Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connect to existing WiFi network with NO ethernet connection in apartment

slegere
Aspirant

Connect to existing WiFi network with NO ethernet connection in apartment

Live in retirement community with building wide WiFi.  NO ethernet connections in apartment.  How do I connect this router to the existing WiFi network?  Need to use router because need Hearing Impaired Caption Call telephone.  This phone can not connect to existing WiFi via current 3rd party Internet Page.  I was told I needed a router to connect to existing WiFi and then the phone can connect via the Netgear router. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi slegere,

The router does not have extender capabilities. You may need to purchase a wireless extender.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 14

All Replies
William10a
Master

Sounds like you may need a wireless bridge to receive the wifi of the building and convert to a wired lan for the r7000 you listed in posting .

From what I get is that you have wifi internet in your building and the phone you need to use can not use it without a router and the r7000 does not support wireless bridge under Netgear's firmware the way you need too.

A wireless bridge would allow the wifi of the building to used by the r7000 which you need to use your phone.

Do I follow your needs so far?

Message 2 of 14
slegere
Aspirant

Yes. If the R7000 can not be used as a bridge, what should I use? The phone doesn't need a specific router, it only needs to be able to connect to the Internet.
Message 3 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi slegere,

Does your phone has ethernet port? You can configure the router to wireless bridge. Check the link below.

https://kb.netgear.com/24105/What-is-bridge-mode-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 4 of 14
slegere
Aspirant

No Ethernet port on phone. Name of Phone is Caption Call.
Message 5 of 14
William10a
Master

If this the phone they say it has lan port http://captioncall.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/CaptionCall_Setup-Guide_v1.2.pdf

I hope that this the phone you have.

Message 6 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi slegere,

The router does not have extender capabilities. You may need to purchase a wireless extender.

Message 7 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi slegere,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 8 of 14
slegere
Aspirant

Thanks for info. Hopefully the Netgear will work
Message 9 of 14
slegere
Aspirant

The phone does have ethernet port. How would I fine the building's speed (2.4 or 5.0)? Im not very network knowledgeable. Can I get other information on existing router using ipconfig?

Message 10 of 14
William10a
Master

@slegere wrote:

The phone does have ethernet port. How would I fine the building's speed (2.4 or 5.0)? Im not very network knowledgeable. Can I get other information on existing router using ipconfig?

If the phone has a ethernet port could be a 10/100mb or a 1gb connection that is able to handle via a wired line cable to a wireless repeater may be able to adapt the lan cable of the phone into a wifi signal for you.

Message 11 of 14
slegere
Aspirant

William you showed that the CaptionCall Phone does have a LAN port. Im not a network configuration person.  If the apartment does not have a LAN connection on a wall, but only WIFI configured for the building, so no modem, how would I connect this router to the WIFI network in the building.  All manuals I've looked at show connecting the router to the modem.  Well no modem.  The building is WIFI throughout.  And the maintenance person has no clue.

Do I connect a laptop/desktop to the WIFI network and then the router to the laptop/desktop to cofigure it as a bridge?  Then would I leave the router connected to the laptop/desktop or can I disconnect it and then have the phone connect to the router and still get the Internet access I need on the phone?

If this is not the place to answer these questions, please direct me to the correct place.

Message 12 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi slegere,

If you only have WiFi as the main connection of your network, you can setup the router as bridge mode. But bridge will only provide wired connection and does not have wireless capabilities.

Message 13 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi slegere,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7