Re: Connection of MyBook as ReadySHARE USB Hard Drive

justinmreina
Tutor

Connection of MyBook as ReadySHARE USB Hard Drive

We have gotten the AC1750 for our office and would like to share access to our MyBook unit, can you connect the Western Digital MyBook to the ReadySHARE's USB hard drive connection? We have confirmed ReadySHARE connection with another USB hard drive, is this possible with the MyBook?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
IrvSp
Master

There are MyBook's and MyBook's. That means all are not created equal.

Need some info, model numbers/disk size, disk format's, number of partitions, it is powered by a transformer or the USB port.

Basically, 4TB's or less, should work. Formatted NTFS (some MyBooks ship ExFat and do NOT work), self powered, and on both USB ports they should work.

Message 2 of 11
justinmreina
Tutor

Hey listen, my book is where its at - oh

Hehe, we have the 3TB model (#WDBBGB0030HBK-NESN), see attached for its serial tag. I have tried both USB ports, neither are working for this MyBook, but they both are working for my WD Passport (#WDBZFP0010BBK-NESN)

Message 3 of 11
justinmreina
Tutor

Both are also of the NTFS format to note

Message 4 of 11
IrvSp
Master

I am sort of guessing, but I think I know why both will not work?

That said, before I say why, do EITHER show up on the USB page when plugged in? If they do, the problem could be W10.

Now why I don't think they will work:

• First drive listed has H/W Encryption it seems. I do not think these can be used. May also have more than one partition?
  • Second is clearly a Portable, and some work, some don't? These draw power from the USB port, and it is possible it might work if it is the only drive connected.

One thing you could try to rule out a router h/w issue is use a small Flash/Thumb drive. See if you can read that and/or if it registers.

Message 5 of 11
justinmreina
Tutor

Hi IrvSp, thanks for the info & tips, I think this may be power related as you mention. I repeated this morning with:

Devices:

• MyBook

• MyPassport

• USB Flash (Sandisk Cruzer)

The Flash drive works fine, now the MyBook & MyPassport are not working. See attached for the device properties listings, let me know your thoughts. I have access to a powered USB hub if this will help in debug

*this interface prohibits ZIP and only allows one attachment, so AOL/Netscape circa the early 2000's lol. I merged all to 'Device Properties.png' then to mitigate, see attached 👍

Message 6 of 11
IrvSp
Master

@justinmreina. "See attached for the device properties listings," Seems it wasn't posted.

However you basically proved my point.

Flashdrive works... so why not the others? MyBook has h/w encryption by the WD documentation (https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/external-drives/wd-my-book-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBBGB0030HBK-NESN ). Encrypted drives supposedly will not work. Same goes for Portable drives that use the USB port for power.

The Portable drive might work if used alone though and it might only work in one USB port, not the other.

I'd think even with a power USB hub might work for the portable drive though.

Message 7 of 11
justinmreina
Tutor

Can we use Windows BitLocker to remove the encryption from the WD devices?

Message 8 of 11
IrvSp
Master

I wouldn't think so IF the disk encryption is the cause of it not working on the router? That is done in the h/w, not s/w. Don't have that specific MyBook, but it could be possibly turned off? Might want to try the the WD forums and see?

If you still have FREE support on the router, might want to contact NG Support?

Message 9 of 11
justinmreina
Tutor

IrvSp, aren’t you part of Netgear? With your quality of response and displayed skill I assumed that! Let me know, I will reach out directly to them if needed!
Message 10 of 11
IrvSp
Master

@justinmreina wrote:
IrvSp, aren’t you part of Netgear? With your quality of response and displayed skill I assumed that! Let me know, I will reach out directly to them if needed!

Sorry, no, I amnot, and neither are about 90% of the responders here. Only those with a small NG 'icon' by the name are. Other are just plain olf users like you, that have experience with networking and wish to help others out. I do NOT get anything for doing this, and I suspect almost all other as well do not, but some may have access to some Netgear people.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E