Connection Speed Question - Why is it much slower at different times of the day?

Luckyword
Aspirant

Connection Speed Question - Why is it much slower at different times of the day?

I recently changed plans to have up to 600 Meg download, and also replaced the XFinity Xfi router with a Nighthawk CM1150V. I've been testing the connection speed at different times of the day, ensuring that all factors are similar -- during the test ensuring the same number of devices are connected, there's no heavy bandwidth usage, and similar distance from the router. I also have quite a few 2.4 mgz smart devices connected (mostly wi fi bulbs and plugs). 

Download speeds have been as high as 460 Mbps, and Upload Speeds vary from about 12 to 18 Mbps. I usually get those results when I test in the afternoon...

But when I test in the morning, around 5:30 AM, I get download speeds varying from about 35 to 60 Mbps. 

I've tried restarting the modem, but that doesn't solve the issue, and I have consistent results similar to the above over about the past week or two.

I could still return (exchange) the modem, if that could be an issue. 

Any ideas/suggestions on why this may be occurring, and how to address the inconsistent speeds I'm  getting? Thanks.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Connection Speed Question - Why is it much slower at different times of the day?

do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and the logs from the modem?

how are you testing? wired? wireless? 

What site are you using for testing? 

Are you directly connected to the modem for testing or going through a router? (I'd imagine a router is in there since you put you have wireless devices connected) 

What router? 

for testing modems, directly connect to it to ensure the router isn't whats slowing you down. 

Also, speedtesting over wireless isn't recommend because so many factors influence wireless speeds from the device itself, to the environment, to wireless interference. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 3
Luckyword
Aspirant

Re: Connection Speed Question - Why is it much slower at different times of the day?

Thanks for the helpful reply. I tried a direct connection to the router and the speed was much higher, closer to 400 mbps download. 

I'd been testing using Wireless on my computers and devices using Speedtest.com

I have a Google Nest WiFi router connected to the Netgear Nighthawk Modem, and I just tested the speed using the Google Home App, and it shows download speeds of about 600 mbps. 

Thanks again for the helpful reply. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E