Configure Nighthawk R7000 & AT&T GBW210-700

theARCHITECT
Aspirant

Configure Nighthawk R7000 & AT&T GBW210-700

The below steps are what I performed to get my network back to stable.  It is now up and running very solidly.  Big thank you to UName Professor_FERPS on the AT&T site

Speeds near the router are 360 MBps+ Up and Down

Speeds near the Extnder are 150 Down & 240 Up

Issue:

Network was flapping and dropping all connections randomly.  I installed the WiFi Explorer App (Mac Application) so that I could see where my network conflicts were.

Network Needs/setup:

My house runs mainly Apple products I have a 5100 sq ft to cover.  I have my router in my basement theater room and the extender is in the Master bedroom on the top floor (basement is 1 top is 3).  This setup covers my garage where I have need to use wifi as well. 

Equipment:

1 Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router - firmware version V1.0.9.64_10.2.64 I’ll upgrade to 1.0.9.88 1/13/2020)

1 Netgear Nighthawk EX8000 extender.

AT&T GBW210-700 Modem

What I did in the Netgear Nighthawk Router:

1. Login => Click Advanced Tab => Setup => Wireless Setup
  2. Change 2.4 GHz network channel to 1
    1. Channels 1 / 6 / 11 are designed to prevent overlap and collisions with your neighbors who all have Netgear Nighthawk routers too (90+% of my neighbors are running Netgear)
  3. Change 5GHz network to change 64 dfs (<<< google if you don’t about this)
    1. Apply changes
  4. In left hand navigation click LAN Setup
  5. Change IP Address to something not in 10.0.0.0 – 100.0.0.0
    1. The AT&T modem required this change
  6. I changed the IP to 11.0.0.1 and Subnet to 255.128.0.0
    1. Save the changes

What I did in the AT&T Modem:

I manually “Factory Reset” the AT&T GBW210-700 by pressing the red reset button on the back of the device for 10+ seconds, to clear any prior settings I made on the device. Once it boots up normally, log into the GBW210-700 on IP address 192.168.1.254.  I made sure my Netgear Nighthawk router was configured in Router mode (not Access Point, Bridge or any other mode)

1. Go to Home Network
    1. Disable WiFi radios for both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz
  2. Go to Firewall=>Packet Filter.
    1. Press “Disable Packet Filters.”
  3. Go to Firewall=>IP Passthrough
    1. Set Allocation Mode to “Passthrough.”
    2. Set Passthrough mode to “DHCPS-fixed.”
    3. On Passthrough Fixed MAC address, select the IP address/MAC address of your router, so that it populates the Manual Entry field. Also make note of the IP address your secondary router is using.
    4. Do Not make any changes to Passthrough DHCP lease.
    5. Save Changes.
  4. Go to Firewall=>Firewall Advanced.
    1. Change all settings to “On” then save changes.
  5. Go to Home Network=>Subnets & DHCP.
    1. Set Cascaded Router Enable to “On.”
    2. For Cascaded Router Address, type in the IP address the AT&T router assigned to the ASUS router.
    3. For Network Address, type in the Gateway address of the Netgear Nighthawk router, but use a “0” instead of a “1” for the final octet. So for this example, I typed in 11.0.0.0.
    4. For Subnet Mask, type in the Subnet Mask of the NetGear Nighthawk router (in this example, 255.128.0.0).
    5. Save the Changes.
  6. Go to Device => Restart Device.
    1. Restart the GBW210-700.
  7. When you can access the Netgear Nighthawk router again, “Restart” the router after the modem is up.

I wish you all the Best!

Some notes from the article that helped me:

1. I can’t say with certainly that Disabling Packet Filtering and turning off the Firewall Advanced Rules are mandatory but doing so disables the NAT Default Server on the GBW210, and that was helpful for my purposes.
  2. It took a bit, but when I checked the status of my ASUS router, it showed that I was getting the AT&T public IP address, instead of a locally assigned IP from the GBW210-700.
    1. Not only does my ASUS router show the AT&T public IP address, when I checked my Xbox Live Network status, it reported NAT Status as “open.” Up until I made these changes, it reported the NAT status as “Strict,” and indicated that a “Double NAT” was detected.
  3. I did not set an IP Address Allocation for the ASUS router. This seems counter-intuitive to me, but based on my previous efforts, I think that setting was actually getting in the way of making this work. Configuring the IP Passthrough options accomplishes the same thing.

I also disabled the wireless radios on the GBW210-700, via the Home Network=>Wi-Fi=>Advanced Options. If you disable the Packet Filtering and Firewall settings, this becomes mandatory, since you don’t want any of your home network devices using them unprotected.

Message 1 of 10
antinode
Guru

Re: Configure Nighthawk R7000 & AT&T GBW210-700

> 5. Change IP Address to something not in 10.0.0.0 - 100.0.0.0
>     1. The AT&T modem required this change

Not likely.  What led you to this (erroneous) conclusion?

> 6. I changed the IP to 11.0.0.1 and Subnet to 255.128.0.0

Not a good idea.  Among other reasons, "11.*.*.*" belongs to the US
DoD:

https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-11-0-0-0-1/pft?s=11.0.0.1

Message 2 of 10
theARCHITECT
Aspirant

@antinode ... I've been waiting for you... Is your network up and running and you have no flaws? If so sir I bid you good day!

Be Blessed and prosper for long days.

