• 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Confusion on current beta fw version

So was running the 1.06 firmware that was pulled from the official site due to problems.

Finally after scouring this cluttered forum, found a link to some dropbox site that allowed me to get:

R7000-V1.0.6.40_1.1.90 BETA (presumably 1.06 reworked to fix the problem) -- modify date: march 20

Still no FINAL after months of it being pulled, googled and got this post from a moderator:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-FW-1-0-5-60/td-p/1070857

So a moderator is pushing the 1.05 beta now??

What's up with these naming schemes? Why not just call 1.05 and 1.06 a scrap and go right to 1.07..... Smiley Indifferent

No idea what to download anymore and whats latest, whats buggy, and whats not, cause even the moderator links to some DROPBOX site rather than official! :@

Message 1 of 19
Highlighted
Master

Re: Confusion on current beta fw version

Save yourself the headaches and load up the Xvortex firmware for the R7000. Ever since I left Netgears's stock, I'm having a great life.

Seriously, the only thing Netgear knows how to make is the hardware. Along with D-Link, Netgear has a terrible firmware. And don't get me started on how often they pull back FW due to issues. Their so called QA assurance has to be the worst one

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.79SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400
Message 2 of 19
Highlighted

I ran XVortex for awhile, but went back to stock. If you think Netgear is iffy on their CS, XVortex barely answers questions and disappears for weeks. He does not run a changelog on what he changes from Merlin's build and does not open source his code. Except for the added features, imho it ran no different than stock. If I ever decide to use 3rd party FW on the R7000, it will be a flavor of DD-WRT.

Message 3 of 19
Highlighted
Master

Xvortex DOES answer questions, I don't know where you get that he doesn't. Follow the thread. 

About open sourcing. I want something to work, not get political whether the code is open or closed. I had numerous issues with stock and Netgear has never corrected them, even after dealing with thier support. Xvortex works for me so that's why I use it.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400
Message 4 of 19
Highlighted

I read every post on his forums thread........all 30 pages.

Message 5 of 19
Highlighted
Guide

QOS doesnt work on XVortex firmware.  And if you can rig it to do something, it applies the UPLOAD cap to the DOWNLOAD on IPV6.  XVortex FW is useless to me because of that.

Message 6 of 19
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: R7000 Beta Firmware??

I also do not really understand why we should be using some third party software. I understand the post about it is given with the best intentions. But I have bought a router with software and I expect it to work. And I don't expect to run into minor or major bugs that were overlooked.

I tried third party software on my R7000 but it just gives you more headache than the factory software already does. And I am also not looking forward to that experience again.

Message 7 of 19
Highlighted
Master

Because Netgear is making a piss-poor job with their FW. If it works, use it. I'm not here to force anyone in using 3rd party FW. It didn't work for me, even after back and forth with Netgear's support, so that's why I moved to 3rd party FW. As I said, ever since then, I don't have to constantly fight my router. I set it up and it works for months and months without a glitch. The only time I reboot it is when I upgrade its FW.

Many people expect to buy a router that "just works". Unfortunately, reality is different. We have different needs and different setups, so the best FW people can do is QA as much as possible setups. Bugs will always exist and there's no software without bugs. A FW is no different and that's why you get updates

Message 8 of 19
Highlighted
Aspirant

What the **bleep**?

Kindly do not hijack my thread and market your third party stuff, I simply asked which OFFICIAL version to get as its unclear based on NetGear's naming convention.

Go spam and discuss the 3rd party firmwares in other forums/threads.

Back on topic:

What naming convetion are these guys using, which is the recent reliable firmware to get??

Message 9 of 19
Highlighted
Master

@negativefusion wrote:

What naming convetion are these guys using, which is the recent reliable firmware to get??

Naming conventions 'usually' are sequential. Major and minor releases. Major is '1' here it seems and the '.0.x.yyy', where 'x' is the minor and 'yyy' the updates to the beta. Usually when the minor is increased you'll find new features in it, like Arlo for instance.

However someone in NG woke up and figures out the 1.0.5 and above releases were causing major problems for many. So NG pulled all of 1.0.5 and above from distribution. The 'official' release was pushed back to R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.4.30 with a link on the list of subjects here.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that release is reliable and stable for everyone either. But it did work for me and many others.

Recently NG release a reworked 1.0.5 and put it out for Beta (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-FW-1-0-5-60/m-p/1070857#M30302). Again, it is Beta, not fully endorsed by NG and probably is still fixing problems and will be released 'soon'.

That beta seems to work well for me with a minor logging problem.

There is no such thing as a 'standard' use of a router, many different settings and devices cause different scenarios for use. As does the environment it is used in. What works for one might not for another. Only way to know is try it.

Also how the F/W is installed might come into play. Some can just overlay what was there before and it retains all settings and it works fine, others have problems. Safest seems to be to RESET the router losing all settings and then install the new F/W. Then after that installs, RESET again, and then MANUALLY add in your settings. Again, some need to do that, some don't, and for some, the f/w still doesn't work right.

Not willing to play with the router? Then find a f/w that works for you and do not upgrade. If nothing more review the release notes for new releases and see if there is a problem you have 'fixed' or a new feature added you require and upgrade accordingly.

Message 10 of 19
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am running Advanced Tomoto build 3.1-132 working great.

Message 11 of 19
Highlighted
Guide

Kindly try these beta firmwares 

ftp://download.netgear.com.cn:8084/R7000/

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwpgHd_U65gNYnpENUNkc1lNS1U&usp=sharing

So far R7000-V1.0.3.49_20140314_ReadyCLOUD and R7000-V1.0.5.60_1.1.86 works well for me Smiley LOL

Spoiler

Regards,

Vinz

Message 12 of 19
Highlighted
Luminary

@sutedy Thanks for the link to V1.0.6.28 but currently I am on V1.0.6.40_1.1.90 

It works for me on all aspects exept for QoS. I used  V1.0.6.28 also with minimal issues. But since it has been pulled I don't dare to use it anymore. Others might call me stupid.... hehehehehe

Message 13 of 19
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Message 14 of 19
Highlighted

I went to v1.0.5.60. a week ago. I had one laptop that would disconnect ocassionally on V1.0.6.40_1.1.90 but has been rock solid on v1.0.5.60...no reboots or issues of any kind. I use Arlo cameras, but just went back to using the base.

Message 15 of 19
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To answer the naming versions, firmware version 1.0.6.40 contained Arlo support.

We fallback to focus on the stability of the previous official firmware released (1.0.5.48) hence we have the latest beta version of 1.0.5.60.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 16 of 19
Highlighted
Luminary

Yes but other users are complaining about the QoS in that version.

Thank you anyway. When will you present us with a stable 1.0.5 version?

Message 17 of 19
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi thelemonkind,

The QoS issue has been reported already and engineers are working on it.

Message 18 of 19
Highlighted
Guide

V1.0.5.70_1.1.91 is best firmware for me now

LAN from PC to Netgear 7000
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5545359761

WIFI 5 GHz from Sony X (F5122)
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2104199893

Message 19 of 19