Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Computers in Network Cannot Access Eachother

Jayden67
Aspirant

Computers in Network Cannot Access Eachother

I have a network with 3 computers and various other devices, and the computers cannot access eachother.  Before switching from a Dlink router to the Netgear Nighthawk there was no problem.  2 of the computers (Win7) are wired and the third (Ubuntu) is a wireless laptop.  The wireless laptop cannot   
access either wired computer, however, the wired computers can access the laptop, but not eachother.  All three computers are visible in Netgear Genie, can connect to the internet, and have no problem accessing other devices on the network.  Access Control is not enabled and all devices are on the same subnet.  

By “access” I mean that the computers don't respond to eachother's pings, will not allow remote desktop, or FTP connections. I'm not trying to setup Windows file sharing or workgroups. 

Any assistance troubleshooting the router's settings is greatly appreciated.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Computers in Network Cannot Access Eachother

@Jayden67 wrote:

My old DLink router had an IP address scheme of 192.168.0.X while the Nighthawk’s is 192.168.1.X.  The change in router IP address has caused issues with other devices on the network.  I don’t have much experience configuring Windows Firewall settings, where do I add the router’s IP address?

Did you read message 2?

Do you understand what I was saying?

Selecting Home changes firewall settings.

When changing routers the new router has a different MAC Address, the WIN 7 machines see that change and automatically sets the firewall settings to PUBLIC.... YOU MUST SELECT  "HOME"   OPEN NETWORK AND SHARING ....right click over the network adapter connection icon ...bottom right....

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

make sure home network is selected in windows

Message 2 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Are the device IP Addresses in the same octet as it was under Dlink? That is the same IP Address is used for the router login?

If not, then it is possible the F/W on the devices is not allowing the connection. All you need to do is add the router IP Address to the device firewalls.

Message 3 of 9
Jayden67
Aspirant

My old DLink router had an IP address scheme of 192.168.0.X while the Nighthawk’s is 192.168.1.X.  The change in router IP address has caused issues with other devices on the network.  I don’t have much experience configuring Windows Firewall settings, where do I add the router’s IP address?

Message 4 of 9
IrvSp
Master

The 'easiest' might be to change the router IP address to 198.168.0.1? You can do that on ADVANCED --> LAN Setup, IP Address, change it there, and then do apply. Might need to shutdown all devices and re-boot them if they don't pick up the new IP Address and connect automatically.

Otherwise it would be in the firewall setting for 'known' good IP Addresses. Don't use Windows Firewall so I can't find where to set that to allow the network address to go through.

Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Jayden67 wrote:

Did you read message 2?

Do you understand what I was saying?

When changing routers the new router has a different MAC Address, the WIN 7 machines see that change and automatically sets the firewall settings to PUBLIC.... YOU MUST SELECT  "HOME"   OPEN NETWORK AND SHARING ....right click over the network adapter connection icon ...bottom right....

Message 6 of 9
Jayden67
Aspirant

@searay wrote:

make sure home network is selected in windows

Changing the network type from Public network to Home network allowed one of the computers to become fully accessible on the network.  The other computer was already set to Home network.

I then checked on the firewall and discovered that it was not active for Home or Work network on the working computer but was on for the other computer which was already set to Home network.  I turned off the firewall and now all three of my computers can access each other same as before.

Message 7 of 9
Jayden67
Aspirant

@searay wrote:

When changing routers the new router has a different MAC Address, the WIN 7 machines see that change and automatically sets the firewall settings to PUBLIC....  

Thanks for explaining how/why the firewall settings changed.  The most frustrating part of this was that everything had been working fine for years. And then without making any configuration changes to the computers (other than updating IP addresses), none of my services could connect. Now I know what to expect in the future when this router eventually needs to be replaced.

Message 8 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Don't know what you are using for a Firewall, I assume the one standard with Windows, but you really should have one running. Just set it to allow the router IP Address as one it recognizes.

This should help you, http://www.howtogeek.com/112564/how-to-create-advanced-firewall-rules-in-the-windows-firewall/.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7