Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Conflicting networks when configuring 2 Nighthawk R8000 routers with one as an Access Point

I have 2 identical Netgear Nighthawk R8000 Ac3200 Tri-band wifi routers that were working fine as a single SSID wifi network with one as the router and one as an access point, until a power outage this week that took out the network.  I've rebooted the cable modem, and the routers and couldn't get wifi working.  I reset both routers and did a needed update of firmware (now at 1.0.4.46-10.1.63) and have tried to reconfigure the network. I have the main router setup and working with both ethernet, wifi and shared devices, but can't correctly configure the access point.   The access point won't recognize the main router's Wifi network even with directly connected to the router, and both are broadcasting their own SSID signals making shared network devices like printers unusable for range extension.  I did a factory reset on the access point and reconfigured attached to the main router's LAN port with no success.  I've also tried to configure the access point with it's wifi off, and using the direct defined IP address from the main router, rather than DHCP.  No change.  How can I get the access point router to recognize and broadcast the main network wifi SSID to recreate a single wifi network?

Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Sensei

Re: Conflicting networks when configuring 2 Nighthawk R8000 routers with one as an Access Point

> [...] I reset both routers [...]

Reconfiguring the R8000-as-wireless_access_point back to router mode.
Probably not necessary or especially wise.

> [...] can't correctly configure the access point.

"can't" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] I did a factory reset on the access point and reconfigured
> attached to the main router's LAN port with no success. I've also tried
> to configure the access point with it's wifi off, and using the direct
> defined IP address from the main router, rather than DHCP. [...]

You lost me.  What does "the direct defined IP address from the main
router" mean to you?

If you want to (re-)configure an R8000 as a WAP, then, first, visit
http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look for
Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "reset" and "Use
the Router as a Wireless Access Point".

Do a settings reset again, disconnect it from everything except its
power adapter and one computer.  Configure the wireless stuff however
you want it.  Then follow the WAP configuration procedure in the User
Manual.  _Then_ connect your R8000-as-WAP to the main router (as shown
in the User Manual).

Then, if you have trouble, report what you did and what happened when
you did it, LED indicators, and so on.  Omit vague/meaingless
descriptions or interpretations like "won't recognize" and "no success".

> How can I get the access point router to recognize and broadcast the
> main network wifi SSID to recreate a single wifi network?

You can't.  That not what a wireless access point does.  It uses its
own SSID, independent of the main router's SSID.  (But you can name them
the same if you wish.)  What it does is connect its wireless (and wired)
client devices to the main router's LAN.

Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Conflicting networks when configuring 2 Nighthawk R8000 routers with one as an Access Point

My dude, this reply is unhelpful and condescending on a fairly detailed post. Your suggestion to read the manual after this person has clearly tried everything seems misguided and unkind.

If you don't understand the problem, then just keep silent.

Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Sensei

> [...] this reply is unhelpful and condescending on a fairly detailed
> post. [...]

If you can provide better advice without more information, then you
have my permission to do so.

> [...] after this person has clearly tried everything [...]

If this person had "clearly tried everything" then there must be no
solution.  Which would be unfortunate, if true.

> If you don't understand the problem, then just keep silent.

_That_ was good advice.  Dude.

Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Sorry, let me try to be more specific, Sensei.  I did read the router manual before posting (all 191 pages).  Right or wrong, I did reset the router which was to be used as the access point to the factory settings, and then (tried several times) to set it to WAP mode on my LAN per the various (conflicting) support instructions.  Both routers now seem to be operating ok (no error codes, stable LED panel lights, fair speed tests, etc.) on a single network.  However, we have a multiple shared printers, Sonos, several NEST devices, Roku, voice assistants, wireless speakers, and several laptop and mobile devices.  Previously (before power outage and firmware upgrade), I had the same two Nighthawk routers configured as a router and access point, and there was only one SSID visible throughout the house (with corresponding 2.4 GHz, 5GHz-1, and 5Ghz-2 bands).  This enabled us to share fixed (wired ethernet) devices as well as allowing mobile wifi devices to roam on one network throughout the house without changing passwords or reconnecting.  I was trying to replicate this network configuration. I'm not a network expert, but I currently have one LAN network operational with the current router and WAP configured, but it has two SSIDs with two different passwords that require one to login or reconnect when roaming, and required me to update any wifi devices (like speakers and roku) to login with the new password if it is now connected to the WAP.  I've now reconfigured / logged everything into the network again, so at this point after 2 days of trying, I think I'm done here and will live with it as is. Previously, I was able to configure the same two routers to appear as a single wireless network.  It's now irrelevant how I tried to re-establish the wireless network, but since the upgrade, I have not been able to figure out how to replicate the previous single SSID network.  I've tried different configuration options and played with load balancing, smart connect, and implicit beamforming options.  I'm open to suggestions (you mentioned renaming the SSID), but at this point I will likely sit tight until I replace these routers with a better mesh network.

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Sensei

> [...] It's now irrelevant how I tried to re-establish the wireless
> network, [...]

Sure.  Until you need to do it again.  Recording how you do it when
you do it right makes it easier to do it the same (right) way again.
(I've found.)

> [...] I've tried different configuration options and played with load
> balancing, smart connect, and implicit beamforming options. [...]

"different configuration options" is not a very detailed description
of anything.  Other than "Smart Connect", what effect would you expect
any of those changes to have on your SSID names?

> [...] I'm open to suggestions (you mentioned renaming the SSID), [...]

If you don't like the current SSIDs (and/or passphrases) on one of
the R8000 units, then changing those SSIDs (and/or passphrases) would
seem to me to be the reasonable course.  But I don't want to twist your
arm.  Are you able to interact with the management web site on both
R8000 units?  (The R8000-as-WAP might require something other than a
"routerlogin" name, if your web-browser system is connected to the
R8000-as-router.)

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

I agree that only the Smart Connect option would have an impact on the SSIDs.  I've since shut that off as we seemed "smarter" at chosing than the router.  I thought I might also be able to improve range and performance of the network with the other options while I was at it. Limited impact, but certainly not worse than before.

And yes, I can get access to the web management consoles of both R8000s, if there is something else I should try.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 7