Highlighted
Aspirant

Connecting Samsung TV to wireless network, using WPS

My Samsung UHD "smart" TV has lost its connection to my wireless network (the router is a Netgear R4500). When I try to re-setup the connection, it tells me to push the WPS button on my router. After pushign the button (it starts blinking), a message on my TV gives me a code to enter in my router settings. However, when I login to the router with its IP address, there is no place to enter a code. How do it fix this and get the TV reconnected?

Model: R4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Master

Re: Connecting Samsung TV to wireless network, using WPS

I have a Samsung "smart" tv. I since 2006 have never used WPS. Delete or what ever the process is to remove the wireless connection. Then let the TV scan. When you see your network select it and give the pass phrase and should connect and work. 

Might want to read this about how insecure WPS is on your network. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/176124/wi-fi-protected-setup-wps-is-insecure-heres-why-you-should-disable-...

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a way to turn off the WPS without getting a warning that the network would now be Open. The router referenced in my original post was r4500, which was incorrect. It is an R6400 Nighthawk router. On my TV I can enter the name of the network (which seems odd, since any other devices that can connect to the network, show me a list of available networks). I enter the network name and then the password (the router's default, which has never been changed). The connection still fails.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Master

There has to be a way to tell the TV to forget the connection it had. I do not remember how that goes on the Samsung. Worst case look in manual you can get on line and how in there. The TV will then scan for wireless as I recall. Been a while since I have had to play with the TV since getting rid of Netgear router.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted

Smart TVs, especially Samsungs, are remarkably dumb.

I can't recall anyone reporting much success with WPS. It is usually a case of working from the TV's control pages.

I gave up on wifi and went for Powerline Ethernet.

Much easier to set up, faster than wifi and more reliable, with few, if any, lost connections.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Master

Just looked at my Samsung "smart" TV. There is a refresh selection on mine for situations like this where you may need to redo the wireless.I see a number of wireless near me. Maybe it is time to disconnect TV from power and let it reload its brain? Mine takes a while to get going when disconnected. @michaelkenward  has a good solution for lots of cases. EoP is a solution I have used and works well in my house which has 50 year old wiring. No need to run cable. Also agree with the WPS not being a very good solution for wireless connections. 

In my case the TV is less then 10 feet from the AP so no signal issues. Just works with wireless. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements