Compatible External Hard Drives?

lennyr
Tutor

Compatible External Hard Drives?

I have tried two USB 3.0 external hard drives and neither of them were recognized, but plugging in USB flash drives confirmed that the router and USB connection work.

The ReadyShare compatibility page here

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18985/~/readyshare-usb-drives-compatibility-list

does not have a listing for the R8000, so I am at a loss for what to do in order to use the R8000's drive sharing feature. Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Compatible External Hard Drives?

I would probably suggest to follow R7000 list. In the near future they may add R8000 in the page.

Just remember that there are other drives that may works but list are good border line to see as most common available drive from location stores.

You can ask support if there is list they can share with you.
My.netgear.com portal and put ticket in 🙂
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 5
lennyr
Tutor

I got it to work. In case this will be useful to others, I used Seagate DiskWizard to format the drive as Fat32 using MBR. Plugged it in, rebooted the router, and it recognized. Seems to be working fine now.
Message 3 of 5
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Thanks for the info. Just for verification. Would you mind answering the following questions:

1. What is the file format of your two external HD prior to configuring it to FAT32?
2. What is tha capacity of each external HD?
3. Can you provide the specific model numbers of your external HD?

Thanks,
Message 4 of 5
lennyr
Tutor

minions08 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Just for verification. Would you mind answering the following questions:

1. What is the file format of your two external HD prior to configuring it to FAT32?
2. What is tha capacity of each external HD?
3. Can you provide the specific model numbers of your external HD?

Thanks,

I tried various file formats on the drives before trying FAT32. NTFS, exFAT, with both GPT and MBR. I also tried a few block sizes. None of those combinations worked.

Both drives I tried were Seagate. One is a 2TB Barracuda LP (ST32000542AS), and the other is a 1.5TB Barracuda. One enclosure (the one that is working now) RX 358. The other one is a Vantec NexStar drive dock.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E