be no way of combining the two bands this way on
> the R7800.

Have you tried configuring both radios with the same credentials
(SSID and passphrase)?

Some router models (and/or firmware versions) may have a "Smart
Connect" option to simplify this, but it may not be needed.

> Or am I missing something?

Only the obvious?  It should be an easy experiment to run.

Message 2 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Does the Genie UI prohibit manually configuring the same wireless network name on all wireless interfaces?

Not sure the R7800 has already got what Netgear does designate as Smart Connect -  a related community thread is not very promising.

Message 3 of 11
duckware
Prodigy

You can set the SSID to anything (so you can name both bands to the same name if you want).  When that happens, it is up to the connecting client to decide which band to use.  Often times that will (or should) be 5GHz.

So it is you choice.  However, one caveat is that some 5GHz devices may connect to 2.4GHz (I had a laptop that would connect 5Ghz, but after a couple of hours it would switch to 2.4Ghz).  That was so annoying that I switched back  to the "-5G" suffix on the 5GHz band, and the problem laptop now stays connected always to 5G.  Go figure.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The R7800 doesn't support Smart Connect. 

You can give same name SSIDs across each radio, however the router isn't capable of handling auto connections and handshaking behaviors like Smart Connect does so It's recommended to keep each radio as separate SSIDs for best operation and performances. 

@kevanpwrote:

Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Modern client Wi-Fi STA can perfectly handle and use the best possible AP and radio - even if there are many AP and many different channels are on air - and all are using the same name. We see that some Wi-Fi STA fall back to 2.4 GHz while not used heavily, go re-join 5 GHz when throughout is needed. Everything works pretty much transparent.

Has Netgear ever told us what this Smart Connect feature does exactly? All we have are some ideas from business AP environments where we know that these try to keep off old tech clients off from some radios to allow the matching technology work better together on another radio for example. So e mentioned it's Broadcom technology - however the R9000 does not have anything (no SoC, no radios) from Broadcom - but we have Smart Control available on the R9000.
Message 6 of 11
kevanp
Tutor

Thanks for the reply antinode

FURRYe38 has recommended not combining the two bands by giving them the same name.

No Smart Connect is not implimented on the R7800.

Message 7 of 11
kevanp
Tutor

Thanks duckware

Giving the two bands the same name sounds too good to be true, and indeed FURRYe38 has recommended not doing that.

I think I'll stick to the two separate bands.

Message 8 of 11
kevanp
Tutor

Hi schumaku

I don't think I'm in the right paygrade to understand what you are saying. What is an STA?

Thanks all the same

Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Sorry, every computer, mobile phone, access point radio is designated STA (Station).

Well possible your old router did not had any kind of "Smart Connect" functionality - and you had the same name on the 2.4 and the 5 GHz radio up in the air regardless. There was a time where Netgear had not allowed the same SSID on more than one radio config. This limitation was removed from Genie (ie. the Web UI) a longer time ago.

Unless you are a network admin who want to hard code each client to a defined radio there can't be any reason for having radio specific names. Something more for the elderly - and hey I'm 56. 8-) Here at home I'm operating now ten dedicated wireless access points, most on low or medium power to limit reach and interference. One is a R9000, six are Insight managed WAC, and the others are some average or early 802.11ac 2x2 or 3x3 units. And everything is on one wireless name. Why? Well, almost all my wireless devices are highly portable, very few are bound so some fixed locations (printers, media players, and some IP cameras). And if a wireless access point goes down, does select a new 5 GHz channel due to radar interference, or gets a new software all clients can retain the connectivity.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

AT some pointm if you want something that has Smart Connect, you could get an AP or Router with this feature and use it as your main AP connected to the R7800 if you want. I've done this with mine. Turned off the radios on the R7800 and used an AP device with Smart Connect. Works well and a good alternative. 

Yes Smart Connect is a Broadcom based feature. Other router Mfrs including NG use this in there dual and tri band router products. IT's it's own separate feature that works with other Mfr chip sets besides Broadcom. 

Some basic info:

http://blog.dlink.com/what-is-smart-connect-technology/

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/32653-asus-rt-ac3200-smart-connect-the-missi...

STA=Clients i.e. mobile phones and wifi devices. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7