Comcast IPv6 compatibility with R8000

big_j_ny
Aspirant

Comcast IPv6 compatibility with R8000

Considering I have seen on many of the firmware discussion threads (some posts from myself) concerning getting intermittent connections with the router's IPv6 settings enabled, I am just wondering if these Nighthawk routers are even compatible to use the IPv6 connections from ISP's such as Comcast.

When I looked at Comcast's "IPv6-approved devices" list, it only showed that Netgear's older N900 dual-band routers were compatible with their IPv6 connections.

Just wondering if there is anyone that has some information about this more importantly since the R8000 has IPv6 settings within their firmware itself
Message 1 of 8
garyrh
Novice

Re: Comcast IPv6 compatibility with R8000

I had some issues with ipv6 with earlier firmwares with my R8000 but with the latest I have not had any so far. Before I had some web pages would not load with ipv6 enabled and now with the latest firmware this seems fixed now. All pages I had problems with now load.
Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Selecting auto detect has worked for me with R8000 & R7000...Comcast
Message 3 of 8
big_j_ny
Aspirant

searay, I used auto-detect on the previous non-beta FW for the R8000 (FW 1.0.0.102_1.0.45)..........and I immediately had poor connection throughout with my all of my wireless connections.

It even got to the point where it was damn near impossible to connect to the the router with an android phone AND consistent intermittent drop page with my PC's wireless adapter (a Netgear A6200).

How did you avoid getting intermittent connection when you turned on the R8000's IPv6 settings? Did you have to power cycle both the modem and router right after you activate the IPv6 settings or was your connection stable right after you activated IPv6?
Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Selected auto detect and rebooted router only. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting is required to get IPV6 IP on a client.
Message 5 of 8
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Hi Garyrh,

May I know which firmware fixes your IPv6 issuse? Is it the Beta FW V1.0.1.12 or the v1.0.0.110_1.0.70 ?
Message 6 of 8
garyrh
Novice

Both the beta and new released firmware I have had no problems with websites loading that were not loading before. All firmware before these I have had problems with some website not loading.
Message 7 of 8
big_j_ny
Aspirant

So I did what you said searay AND attempt IPv6 one more time with my R8000.

Sadly enough, it is still coming up with the same symptoms that I had last time when I first used IPv6 on this router with the older firmware.

The link rate was constantly intermittent with dropping connections following each time.

When I disabled IPv6 and power cycled both my SB6141 and R8000, the connection was stable again.

So yeah even the newest official firmware release still hasn't stabilized the connection throughout for IPv6 yet for my R8000.

searay wrote:
Selected auto detect and rebooted router only. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting is required to get IPV6 IP on a client.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E