• 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Connecting to a new router

Hello!

We changed to a new internet provider last week, and I need to connect the Netgear router to the new router that came with the internet service provider. When I plug in the ethernet cable from the router from the ISP (which works fine, we get internet from it), and plug it into the Nighthawk router, nothing happens...anyone have any good tips on how to solve?

Thanks very much for help!

Best wishes,

Knut Olav Klokk

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
Highlighted

Re: Connecting to a new router

@knutklokk wrote:

....I need to connect the Netgear router to the new router that came with the internet service provider.

What is the ISP's router? If it is a router/modem, then you may have to put it into "modem only" (bridge) mode. That will prevent any conflicts between it and the R8000.

If you can't change the ISP's device you might have to put the R8000 into access point mode.

There is a manual for the R8000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>>> R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

See page 138.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for your reply!! I went to the manual page, and am about to enter my username and password....but I have forgotten the password..!! Is there a way to recover? Or should I reset the router?

Thank you very much!

Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Guru

Thre is a PW recovery process to try in the web page. If that fails, Reset. 

If the modem has a built in router, you can use the DMZ on the modem for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem if you want to use the NG router in router mode. An option. 

@knutklokkwrote:

Thanks a lot for your reply!! I went to the manual page, and am about to enter my username and password....but I have forgotten the password..!! Is there a way to recover? Or should I reset the router?

Thank you very much!

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello, and thanks for the help. No password recovery available. Reset (pressed the button for 10 sec) twice, but still not able to login when trying to login to the router address for my Wifi network - using the 'admin' and 'password' as logins. 

Seems like the reset hasn't work...any tips?

Thanks!!

Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Guru

Try holding for 15 seconds then let go. 

I would have a ethernet wired PC connected to the router after the reset button is performed. 

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would have a ethernet wired PC connected to the router after the reset button is performed. 

Sound advice. It eliminates other possible sources of angst.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks a ton, guys! I finally managed to get a hold of a PC with an Ethernet port (my Mac doesn't have one). However, it still doesn't allow me to login at routerlogin.net/reset my password/username on the router. I have the following setup:

1) The router from my ISP is plugged with a cable to the wall to the incoming connection to my apartment

2) No ethernet cable from this router other than to the TV

3) Ethernet cable from the Netgear router to the PC

4) I then hold the reset button for at least 15 seconds (have tried a few times)

5) I try to log in to routerlogin.net (I have also tried the router address on my Mac, 192.168......), but still get that the default admin/password is incorrect. Doesn't work when I try the routerlogin.net/192.... on either the Mac or the PC.

Is this the correct setup? I have also tried turning the Netgear router on and off a few times.

Thanks a lot!

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Master

Confused? Which router do you have? Message #1 shows R8000 and now R6700V2?

@knutklokkwrote:

1) The router from my ISP is plugged with a cable to the wall to the incoming connection to my apartment

2) No ethernet cable from this router other than to the TV

3) Ethernet cable from the Netgear router to the PC

Is this correct? No cable from the ISP's Router/Modem combo?

If so, you have NO internet at all?

Is the PC a Windows PC? If so, open a CMD prompt and enter IPCONFIG /ALL. What is the DEFAULT GATEWAY for the Ethernet?

Message 9 of 9