Re: Connection Problems with R8000

quantnerd
Aspirant

Connection Problems with R8000

I have an R8000 running firmware version 1.0.0.102_1.0.45. The problem I'm having is that, seemingly randomly, the R8000 will stop accepting new connections. Existing connections, both wired and wireless, are maintained. The problem seems to be with the DHCP server. I have the R8000 set to an address of 192.168.0.1, and the DHCP server is distributing in the range of 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.200. The remaining addresses are static addresses on the LAN. This is a stable setup that has worked well for years through several generations of routers (most recently the R7000). When a new device tries to connect and fails, the IP address is something like 169.254.123.29. I can still login to the router; the DHCP settings haven't changed. The fix is to power cycle the R8000. It will work until the next time.

I don't know if there is a connection or if it's just chance, but this problem developed after adding a network extender into the mix. I have a Netgear EX6200 extending the 2GHz and 5GHz ranges. I do nothing to the EX6200 to get the network to accept new connections. Just power cycle the R8000.

I'm almost ready to put the R7000 back into service.

Ideas, anyone?
Message 1 of 34
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Just to verify, you are having problems connecting new devices to the R8000 or EX6200? If ever its connecting to the EX6200, have you tried rebooting just the EX6200 instead of the R8000. This is to isolate if the problem is with R8000 or EX6200.
Message 2 of 34
quantnerd
Aspirant

The problem is with the R8000. I can't connect to the EX6200 either, but that's no surprise. The connections directly to the R8000 don't work until power is cycled.
Message 3 of 34
quantnerd
Aspirant

The problem just became even more interesting. At the suggestion of tech support, I did a hardware reset of the R8000 and reconfigured it from scratch. After about a day of normal operation, I became unable to connect on 5GHz. Windows Network Troubleshooter complains that the IP configuration is invalid. However, connecting on 2GHx is OK with a valid IP config given by the DHCP server. I can also connect on 2GHz extended, but not on 5GHZ extended. Wired Ethernet connections continue to work normally and ipconfig release and renew works correctly. Attempting ipconfig /renew on 5GHz fails.
Message 4 of 34
Fairytail
Virtuoso

There is a beta firmware for R8000. There is a thread where you can download the firmware. Try it and provide your feedback.

R8000 Beta FW V1.0.1.8
http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=EpBmoJDid7

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=92801
Message 5 of 34
mach5k
Aspirant

I have been struggling with somewhat similar issues. Tried the beta, in fact it is still running. No real change. I am very close to returning the product and going in a different direction. Been very frustrating.
Message 6 of 34
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Please create a ticket to inform support team.

Message 7 of 34
israel125
Aspirant

Here's my 'ticket' (problem) item submitted... comments welcome.

"iOS devices drop out and cannot connect. The device says it's on the network (has the wifi symbol in top-left corner) but there is no internet, and in Settings > Wifi > 'Choose a Network' it is just spinning, never a tick. I followed all the leads on your forums eg. Installing the latest beta firmware version (FW V1.0.1.8), but my devices continue to drop. I am about to return this router if I cannot get a resolution soon. Specifically the iOS device with the most trouble is the iPad 2 with its original Operating System. And before you tell me to update it, firstly your routers should be able to connect to ANYTHING and sustain a connection, and secondly - it is a work iPad and it cannot be updated! PLEASE HELP!!! Furthermore - can you please tell me why we, as customers are being directed to update to a FW BETA version? This is completely ridiculous! Seriously unprofessional!"
Message 8 of 34
Fairytail
Virtuoso

These beta firmwares are given to users for possible fix.They call it beta since it is not yet available in support site and only given to users with a certain concern or issues.
Message 9 of 34
dbreiny
Aspirant

I have a new R8000 and EX6200 as well and every day, every single day, I have to reset the R8000 because the EX6200 will not route traffic. I am so tired of beta testing software for companies the prematurely release a product. I still have about 10 days to return and I think I am likely going to return the products. I really wanted to like it, but I cannot with the issues. Also, cannot forward 2 external ports to one internal port (like is available from all other routers).
Message 10 of 34
dbreiny
Aspirant

I can confirm that FW 1.0.1.8_1.0.51 has not fixed my issue. I have an EX6200 paired with an R8000 and when connected it works so-so. However, once a day (seemingly everyday) I have to reset the R8000 to re-establish connectivity between the EX6200 and the R8000. Re-booting the EX6200 has not effect on the problem, the R8000 has to be restarted, then the problem is resolved, until the next day and we do it all over again. I am losing faith in Netgear's ability to solve this issue and I am not impressed with "support". I have been waiting more than a week for a phone call from support (that I was promised)...
Message 11 of 34
big_j_ny
Aspirant

I think I have had similar problems that you are having, and I just bought this router yesterday.

One quick fix that I notice is that all of these connection problems go away the moment I disabled IPv6. I haven't downloaded that beta firmware yet to see if it'll fix this issue without disabling IPv6, but so far it seems disabling IPv6 in the R8000 seems to be the best bet for fixing connection issues such as the ones you're describing.

