Compatible External Hard Drive R8000

MarcoCat
Aspirant

Compatible External Hard Drive R8000

I'm looking to instal an external hard drive to my r8000.
I read that if the hard drive has special software it won't work, just wondering if there was a list of hard drives that work.

Looking for 4gb or more, ideally 6-8gb

Power supply not a problem if needed.

More just to back up pictures and some files, so not willing to spend the money right now for a NAS.

Thank you

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
IrvSp
Master

Re: Compatible External Hard Drive R8000

@MarcoCat wrote:

I read that if the hard drive has special software it won't work

Where did you read that?

There is a LIST, but it isn't probably complete, just what NG 'claims' to have tested.

Portable drives will draw power from the USB port, and generally speaking, this could cause a problem. I'd stay away from them.

Anyway, here is the list as of 2 months ago, https://kb.netgear.com/18985/Will-my-USB-drive-work-with-ReadySHARE

For what it is worth, my 4TB WD MyBook 25EE that I've had for over a year works on my R8000, not on that list.

Message 2 of 5
myersw
Master

I agree with @IrvSp in that the list of USB drives will be far from comprehensive. Think of how often manufacturers put out a "new" drive, bigger, better, faster. Some folks find that they need to power the drive externally as the router cannot provide the needed power. 

Soapbox on:

Routers are meant to support networks and not to also act as NAS devices, IMHO. Better to get a NAS and network attach. Will, in my experience, be less headaches in the long run. 

Soapbox off:

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 5
MarcoCat
Aspirant

thanks for both responses...

agreed that the NAS would be the best long term...but just not willing to dish out that much money right now.

I'll definitely look for one with a power source.

Any preference for a 6gb drive as i see on the list they all top out at 4gb

thanks

Message 4 of 5
IrvSp
Master

@MarcoCat wrote:

Any preference for a 6gb drive as i see on the list they all top out at 4gb

If you get one that size, make sure you can return it without a penalty. I say that because I've seen NO posts here that that size works. That doesn't mean it doesn't, just that posts of that size usually say it doesn't work. Even have complaints posted here on 4TB drives.

A lot I think had to with with the format and layout of the drive. NTFS or ExtFat seem to be the less troublesome. Self-powered ones have less problem reports as well. However drives that have more than one Partition seems to have some problem reports here.

Again, it is possible that the specific router and firmware you have might not work but a different router model and firmware might.

This is no surefire answer here. My My Book 4TB works but it doesn't guarantee it will for you. I had to re-format it to NTFS by the way (it is the newer My Book model that works for Mac's and PC's out of the box and is formatted ExtFat because of this. It wasn't the router that forced me to do this, but my Dell XPS... it would NOT boot with the drive connected. It might be fixed now, but when I got that drive it was 2 BIOS's ago, and that BIOS could not read ExtFat to see if it was bootable. Formatting to NTFS allows me to move it back to the PC if I want to keep it there over boots.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E