Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Confused about setting up Port Aggregation

Herbert323
Aspirant

Confused about setting up Port Aggregation

Hi, I just got a new S8000 switch that I wish to connect to my R9000 and use Port Aggregation. I am a bit confused though. Maybe someone can help.

My goal: 

1. Connect my switch to my router to use Port Aggregation on ports 7&8. Will this then replace the normal cable thT goes from the router to port 8 and act as the internet connection?

2. Freeze the IP address on the switch. Do I have to go through the process in the manual or can I just set it with the router?

3. Here is the hard part. I have two Drobo B810ns. The instructions are a bit vague so I'm not really sure I even have to setup Port Aggregation as the devices come with two Ethernet cable connections and the way the manual reads it looks as if I can set this on the device alone with a formal setup on the router and or switch.

4. Lastly, how can I go about linking both Drobos if the router only allows Ports 1&2 for link Aggregation?

Thanks

Herbert

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
cdominguez2007
Aspirant

Re: Confused about setting up Port Aggregation

I actually figured out what was going on with mine. Once I found and installed the beta firmware, the static lag option showed up. I changed that setting and then connected and everything seems to be running fine and port aggregation says that it's active.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
storm1985
Prodigy

1. Connect my switch to my router to use Port Aggregation on ports 7&8. Will this then replace the normal cable thT goes from the router to port 8 and act as the internet connection?

NO. the port aggregation is only applicable for LAN and there is a dedicated WAN port to receive internet connection from your modem. 

2. Freeze the IP address on the switch. Do I have to go through the process in the manual or can I just set it with the router?

if you mean set a static IP address on the switch, you have to do this on the switch. see manual page 14-15 

3. Here is the hard part. I have two Drobo B810ns. The instructions are a bit vague so I'm not really sure I even have to setup Port Aggregation as the devices come with two Ethernet cable connections and the way the manual reads it looks as if I can set this on the device alone with a formal setup on the router and or switch.

- there should be an adapter settings on your drobo where you can configure link aggregation IF it supports LACP. You may check the drobo manual for more info or call their support

here's an example on how to setup with other NAS brands:

Port Aggregation with Synology NAS on your Nighthawk router Port Aggregation with QNAP NAS on Nighthawk router How do I enable LACP on my ReadyNAS?

4. Lastly, how can I go about linking both Drobos if the router only allows Ports 1&2 for link Aggregation?

-the network diagram should be modem -> (WAN) R9000 LAG 1,2(LAN) -----LAG 7,8 S8000 ------ LAG other ports to Drobos

this means on your switch you have to create LAG Groups 1 for the router then another group/s for the Drobos

LAG.jpg

Message 2 of 10
socalspartan
Aspirant

How did you get this to work?  Can you tell me step by step?  I followed the procedure on the netgear website but it wont work.  I first disconnected the switch from the router.  Setup LAG on the switch at port 7 and 8.  Enabled link agregation on the r9000.  Connected the cables, 7 and 8 on the switch to 1 and 2 on the r9000, then everything  starts flashing and no internet on both the switch and the router.  What step am I missing?

Message 3 of 10
jak0lantash
Mentor

EDIT: sorry, didn't read properly 😄

Message 4 of 10
jak0lantash
Mentor

If the switch is blinking like mad, it means "loop detected". On traditional switches anyway, I don't know the S8000.

So that would mean the aggregate is not configured properly.

Is that what you followed: https://kb.netgear.com/000037841/How-do-I-set-up-link-aggregation-between-my-R9000-Nighthawk-X10-rou...

Message 5 of 10
socalspartan
Aspirant

Message 6 of 10
jak0lantash
Mentor

OK, then you're most likely going to need help from someone from NETGEAR, either here or via Support contact.

Message 7 of 10
cdominguez2007
Aspirant

I'm also trying to setup link aggregation and I can't get it to work. I followed every procedure in that article, until I get to step 5 to set up LAG on my X10 router. It said to click "Enable (Static LAG)" The only option I have on my screen is "Enable (LACP- IEEE 802.3ad)". Even when I enable that and connect the wires, the port aggregation never says active, but I no longer have the network loops that were shutting me down. I'm at a bit of a loss currently. 

Message 8 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Message 9 of 10
cdominguez2007
Aspirant

I actually figured out what was going on with mine. Once I found and installed the beta firmware, the static lag option showed up. I changed that setting and then connected and everything seems to be running fine and port aggregation says that it's active.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7