Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connected, no internet

racerfern
Tutor

Connected, no internet

I just bought a Netgear R7800 and updated to the latest firmware v1.0.2.28. I have optimum cable service and a wifi issue with android devices. I also have a win10 tablet that initially says "connected, no internet" but then it works fine after a few seconds. However, the android tablet and smartphones barely connect no matter what I try. My two PCs that are hardwired work perfectly.

It happens on both 2.4 and 5g. I read quite a few forum messages concerning this, but really can't find a definitive answer nor can I find an official response from Netgear.

FWIW, the android devices will eventually connect but the data comes through in spurts, then stops. This is very obvious on a twitter feed when clicking a link for example. It can take more than 20 seconds to load a simple page, then the next few pages will load quickly. On my wife's device, it seems her FB page is always days behind based whereas on the home PC that is hardwired everything is up to date.

Solutions welcomed.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

I meant the modem.. Two parts - modem and router.. When you add a new router to a network, you start by turning off the modem to flush the old MAC address of the older router out of the MAC table. Once it has been off for about 5-10 minutes, power up modem (wait for the modem to come back online), then, power up router (properly cabled up to modem) then configure router when it is online. If your ISP does not release the MAC address of you old router, you can reconfigure your new router with the old router's MAC address, or a laptop MAC address, if you were successful connecting to the Internet after removing your old router. Clear as mud?

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @racerfern

Factory reset the unit and then reconfigure the router settings as if it's brand new out of the box. 

When you configure the wireless settings, I suggest that you change the SSID and channel. 

Selecting wireless channels

Message 2 of 10
racerfern
Tutor

Thanks, I've been fooling around and did something close to that. It seems selecting a different channel is the key. What does DFS mean on the 5G channels?

Also, are there channels that are so common that they should be avoided?

Message 3 of 10
netwrks
Master

DFS: https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Radio_Settings/Dynamic_Frequency_Selection_(DFS)

Not ideal if you leave close to an airport / radar. Hopefully with the DFS channels being availble, DFS is properly suppoertd on the router.

Message 4 of 10
racerfern
Tutor

I did the factory reset, set a new SSID and still no progress. The android phones and tablet still said Connected, no internet. However...

Two days ago out of the clear blue something got scrambled and by itself the router shuffled all the ip addresses around. There was no power outage or spike as I was home and everything was normal. However two items that had reserved ip addresses were now elsewhere. One of the two https://shop.homeseer.com/products/homeseer-z-net-remote-z-wave-plus-interface?variant=23367891910 a zwave automation unit is a challenge because when I set it to .3 it goes to .2, when I set it in the router to .2 it goes to .3! Even after re-booting everything the same issue continues.

But at this same time the Connected, no internet message disappeared from the phones for two days.

Now what?

Message 5 of 10
racerfern
Tutor

Well it seems I just found part of the problem. The mac address table (or whatever it's called) in the router was showing the name of one device tied to the mac address of another device. I was able to shut down one device, correct the one that was wrong and now it appears normal.

Is there a way to avoid scrambled tables or whatever the issue may be?

Message 6 of 10
netwrks
Master

Depends on the ISP.. (I am assuming you are talking about your modem). Turning the modem off for 5 or 10 minutes, usually flushes the MAC table entry. Some ISP's don't play nice and don't flush the MAC table entry wehn the modem is powered off / on , which forces people to clone the MAC address of your old router, or a laptop. If you are talking about the R7000, then it sounds like it was bought used, and should have been reset to factory default, before putting it on your network..

Message 7 of 10
racerfern
Tutor

It's the R7800 and was bought brand new. Even after factory reset, this issue appeared. Not sure if it was a hiccup or a known bug.

@netwrks you said turning the modem off, did you mean the router? Does the modem know or care that the router is on/off or even if one is connected?

Message 8 of 10
netwrks
Master

I meant the modem.. Two parts - modem and router.. When you add a new router to a network, you start by turning off the modem to flush the old MAC address of the older router out of the MAC table. Once it has been off for about 5-10 minutes, power up modem (wait for the modem to come back online), then, power up router (properly cabled up to modem) then configure router when it is online. If your ISP does not release the MAC address of you old router, you can reconfigure your new router with the old router's MAC address, or a laptop MAC address, if you were successful connecting to the Internet after removing your old router. Clear as mud?

Message 9 of 10
racerfern
Tutor

Absolutely clear. I didn't realize the modem had to do with the mac address assignments. I assumed (I know wwhat happens when you assume) it all happened in the router. For now things appear to be working well, but if it should rear its ugly head yet again, I will follow your instructions.

BTW, could that be part of the original problem of "Connected, no internet" even though it's not a mac issue, could it be something wonky between the modem and router? Or for that matter between the modem and the ISP??

Thanks for clearing up some of my misunderstandings.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7