Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Compatability - Plex Media Server on Nighthawk R9000 and LG TV

dreyfus
Tutor

Compatability - Plex Media Server on Nighthawk R9000 and LG TV

I am thinking of upgrading from Nighthawk X8 to X10. The main reason is the embedded Plex Media Server software and the powerful CPU.  I have a 2013 LG Smart TV which is not compatible with the PMS app and I don't want to buy a new TV as well, if I can avoid it. 

My video files are on a Seagate PesonalCloud NAS which will be plugged into a ethernet port of the X10. The Seagate has PMS app onboard but won't run, presumably because of the TV issue.

My question is this: Can I run PMS directly from the Nighthawk X10 and therfore bypass the PMS compatibility issue of my TV?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Compatability - Plex Media Server on Nighthawk R9000 and LG TV

@dreyfus wrote:

Is this what you mean - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Q-BOX-Android-6-0-TV-BOX-KODI-17-1-Media-Player-Quad-Core-2-16G-4K-HDMI-K...

This is the one we have, its 8 core and rappid, I believe it is alreadyy rooded, if not., it was easy to do.

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Have you tried  Xplay, we use that on our LG TV, it works and looks like PMS, you can try it free to check.

X10 aren't all that much better than other simular routers , Asus is better though, the X10 also has a lot of problems and feels like a Beta testing router.

Regards

Message 2 of 8
dreyfus
Tutor

@Bartman007 wrote:

Have you tried  Xplay, we use that on our LG TV, it works and looks like PMS, you can try it free to check.

X10 aren't all that much better than other simular routers , Asus is better though, the X10 also has a lot of problems and feels like a Beta testing router.

Regards

Thanks for your reply - My LG TV is 2013 model, pre WebOS apparently. When I go to the app store I am told Plex apps aren't avaiable for my model becuse it can't run WebOS. Built-in obsolescence if you ask me. Any other suggestions? Good to know about the X10 though.

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Android TV box, again, we have one on 1st edition  sharp Aquos 1080p LCD TV, the box runs kodi and you can get PMS on Android, a good 8 core one will set you back (UK Pound, sorry) £50, it will also make your TV into a great media system .

Regards

Message 4 of 8
dreyfus
Tutor

I will look into this solution. It sounds similar to the Roku my ISP provided, although I have discovered I would have to crack it to developer mode to download any more apps to it.

Message 5 of 8
dreyfus
Tutor

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@dreyfus wrote:

Is this what you mean - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Q-BOX-Android-6-0-TV-BOX-KODI-17-1-Media-Player-Quad-Core-2-16G-4K-HDMI-K...

This is the one we have, its 8 core and rappid, I believe it is alreadyy rooded, if not., it was easy to do.

Regards

Message 7 of 8
dreyfus
Tutor

Just purchased it on Ebay. Looks like the answer. Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7