Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connect a remote network to Nighthawk R7000 via VPN

Computertech50
Aspirant

Connect a remote network to Nighthawk R7000 via VPN

I need to connect a remote network to a Nighthawk R7000 router. The remote network is for IP cameras so that the camera server behind the R7000 can pick up their feeds. With it being cameras I don't have any client that I can load software onto. I need a hardware box (access point, router, bridge, etc) that can connect to the R7000 OpenVPN server. Is there any hardware out there that can connect as a client to an OpenVPN server?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

I use Asuswrt-Merlin and I can confirm that OpenVPN client support is built in.  There are many different builds of DD-WRT, only some of which will include OpenVPN client support.  I believe Tomato has it built-in, but you should seek independent confirmation.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
storm1985
Prodigy

I suggest on your remote PC install the OpenVPN client software to connect to the R7000 OpenVPN server. Once connected, you can access your cameras as if you are on the same local network as the R7000.

Message 2 of 10
Computertech50
Aspirant

As I said above, what I am trying to connect to the primary network is IP cameras. There is no place to install client software. Its not a PC, its IP cameras. Installing software on them is not an option. I need a network hardware box in front of it to connect the remote net to the primary net connecting to the Nighthawk R7000.

Message 3 of 10
storm1985
Prodigy

please read again my comment and understand what I am trying to suggest. With what I suggest you dont have to purchase a new hardware on your other network. You just need the OpenVPN to work with your client devices. 

for ur point of getting another hardware it is not an option if you will be using the NETGEAR stock firmware. Not with OpenVPN you need IPSec or L2TP VPN. Try ddwrt firmware. 

Message 4 of 10
Computertech50
Aspirant

Im not understanding your suggestion then. The camera server, which records the camera feeds and is a dedicated proprietary piece of hardware, is on the primary network along with the majority of the cameras. The cameras at the remote location have to be seen across the network by the camera server via IP. I have to have a direct connection from one net to the other. There isn't a PC even at the remote loaction. What I'm hearing is you can't connect to the OpenVPN server on the R7000 with any standard hardware?

Message 5 of 10
TheEther
Guru

You can get a second R7000, install DD-WRT, Tomato or Asuswrt-Merlin, and use the built-in OpenVPN client to connect back to your main network.

Message 6 of 10
storm1985
Prodigy

Okay lets make it simple...

1. what devices are you using to access or view your IP cameras? 

2. is the camera server inside R7000?

R7000 OpenVPN is client-to-box VPN type.

client = end devices like PC and phones

box = R7000 

Message 7 of 10
Computertech50
Aspirant

Storm, the cameras connect to a dedicated, proprietary hardware box that came with the cameras. Its a high end camera system, not individual IP cameras that you connect to directly to view the feed. You view them by connecting a PC to this control box which is behind the R7000. The cameras have to connect directly to this box for recording and playback. You don't connect a PC directly to the cameras for playback, you connect to this box.

Ether, so those replacement firmwares all include an OpenVPN CLIENT built in?

Message 8 of 10
TheEther
Guru

I use Asuswrt-Merlin and I can confirm that OpenVPN client support is built in.  There are many different builds of DD-WRT, only some of which will include OpenVPN client support.  I believe Tomato has it built-in, but you should seek independent confirmation.

Message 9 of 10
Computertech50
Aspirant

Very good. I'll use Asuswrt-merlin on an Asus RT-N66U then. It's on the list of aproved routers for that firmware. Thanks for the info.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7