Connection Issues

madhatter01
Tutor

Connection Issues

I have a Dell Venue pro 11. I upgraded the card in a while back to an Intel 802.11ac. When ever it goes to sleep it will not re connect right. It says full bars but no web sites show. I have to reboot every time to fix it, disabling/re enabling wifi only works sometimes. Even rebooting does not always fix it. I had been using the r7000 and did not have this issue. It also does this with Android phones after they have sat unused for a while. Only things on 5.0ghz seems effected. Also when it is in this weird state you can not connect to the router gui via ip. Other devices will be working fine at the same time. The windows machine seem to be the worse.
Message 1 of 28
Govnah
Aspirant

Re: Connection Issues

I am having the same issues as well, Lenovo X1 Carbon 2014 WIFI will become limited and no internet access. The only fix is to either reboot the laptop or R8000. As you mentioned I have a R7000 that does not exhibit this issue.

On another note the power button flashes both white and amber and I was told by Netgear that my firmware is corrupt. Also I run the R8000 in AP mode if that makes a difference. I will be returning the R8000 to Amazon for a replacement.
Message 2 of 28
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Have you disable the power management of the wifi adapter on pc's network properties ?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 28
GarthMan4
Aspirant

Hi,

Same exact problem here. At some point wireless just stops working. It shows full bars but I can't browse the internet, access anything on the network or even ping the router itself. Rebooting the client doesn't help - I have to power toggle the wifi directly on the R8000.

I've had this problem daily (3 times in as many days). I initially thought it had to do with the Smart Connect function but it happened today even after I disabled smart connect. Perhaps a memory leak in the R8000?

I have a few clients running the Intel wireless 7260AC but I just had it happen to a number of other devices including my Honeywell thermostat so the problem seems pretty broad.

I don't want to reboot everyday so if it happens again tomorrow the WRT1900AC is going back in and I'll wait a few firmware revisions. Sigh.

-GMan
Message 4 of 28
tvBilly
Aspirant

govnah wrote:
On another note the power button flashes both white and amber and I was told by Netgear that my firmware is corrupt. Also I run the R8000 in AP mode if that makes a difference. I will be returning the R8000 to Amazon for a replacement.

Mine does the same thing, but I was told the reason is that I'm (and you're) running in Access Point mode (not full router mode). And mine happens to be working really really well (so I'm keeping it). The flashing power light = "firmware is corrupt" is for the R7000...
Message 5 of 28
cc999
Aspirant

I have none of those issues. When I got the router I downloaded the firmware from Netgear site and flashed wired manually. Then I factory reset. Then set up.

Working perfectly. For the laptops losing connection go into the wireless cards setting and DISABLE the power save feature.

CC
Message 6 of 28
Govnah
Aspirant

tvBilly,

I was told my NTGR support that the power blinking white/amber indicated corrupt firmware but I had no confidence in her as she didn't really have a handle on anything technical, was kind of sad really. She probably just read that from a script and moved on.

I will disable the power save feature and see what happens.

Thanks
Message 7 of 28
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If you read manual in LED status tells you that is firmware corruption. When that happen usually you have more issues such as router is not fully booting up

If router still works reflash img firmware might be suggested or hard reset the router
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 28
Govnah
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback and I have reapplied the firmware but still have issues. I have already ordered another from Amazon and the other is on it's way back to Amazon.
Message 9 of 28
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Did you hard reset the router after flashing firmware and manually configure?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 28
madhatter01
Tutor

I got an email from Netgear. They are aware of the issue and will be fixing it in the next firmware update soon.
Message 11 of 28
Redtulips7
Apprentice

I believe wireless disconnection issue is a firmware related not Network Card power management problem!!probably new firware will fix the issue.......Smiley Very Happy
Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 12 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If this is regarding flashing power led while using AP Mode it's normal! I am a Tester of this and it is NORMAL for the R8000, if the manual says different shit can it it's wrong! Revert it back to Router mode if it's flashing yes it's a problem. But not while in AP MODE.
Message 13 of 28
Govnah
Aspirant

Thanks, just a damn shame that NTGR's own support resources are telling customers that the device is defective and send it back for a replacement/refund. Also I emphasized that the device was in AP mode not router mode.
Message 14 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Many! Good Companies have been ruined by over zealous marketing as_es who set unrealistic deadline's and everyone is afraid to speak up for fear of loosing their job.

Tech support is a major disappointment and the VP or Director of support should be replaced or start sleeping in a Holiday Inn.
Message 15 of 28
infosec_master
Aspirant

Hello. I'm running into the same issue with the R8000 being used as an AP. When it's in AP mode, it appears that the unit stops transmitting on the 5G channels every few minutes. The 2G seems to be a bit more stable. I also notice (like others) that when the router is in AP mode, the power light alternates between white and amber. However, when the unit is in traditional router mode, the power light turns solid white.

Also, I don't seem to have any issues with connection stability when I tested for a few hours in traditional router mode.

Final note...I upgrade to .74 and hard restarted the unit. Again, works fine in router mode, but not AP mode, the power light alternates white/amber whether on .68 or .74, but works fine as router on .68 and .74.