Message 3 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] AT&T GBW210-700 Modem

"BGW210-700"?  Also, it's a "gateway" (modem+router), not a simple
modem.

> [...] I made sure my Netgear Nighthawk router was configured in
> Router mode (not Access Point, Bridge or any other mode) [...]

Why?  If the router in the BGW210-700 is left active, then this is
probably also a poor idea.  Cascading multiple routers can cause
multiple problems, and there seems to be no reason given here for doing
it.  If you've managed to configure the BGW210-700 as a modem-only, then
that would make more sense, but that's not obvious to me from your
description.

> [...] the ASUS router.

"Arris"?  Is this the same as the (Arris) "AT&T GBW210-700 Modem", or
some other device?  At least one of us is confused.

> [...] Is your network up and running and you have no flaws? [...]

My network doesn't have the crazy addressing scheme which you seem to
be advising.

Message 4 of 10
theARCHITECT
Aspirant

@antinode You seem to have a ton of free time sir.  I'd like to you prove me wrong in what I have done.  Please factory reset your Arris BGW210-700 modem and your Nighthawk R7000 routher then walk through the steps that I have simply placed here sir.  If the steps are faulty then by all means please point out my misteps to help others who may be having issues. 

The idea, tone and connotation of your replies indicate you are looking for an arguement.  You won't get one here today.  As well you have no idea what I do for a living and you are assuming that I'm clueless... I like when people do that.

By the end fo the day I need you to know 1 thing and 1 thing only, as I can tell you have not heard this enough in your life... I love you!

theArchitect

Message 5 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] If the steps are faulty then by all means please point out my
> misteps to help others who may be having issues.

Which part of the following was unclear?:

>    Not a good idea.  Among other reasons, "11.*.*.*" belongs to the US
> DoD:
>
>       https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-11-0-0-0-1/pft?s=11.0.0.1

Compare with, for example:

https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-10-0-0-0-1/pft?s=10.0.0.1
      https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-192-168-0-0-1/pft?s=192.168.1.1

> 4. For Subnet Mask, type in the Subnet Mask of the NetGear Nighthawk
> router (in this example, 255.128.0.0).

Also a very poor idea.  Anything wider than "255.255.255.0" tends to
cause trouble with these routers.

But it is nice to see that you've corrected some of your (faulty)

maker and model-number information.

Message 6 of 10
theARCHITECT
Aspirant

@antinode ... I won't be responding after this unless you have a proper question.

Did you factory reset you modem and router and try the steps from my original post?  If not you are speaking out of theory as you have no fact that what I have implemented that won't work.  

Because I don't have the time to write you a paper on NAT I will state this twice below and hopefully you'll understand why my using 11.0.0.0 and Subnet Mask 255.128.0.0 aren't causing and issue and my network works....

The below is in laymans terms ... if you need more then you'll need to go and get a book or check a youTube video out... 

My privagte network has the IP Range of 11.0.0.0 - 11.0.0.254 (Private - Not Global or Public) and when a request goes to the internet to make a google search it goes out through my Netgear router with the IP assigend by my Arris Modem that is public.  My Private IP is translated into my Public IP and my google search request is made and returned back to my computer via NAT from the Arris Modem to & through my Netgear router and rendered in my browser on my wifi attached device. 

Quick Google Search ..."What is NAT?"

Q. What is NAT?  <<< click for source

A. Network Address Translation (NAT) is designed for IP address conservation. It enables private IP networks that use unregistered IP addresses to connect to the Internet. NAT operates on a router, usually connecting two networks together, and translates the private (not globally unique) addresses in the internal network into legal addresses, before packets are forwarded to another network.

As part of this capability, NAT can be configured to advertise only one address for the entire network to the outside world. This provides additional security by effectively hiding the entire internal network behind that address. NAT offers the dual functions of security and address conservation and is typically implemented in remote-access environments.

theArchitect

Message 7 of 10
antinode
Guru

> Did you factory reset you modem and router and try the steps from my
> original post? If not you are speaking out of theory as you have no
> fact that what I have implemented that won't work.

Of course I have not duplicated your (crazy) procedure on my network.
If the experiment involves striking my head with a large hammer, then I
don't need to run that experiment to conclude that doing so would be
unwise.

> >       https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-11-0-0-0-1/pft?s=11.0.0.1
>
> Compare with, for example:
>
>       https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-10-0-0-0-1/pft?s=10.0.0.1
>       https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-192-168-0-0-1/pft?s=192.168.1.1

Did you?

> My privagte network has the IP Range of 11.0.0.0 - 11.0.0.254 (Private
- Not Global or Public) [...]

As previously shown, "11.0.0.0/8" is not a Private anything; it's
managed by the US DoD.  In the real world.  If you use those adresses on
your LAN, do you really expect to be able to reach the real DoD systems
which use those addresses legitimately?

> [...] I won't be responding after this unless you have a proper
> question.

Punish me _more_ like that.  Please!  (Define "proper question"?)

Message 8 of 10
jch1
Aspirant

Thanks for the post OP, but I am a bit confused with your steps, specifically the part when you referenced Asus router (many times), since you originally said you have Netgear r7000 router and EX8000 extender. Do you mean to say Netgear R7000 router instead? Thanks!

Message 9 of 10
lotesjaf
Aspirant

Works like a charm!!! I follow step by step, it works in the first try, I used the IP you said without a problem.

Just the step :  < Change 5GHz network to change 64 dfs > 

because I didn't undestand, but it didn't affect

Thank you

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E