Re: Connecting R9000 to a cable modem

phuile
Aspirant

Connecting R9000 to a cable modem

If I am connecting an R9000 to a cable modem that already has a firewall. Can you connect the R9000 Ethernet RJ45 WAN Port to a LAN port on the modem so that you would effectively get the benefits of 2 firewalls, the one on the cable modem and the other on the R9000? If this can’t be done how should I protect the LAN segment attached to the R9000 separately to the LAN segment connected to the cable modem?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Two firewalls could be as much hassle as benefit. Two things to get in the way of legitimate traffic.

If the idea is to use the R9000 alongside the modem you have a couple of options.

• Set the modem to be modem only and disable its router features.
  • Turn the R9000 into a wireless access point.

There is a manual for the R9000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R9000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See page 61.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 6
phuile
Aspirant

I would still like to have the benefit of 2 firewalls, and I’d like to know how I can do it if I want to.

I did read through the manual and that’s why I am hoping that someone will help me figure out how I can do it with the R9000 connecting to a cable modem.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 6

@phuile wrote:

I would still like to have the benefit of 2 firewalls

Any reason why?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 6
phuile
Aspirant

Added security. I would just like to know if I use the R9000 and a cable modem, how this can be done if it can be done.

if this cannot be done with a R9000, I’d like to know so I can move on and consider another model or brand.

Message 5 of 6
Tazman
Tutor

This can be done, but based on your questioning.  I would not recommend you doing this, as your understanding of networks appears to be limited.  

Be that as it may...you would just connect one of the available network ports on the cable modem to the Internet or yellow port on the R9000.  As long as the cable modem has a DHCP server and the IP range it is giving out is different than the R9000.  You should be good to go.

Good luck...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements