Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect R9000 and R8000 routers together

scottnoyes
Aspirant

Connect R9000 and R8000 routers together

I have a 2 router setup between my house and my barn.  I am replacing an old Netgear router in barn that has failed.  My old set up had Netgear in house > Linksys in barn connected to Internet port and on house side to a regular switch port.  House network is 192.168.1.x and barn 10.62.247.x.  I am running into an issue getting full functionality with the 2 netegear routers now.  I am wondering if the network port on barn R8000 doesnt like connecting to a plain LAN port on the back end (I.E. wants a cable modem or DSL modem type thing).  i am TRYING to avoid having to re-address EVERYHTING hanging off barn side.  I understand I could setup things up different and go House router switch port to Barn router normal switch port but then I wouldnt be able to keep my seperate addressing scheme for the 2 buildings and surrounding areas.  I have copied ALL settings correctly from the old Liksys and only thing I can come up with is the new Netgear BARN router doesnt like the Internet uplink to a normal switch port on another Netgear router...

What am I missing?  any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance  

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Connect R9000 and R8000 routers together

Not sure why you want a "separate" addressing scheme but it causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router. 

Why not put the 2nd router in access point mode and leave the primary controlling the network? 

Message 2 of 4
scottnoyes
Aspirant

The seperate addressing scheme has existed for years and worked fine until I am now trying to replace Barn router...  

Ive got home router (192.168.1.1) and barn router (Internet addy 192.168.1.120 connecting FROM Internet port on barn router to House switch port,, with barn local network setup as 10.62.247.x ).  Logically,, to me,, there is no reason that shouldnt continue to work UNLESS the new barn R8000 Internet port ONLY wants a DSL or Cable modem rather then a normal swtich port uplink.. if that makes sense..

Again, I am trying to avoiud having to re configure ALL of my barn area devices with the house IP range and KEEP what is in play now.  

I understand I CAN put new router in AP mode etc but AGAIN that means having to re config everything which I am trying madly to avoid.  

Thanks for any help here

Message 3 of 4
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @scottnoyes, what specific issue are you encountering with the R8000 being setup in router mode?

Dexter

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7