I noticed that I started running into the same connection issues as yourself the moment I activated the IPv6 settings into my R8000 router, then it immediately went away the moment I disabled them.
Message 12 of 34
dbreiny
Aspirant

Thanks for the heads-up, but it seems IPv6 is already disabled. Advanced Setup --> IPv6 --> Internet Connection Type is "Disabled". Is this what you mean?
Message 13 of 34
young8001
Aspirant

quantnerd,

I have the same issue. Most of my devices I have to assign static IPs.
I have the router LAN set to DHCP though the clients seem to pick up my ISP IP of 10.0.0.1....Tried factory reset etc. About ready to send the router back.
Message 14 of 34
big_j_ny
Aspirant

dbreiny wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up, but it seems IPv6 is already disabled. Advanced Setup --> IPv6 --> Internet Connection Type is "Disabled". Is this what you mean?

I see, and I think that is the default setting of this router when you first installed it.

So I guess we can rule out IPv6 being the problem, then
Message 15 of 34
anonymouse
Aspirant

i don't know if anyone else has this problem but i had the odd dhcp not giving out ip's problem (or so that seemed to be the problem). so i updated to V1.0.1.12_1.0.69 and that didn't make things better. perhaps worse? anyway, one time i noticed that my mbpro "lost connection" in that i was still connected to the r8000 but no packets would go anywhere. i manually changed the ip and still nothing. I then checked the wifi settings in system report or whatever it's called. It appeared that i had mysteriously switched from 5ghz to 2.4ghz. 802.11N. I like to keep the same ssid for everything as it's more convenient. however, i changed ssid names for the 5ghz and thus far everything has been stable 6hours. i hope it stays that way.

sorry for the noise if this is completely different.
Message 16 of 34
vleck
Novice

I have exactly the same problem as below. R8000 extended with an EX6200. I think this started happening a week after I connected the EX6200. Now, every other day, I need to reboot the R8000 to get NEW 5Ghz connections to work (directly on the R8000 -- also, existing 5Ghz connections continue to work). It doesn't seem to be able to assign an IP address. 2.4Ghz works fine. Anyone found a resolution yet?

quantnerd wrote:
The problem just became even more interesting. At the suggestion of tech support, I did a hardware reset of the R8000 and reconfigured it from scratch. After about a day of normal operation, I became unable to connect on 5GHz. Windows Network Troubleshooter complains that the IP configuration is invalid. However, connecting on 2GHx is OK with a valid IP config given by the DHCP server. I can also connect on 2GHz extended, but not on 5GHZ extended. Wired Ethernet connections continue to work normally and ipconfig release and renew works correctly. Attempting ipconfig /renew on 5GHz fails.
Message 17 of 34
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Please create a ticket for any concerns with R8000. NETGEAR team can assist you better.

Message 18 of 34
tokrah
Novice

I have to admit , i went thru the process of registering on the support just to say , that i have the same problem with the extender and it refuses connection with everything . i have to shut down the router and turn it on , it will work a couple of hours and then same story...

i dont recommend this router , its the worst of the worst , its not worth it and am going to return it. and buy the Asus one i should of listened to the staple guy and got the asus one instead
Message 19 of 34
TANWare
Star

Is it possible the smart connect, on the 5GHz, is causing the issue? If so it may be the actual EX6200 having the issue, not the R8000.
Message 20 of 34
e9d1n4
Novice

I have the same hardware configuration and similar problems.

I emailed Netgear support asking for the latest firmware ('84 beta) to see if that would solve the problem. We spent three days going back and forth for serial numbers apparently so that they could confirm that I am out of the 90-day "software warranty" then they permanently the thread without responding to my question ... so I'm asking again here.

I think the problem might be from the combination of the R8000 and the EX6200 (yes - around $400) but I can't confirm because I bought them both in December. I see the problem more frequently when there are more devices on the network. Of course - that is the very time when the R8000 is supposed to provide some value over the less expensive R7000.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460394,00.asp

I will call "hardware support" today and hopefully they will tell me something more than power cycling and hardware resets as everyone in this thread has probably already done that a couple dozen times.
Message 21 of 34
bshipp
Novice

I am having exactly the same issue running current firmware release V1.0.1.16_1.0.74. I'm on my third chat with tech support. I've tried changing channels (forcing a manual channel selection), to no avail. Has anyone tried forcing the 2.4ghz channel to 54mb/s?
Message 22 of 34
inertialdrift
Aspirant

I am having trouble maintaining any stable connections on the 2.4 or 5g. Chatting with the tech support I changed my 2.4 channel to 11 instead auto and I was able to get 60-85MBPS down even though my speed is 200 mbps. Try manual changing the channel.
Message 23 of 34
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Please create a ticket for support team.

Message 24 of 34
bshipp
Novice

inertialdrift wrote:
I am having trouble maintaining any stable connections on the 2.4 or 5g. Chatting with the tech support I changed my 2.4 channel to 11 instead auto and I was able to get 60-85MBPS down even though my speed is 200 mbps. Try manual changing the channel.

That was the recommendation I got on my first go-around with Tech Support. I've tried all of the 2ghz channels and I've also tried dropping the speed down to 54Mb/s, all to no avail. I'm waiting for a level 2 engineer to call me back. In the mean time, I solved my problem another way: I swapped out the router and replaced it with a Linksys WRT1900AC. I do hope to get the Netgear router working properly, but in the mean time I just need stability.
Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E