• 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Comcast changed modem. Can't log in to R7000

Comcast came out and changed modem now I can connect wire-less to R7600 router w/ devices but no internet connection. I've tried all the typical router log-ins none work. The only one that works is the 10.0.0.1 and it takes me to the Comcast XFinity modem. It shows the R7000 online:

Online Devices
Host Name DHCP/Reserved IP RSSI Level Connection
MAIN_PC DHCP NA Ethernet
R7000

IPV4 Address
IPV6 Address
Local Link IPV6 Address
MAC Address
04:A1:51:C4:C6:F3

I'm guessing I need to log-in to R7000 to setup new modem. How do I get in??

I tried to login w/ 10.0.0.7 w/ Chrome and IE but it will not connect.

BF
Message 1 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Comcast changed modem. Can't log in to R7000

It seems like your new modem is also a router. You may have the option to set it into Bridged Mode, otherwise you could reconfigure the R7000 as an Access point. This is perhaps easiest achieved by factory resetting the R7000 and running through the setup process again.
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Mmmm...hold it. So COMCAST put a new modem in from of your NightHawk; correct? At either router you want to login to - connect a wired connection to get an IP address. Then open a browser and key in that IP. You should know your router login's.
Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Disconnected R7000 and reset Comcast modem then re-connected R7000 and it came up w/ set-up page and was able to get it connected and wireless up and running.

Now the issue I have is I cannot get my Epson WF7610 printer to print both Ethernet and wireless. Spent about an hour on the phone w/ Epson last night. If I set up printer on the Comcast modem w/ Ethernet cable the printer IP is 10.0.0.7. The Comcast modem IP is 10.0.0.1. However, when I set-up the wireless connection on the printer the IP address is something like 196.0.1.114. Epson said this is the problem but could not figure out how to make it work. Support had me move my PC Ethernet connection from the Comcast router to the R7000 which it would then print but after I got of phone w/ Epson I found the PC no longer had internet connection.

What is the best way to resolve this? How can I get the R7000 IP address where it is in the same series as the Comcast router?
Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If the Comcast gateway is in router mode then the R7000 must be in AP mode!

If the Comcast gateway is used in bridge mode then you CANNOT or shouldn't use any other port other than port 1 to router WAN port. And the r7000 must be in Router mode.

seeing that you're posting here looking for help/advise I would strongly suggest you set the r7000 to AP mode and leave the Comcast gateway in router mode. You should also change channels to be sure you're not causing your own interference by having two devices using same channel(s).

If the two aren't separated (located in different rooms connected via Cat5) then turn off the WIFI in the gateway if using it in router mode. This is done automatically in bridge mode.
Message 5 of 11
Highlighted
Mentor

Blueforester wrote:
However, when I set-up the wireless connection on the printer the IP address is something like 196.0.1.114.

"Something like" leaves a tremendous grey area.

A 196 ip address is a public ip address, which might be because your epson is connected "directly" to the internet, but if it were more like a 192.168. address, then it might be connected to a router other than the Comcast one.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

searay,

Thanks for reply. Obvious I'm not that proficient w/ networking. Both modem and R7000 located by PC and connected w/ Cat5. R7000 is connected to port #1 on modem. After Comcast left I reset everythng and connected R7000. I could connect devices wireless to R7000 but no internet service. So I logged into the Comcast modem and turned the WIFI off otherwise it was not pass internet to WIFI devices or laptop connected to LAN port on R7000.

I'm not sure about the "channels"? I'm going to get into router this evening and verify the AP mode setting.
Message 7 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

fordem,

Yes. I apologize. I was at work and had this on my mind when I submitted. Home now and the IP for Epson when I set up the wireless connection w/ the R7000 is actually 192.168.1.114. But then I cannot add printer to PC. If I reset the printer, and set-up Epson on PC first, I can see and add the printer on two different PCs. But once I set-up printer WIFI connection w/ the R7000 the PCs will no longer print to the EPSON??

Thanks for the help!

Blue
Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Blue, I also have an Epson WiFi printer (WF-4360). I have it turned off most of the time. When we want to use it, we turn on the printer and it appears on the wireless. Since both computers that use it have been configured to see and use it after getting the printer up, they can both use it.

Not clear what problems you're having...If you have a gateway from Comcast, and want to use the gateway just as a cable modem, then put the Comcast gateway in bridge mode. Then you can use the R7000 for all your routing and wireless. If you only want to use the R7000 in AP mode without at least some of the features available when it's being used as a router, then leave the Comcast gateway in router mode, and turn off the wireless radios on the Comcast gateway.

I don't know what you have in terms of your Comcast gateway, but I'd be surprised if it was as good of a router as the R7000, or provided as many features. So my inclination would be to put the Comcast gateway into bridge mode, and use the R7000 for all your routing and wireless needs.
Message 9 of 11
Highlighted
Mentor

Which port on the R7000 connects to port one on the Comcast modem? Is anything besides the R7000 connected directly to the Comcast modem?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks guys for all the help. Not sure exactly what I have. But I did turn off the Comcast WIFI and enabled the AP mode on the R7000. That fixed the issue of not being able to print from both the WIFI devices and PCs. I've got print test pages all over the floor!!
There is probably a better way to set this up to get more out of the R7000 than what I've got. And I may try to get into that more when I get more time. But at least now the wife will be happy and off my back!!

Thanks again!

Blue
Message 11 of 11