× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect more that 2 USB 3.0 Devices on AX8

dehinson64
Guide

Connect more that 2 USB 3.0 Devices on AX8

Hello,

I was wondering if I used a true USB 3.0 splitter, could the AX8 recognize and configure the additional device in ReadyShare? 

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
dehinson64
Guide

Re: Connect more that 2 USB 3.0 Devices on AX8

This one...

UGREEN USB 3.0 Hub, 4-Port USB Hub with 3ft Extension Cable, High-Speed Portable USB Splitter for MacBook Air, Mac Mini, iMac Pro, Surface Pro, XPS, PC, Flash Drive, Mobile HDD

dehinson64_0-1671043578199.png

I'd like the number of positive reviews and that Mobile HDD was supported. So, I thought this might work.... and it did.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I've seen users doing that and it working but I can't guarantee it as I personally haven't. Just make sure you use a powered hub as doubtful the usb power is enough for more than 1 device. 

Message 2 of 15

@dehinson64 wrote:

I was wondering if I used a true USB 3.0 splitter, could the AX8 recognize and configure the additional device in ReadyShare? 

It might depend on the USB devices you use.

I haven't tried a splitter, but I have a Seagate 8 TB Backup Plus Hub connected to an R7800. The Seagate has two USB ports that the router happily recognises. So I have 4 USB ports running off a single router.

Message 3 of 15
dehinson64
Guide

Hello,

So, I want to attach two WD Elements. Would this work without a powered splitter? I am only using to do backups and streaming. I figure that if the sharing of the 6GB, making 3GB per WD Element should not adversely affect streaming to one TV or doing a night backup of the C: Drive.

What do you think? 

Message 4 of 15
plemans
Guru

I can't say 100% because each device is different. some work fine over usb and some you can't get to register at all. Without having that specific router and those specific drives, we can't say 100%. 

so it might be something you have to try. 

Message 5 of 15
dehinson64
Guide

Just ordered from Amazon. Will update after I get it all hooked up.

Message 6 of 15

@plemans wrote:

I can't say 100% because each device is different. some work fine over usb and some you can't get to register at all. Without having that specific router and those specific drives, we can't say 100%. 

so it might be something you have to try. 

One way to get some idea of what a router can handle is to look here:

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It is hopelessly out of date and incomplete. For example, none of the stuff I have attached features there for the R7800.  But sniffing around a device and comparing it with similar kit is at least a clue.

AX8 is a wifi technology, not a model number. You never did say which of the various AX8 devices you use, so it is up to you to track down the model number and throw that into the maw.

Message 7 of 15
dehinson64
Guide

Well, it seems to work just fine. Readyshare was able to deal with both WD Elements enclosures with issue. Speed does not seem to be affected. However, I didn't do any tests to check. But as long as I can share my media, I am happy.

Thank you for all your input.

Message 8 of 15

Excellent. What USB things did you go for in the end?

Message 9 of 15
dehinson64
Guide

This one...

UGREEN USB 3.0 Hub, 4-Port USB Hub with 3ft Extension Cable, High-Speed Portable USB Splitter for MacBook Air, Mac Mini, iMac Pro, Surface Pro, XPS, PC, Flash Drive, Mobile HDD

dehinson64_0-1671043578199.png

I'd like the number of positive reviews and that Mobile HDD was supported. So, I thought this might work.... and it did.

Message 10 of 15
plemans
Guru

Looks good. The only thing I'd be careful of is that isn't a powered hub. And those routers don't put out a ton of power over usb. So if you're devices aren't powered, you might not have enough to run multiples. (just to be careful when plugging in more devices)

Message 11 of 15
dehinson64
Guide

Both of the WD Elements are powered enclosures. So, I believe I am in good shape. However, if need to power the USB HUB, it does have an option to do so...

dehinson64_0-1671129762203.png

Message 12 of 15

I just received a USB - SATA adapter that also has the option to plug in a 12 volt supply.

Nice to receive this sort of thing without yet another power brick. I already have stacks of the things.

Message 13 of 15
plemans
Guru

@dehinson64 wrote:

Both of the WD Elements are powered enclosures. So, I believe I am in good shape. However, if need to power the USB HUB, it does have an option to do so...

Nice! Rare to see that anymore with the option to add it. good buy 

Message 14 of 15
Razor512
Prodigy

I have tried using my ancient Anker 3-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Ethernet

It worked fine with my RAX50 and RAXE500 (mainly did it just to see how it would handle 3 USB flash drives, and it handles it just fine, though the router did not do anything with the Ethernet port that was built into the hub 😊.

I have not done any testing on the peak output of the router USB port, though they should be at least 5V 1 amp since they have no trouble running 2.5 inch based external hard drives that are powered by the USB port, while pulling 0.7 to 0.8 amps at 5V.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7