Perplexing.
Message 16 of 28
Govnah
Aspirant

Another issue is that I have an AT&T Microcell which is a network device plugged into the switch port on the R8000 and can't access the internet, works fine with the R7000. I have tried multiple ports with same result and the R8000 is in AP mode.

Maybe I should try router mode and see if the switch ports work...?
Message 17 of 28
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Ap mode should not effect the microcell. In that case issue with main router you are using is an issue.

If you have r8000 in router mode , make sure. UPNP is enabled and WAN has public ip
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 18 of 28
Govnah
Aspirant

All necessary ports and services are open on my firewall and works fine with the R7000 in AP mode, not the R8000 in AP mode.

I know better not buy new technology but I am sucker sometimes. I just hate to spend the time troubleshooting this issue but tomorrow I will enable some logging on the layer-3 device and see what is going on....
Message 19 of 28
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

It might be just firmware issues.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 20 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

infosec_master wrote:

Final note...I upgrade to .74 and hard restarted the unit. Again, works fine in router mode, but not AP mode, the power light alternates white/amber whether on .68 or .74, but works fine as router on .68 and .74.

Perplexing.
the power light flashing is normal in AP Mode

Their are several other reports of this which I answered too, supposedly NG updated the manual recently.
Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I use a ATT MC as well. Just reserve the IP address and put that IP address into the main host routers DMZ. This will allow all data flow that the MC needs. It works well for VoIP devices like MCs. Smiley Wink

govnah wrote:
Another issue is that I have an AT&T Microcell which is a network device plugged into the switch port on the R8000 and can't access the internet, works fine with the R7000. I have tried multiple ports with same result and the R8000 is in AP mode.

Maybe I should try router mode and see if the switch ports work...?
My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)> RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 22 of 28
tvBilly
Aspirant

madhatter01 wrote:
... it will not re connect right. It says full bars but no web sites show. I have to reboot every time to fix it, disabling/re enabling wifi only works sometimes. Even rebooting does not always fix it. I had been using the r7000 and did not have this issue. It also does this with Android phones after they have sat unused for a while. Only things on 5.0ghz seems effected. Also when it is in this weird state you can not connect to the router gui via ip. Other devices will be working fine at the same time. The windows machine seem to be the worse.

govnah wrote:
I am having the same issues as well... The only fix is to either reboot the laptop or R8000. As you mentioned I have a R7000 that does not exhibit this issue.

GarthMan4 wrote:
Hi,

Same exact problem here. At some point wireless just stops working. It shows full bars but I can't browse the internet, access anything on the network or even ping the router itself. Rebooting the client doesn't help - I have to power toggle the wifi directly on the R8000.

I've had this problem daily (3 times in as many days). I initially thought it had to do with the Smart Connect function but it happened today even after I disabled smart connect. Perhaps a memory leak in the R8000?... Sigh.

-GMan

I'm having the same problem now as well; it's happened every day for the past three days. The trouble seems to be in the routing section of the R8000, not the WiFi portion. All of my clients indicate proper WiFi connection, but there is zero routing going on; I can't even ping the R8000 from a client when it happens. Same thing, maybe more frequently, with the new firmware (which is out of beta now, btw, and shows up on the NG website as well as in the R8000 UI). When one client can no longer be routed, other clients may work just fine. Sometimes it's only one client that that stops working, sometimes it's more than one.

I am running the R8000 in ACCESS POINT mode, not full router mode. Is running in access point mode maybe at the root of this problem for all of us? I initially had access control turned on, but turning it off doesn't solve the problem. I have the two 5GHz radios bonded (Smart Connect), but turning bonding off also doesn't solve the problem, and it happens on the 2.4GHz band as well (where there's no bonding).

I have a half dozen wireless clients connected at any time, NONE of which are "802.11ac". Two are on the 2.4GHz band, the rest on the bonded 5GHz band. Four of them are Android devices.

Suffice it to say, this really sucks, and I really hope NG can at least duplicate the problem (and fix it!). This is my first NG router, and while I love the WiFi part, if the routing problem can't be fixed in the next week or two, I'm going to have to return the R8000. Smiley Sad
Message 23 of 28
Govnah
Aspirant

I think you nailed it, I have connectivity w/ full bars but I can't ping any device, access any internal network resources, or the internet.
Message 24 of 28
GarthMan4
Aspirant

tvBilly wrote:
I am running the R8000 in ACCESS POINT mode, not full router mode. Is running in access point mode maybe at the root of this problem for all of us? I initially had access control turned on, but turning it off doesn't solve the problem. I have the two 5GHz radios bonded (Smart Connect), but turning bonding off also doesn't solve the problem, and it happens on the 2.4GHz band as well (where there's no bonding).
Smiley Sad

TvBilly,

I'm running the router in it's normal mode. Good observation about routing - didn't consider that given the wifi network is still "connected" when it's stops passing traffic on the affected clients. BTW, I am running a mix of AC, N and G clients - the problem impacts all randomly - doesn't seem to be picky.

What firmware are you running? My R8000 is currently taking a break (prior one online as the family has demanded stability) so curious if .90 is helping the matter.
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E