Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Configuration file NETGEAR

Frankhere1
Aspirant

Configuration file NETGEAR

Folks, I have done this before  - back up my router's config file (.cfg)  for later use and 'just in case' conditions.

I have not been able to back up  the 1.0.4.12  firmware as I replaced it with 1.0.4.18   update.

I cannot back up the 1.0.4.18   update either.

It is a simple process done from the administration tab ( under ADVANCED) - yet when I  go to SAVE the file and choose a folder  it thinks I am looking for a cfg file to restore ( and yes I have checked the SAVE box).

Any one have this issue and solved it?

Thanks

Frankhere

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Frankhere1
Aspirant

UPDATE:  

After playing around I found that I COULD Save the file if I right-clicked on the mouse , then hit save I did deposit the file into my 'DOWNLOAD'  folder.

It just does not ( did not, would not) cooperate with me to let ME pick the folder to deposit the file.... ( jheesh!)

Thanks for your help

----------------------------------------

I  am not confused... I want to back up my existing config of the router...

I have done this before.  Yet when I go to SAVE the file it does not allow me to do this.

1. Save a copy of the current settings:   I  hit the backup icon

2.  I now see a screen that says ' You have chosen to open:

NETGEAR_Nighthawk X6 R8000.cfg

Yet I click on  SAVE FILE   to save a copy  

3. I also hit BROWSE to select where I  want to put this file    BUT:
4.  It thinks I  am looing for a file to open  -  once I  browse it only gives me the option

to OPEN  or CANCEL , but not to SAVE.

I have tried this several times and get the same result ( as expected)... 

As of today  I cannot SAVE a cfg

thanks

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
ghentj
Star

I also had issues with 1.0.4.18, (internet stops working), and was able to go back to the 1.0.4.12 firmware from this link: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r8000.aspx#download

Open the View Previous Versions at the bottom, expand 1.0.4.12 and download the zip file.

Unzip the file, then point to that under the Admin, Router Update page, point to the unzipped CHK file.

The cfg file is if you reset your router and want to load back the save settings.

I'm not sure if you put cfg, but meant chk, but i was able to restore the older firmware without a problem, and my internet is working great now even after 24 hours.

@Frankhere1 wrote:

Folks, I have done this before  - back up my router's config file (.cfg)  for later use and 'just in case' conditions.

I have not been able to back up  the 1.0.4.12  firmware as I replaced it with 1.0.4.18   update.

I cannot back up the 1.0.4.18   update either.

It is a simple process done from the administration tab ( under ADVANCED) - yet when I  go to SAVE the file and choose a folder  it thinks I am looking for a cfg file to restore ( and yes I have checked the SAVE box).

Any one have this issue and solved it?

Thanks

Frankhere

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 6
IrvSp
Master

Works FINE for me. I'm using FireFox and it is set to send all my 'downloads' to a specific folder. I backed up .12 before, and now .18 and it is designated as a (1) after the name.

==========

K:\Inet DL>dir netg*
 Volume in drive K is Disk_K
 Volume Serial Number is 0F0B-10C0

Directory of K:\Inet DL

05/26/2018  07:38 PM            65,656 NETGEAR_Nighthawk X6 R8000(1).cfg
03/31/2018  09:48 AM            65,656 NETGEAR_Nighthawk X6 R8000.cfg
               2 File(s)        131,312 bytes

===============

See the dates they were done?

Suspect something more to do with your Browser? Cache might need to be cleared or try another one?

Message 3 of 6
IrvSp
Master

I re-read your messsage. Are you getting confused between 'backup' and 'restore'?

See the JPG on the right for what I see on that tab and circled the BACKUP which will take the EXISTING settings in the Router and write it to disk. Restore will do the opposite, take a saved BACKUP file and load it into the router (not wise to do after upgrading).

Just wanted to make sure we both understood what you posted.

Message 4 of 6
Frankhere1
Aspirant

UPDATE:  

After playing around I found that I COULD Save the file if I right-clicked on the mouse , then hit save I did deposit the file into my 'DOWNLOAD'  folder.

It just does not ( did not, would not) cooperate with me to let ME pick the folder to deposit the file.... ( jheesh!)

Thanks for your help

----------------------------------------

I  am not confused... I want to back up my existing config of the router...

I have done this before.  Yet when I go to SAVE the file it does not allow me to do this.

1. Save a copy of the current settings:   I  hit the backup icon

2.  I now see a screen that says ' You have chosen to open:

NETGEAR_Nighthawk X6 R8000.cfg

Yet I click on  SAVE FILE   to save a copy  

3. I also hit BROWSE to select where I  want to put this file    BUT:
4.  It thinks I  am looing for a file to open  -  once I  browse it only gives me the option

to OPEN  or CANCEL , but not to SAVE.

I have tried this several times and get the same result ( as expected)... 

As of today  I cannot SAVE a cfg

thanks

Message 5 of 6
Frankhere1
Aspirant

UPDATE:  

After playing around I found that I COULD Save the file if I reight-clicked on the mouse , then hit save

I did deposit the file into my 'DOWNLOAD'  folder.

Thanks for your help

Yes, I too am using Firefox .

I also am on Windows 10.

JUst a note - I have issues with Chrome trying to do the same (* fyi only, and not looking to increase the complexity)

ALso checked to see if I have the Latest Chrome and I  am up to date  - something I  puruse regularly.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7