Connect to Router, No IP

Liebo
Aspirant

Connect to Router, No IP

I have noticed complaints about dropped connections, but I haven't been able to find circumstances to match mine. Here's what I'm facing.

I have a new R7000. I have updated the firmware to V1.0.3.24_1.1.20. For our network, I assigned 10 IP addresses to local machines on the network. Other than that, I don't recall any other changes to the router.

From time to time, a device connected by wireless will suddenly lose all connected functionality. What I mean is, it will show as connected to the router, but it cannot access the internet or any other location on the local network. On one computer, if I disable then re-enable the wireless adapter, it will resume normal functionality. On another computer, this does not work, nor does restarting.

Strangely, when a machine is connected but can't reach anything, if I look at the list of attached devices, it will show the MAC address of the device, but the MAC will not have an assigned IP address. These are machines that have an assigned IP address, but for some reason it is being dropped and not re-assigned.

I appreciate any help you can provide. I am new to the forum, so if I missed this problem in someone else's post, please provide a link to the fix. Thanks so much.
Message 1 of 7
poketix
Guide

Re: Connect to Router, No IP

In the endless list of the R7000 issues there is also one that can explain your problem. Static IP address allocation results in the situation when devices connected to the R7000 do not receive the IP assignment. It actually does not matter whether device uses DHCP or static address. So the change you done for the router's configuration (you are mentioning address allocations) is most probably the root cause of the problem.
In fact the real root cause is the miserable R7000 firmware that they are unable to fix for years. Try opening the support case but do not be optimistic - Netgear's support and R&D are useless. Sorry for those bad news.
Message 2 of 7
Liebo
Aspirant

poketix, thanks for the reply, though you're right, it's not what I want to hear. I will reach out to Netgear support and see if they are any help.

I am still interested in hearing from users if they have found a solution. However, given this information, am I better off using an alternative firmware, like DD-WRT?
Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I use address reservations for almost every device, It seems to work fine for me. I no longer have my r7000 but I still have other NG routers and always have used address reservations without any issues.
Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have 84 DHCP reservations in my router. They work just fine.

I have an issue with my wireless printer and wired devices not being able to see it but I've confirmed more than once that DHCP has nothing to do with it.
Message 5 of 7
Liebo
Aspirant

Well at least I know the problem isn't DHCP reservations. Trouble is, I don't have an answer, and I have one computer right now that is useless without any connection the net. I'm open to suggestions.
Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would un-install the client(s), weather Wired or Wireless and then reinstall.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E