chester047
Aspirant

Comcast speeds dropped dramatically.

Hello all,

I’m having problems with my Comcast internet speeds and need help!
6 months ago I purchased a Netgear AC1600 C6250 to replace my leased xfinity set up. Initially all was great, my speeds were 150 +Mbps.

Mid April my speeds dropped to 5Mbps, I called Comcast after resetting and power cycling several times, they said it was my modem, they sent a tech to the house, he replaced a cable connector and did a “software update” from his phone and I was back in business.

Today my speed is less than 1Mbps! After calling Comcast twice and repeating the power cycle routine again and talking to two different reps they came back to “it’s your modem”.

I’m about to go to FIOS and tell Comcast to pound salt! Has anyone had similar problems? Is there a solution?

Any advice would be awesome!
Thanks
Message 1 of 7
William10a
Master

Re: Comcast speeds dropped dramatically.

Log into your modem signal logs and check them a weak signal could make you have modem problems.

Message 2 of 7
chester047
Aspirant

Thanks, I’ll do that.
Strangely enough Comcast sent me an email reporting my speeds would be increase to 300 mbps the day I started having problems.
Message 3 of 7
chester047
Aspirant

Well just had another Comcast tech at the house, he changed all the connections and checked the line.

Comcast is saying they don’t do the firmware updates, that Netgear is responsible, citing “what if we pushed the wrong update?”

So here I am paying for 250 and getting 70mbps if I’m lucky.

Can anyone help???
Message 4 of 7
William10a
Master

This the war that goes on between the isps and the makers of the modems that we can buy but not give any of the updates for the modem.

The cable based isp says the modem maker needs to update the modem but the maker says that the cable based isp needs to issue the update a cache 22 and you are the loser.

The isp has make sure that the modem is set to their standards to work with the network they have so thats why have to issue it, that's why they want you to use their modem so all they need is too manage one standard firmware push to their devices and no ones else's in fact most do not even want to try repair in any way your non isp issued device.

Message 5 of 7
chester047
Aspirant

So essentially I’m stuck with a modem I can’t get the most out of?
Should I toss it in the trash and be forced to rent theirs?
Message 6 of 7
William10a
Master

Have you checked the signal levels at the modem, if the upstream is high say above 50 or 51 mv that could also to a issue?

Yes it seems that they have you if the signal levels are good.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements