SpaceWaffles
Aspirant

Connection randomly dropping, unrelated to ISP

I have had this issue for a few months now, and my router is almost exactly a year old. At random times my router will just drop connection for a few seconds, and then come back as if nothing happened. It is impossible to predict when it happens, some days it wont drop at all, some it will drop up multiple times an hour, and some it will drop just a couple times throughout the day. This is my second Nighthawk R7800, the first had the same problems but it was returned and replaced with my current one, which gave me absolutely no trouble for about 7 months, and I purchased/setup this router almost exactly a year ago.

As someone who games and watches lots of streams, it is extremely maddening when in a game or watching something that just drops. On average, I have about 9 devices connected to the network, but most are things like a firestick, google home, or phones/ipads that arent even in use at that moment. Most of the time, it is just me with my laptop, PS4, and sometimes phone that is actively using the network. Yes, I will game and watch streams at the same time, but my internet sits around 200mbps which should be plenty for the data I use, and my router before this Nighthawk was an objectively worse Netgear router (something like WNDR3000 or something) which had 0 problems. I have had my ISP come out to check the connection and make sure everything is good, which it is, and every time I call after a drop, they find nothing wrong on their side.

As for what I have tried to fix the probelm, I have done just about everything that seems it would make a difference. I have tried many different configurations of WMM and QoS settings, even turned on/off UPnP, changed channels, modes, and turned off 20/40 coexistence (this has actually seemingly limited how many drops happen by a SIGNIFICANT ammount, but I feel like a jerk for turning it off), and I have given different priorities to different devices (actually I now realize I changed this at the same time as 20/40 coexistence so maybe this also had some effect).

Either way, I have no idea what to do from here. If anyone has any idea what could be causing these random drops, please please please let me know so I can try it out. Thanks in advance

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 16
SpaceWaffles
Aspirant

Re: Connection randomly dropping, unrelated to ISP

I should mention that firmware should be up to date, and yes, everything is screwed in properly

Message 2 of 16

@SpaceWaffles wrote:

I should mention that firmware should be up to date....

That doesn't tell us much. What is the number of the firmware?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 16
SpaceWaffles
Aspirant

WMM, UPnP are enabled, I have 20/40 disabled but I will enable it, My average speedtest is 180 down/10 up and I have QoS manually locked at 150/10. Here are my port statsport stats.png

Message 4 of 16
myersw
Master

Never had incorrectly set QoS cause drops in Internet connection. Looks like he could actually do 160 for the down. Easy way to tell if it is QoS causing the Internet drops is to turn QoS off and run that way. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 16
pec967
Luminary

I had this exact same problem when I upgraded firmware without doing a factory reset and configuration by hand. After doing a factory reset and entering all the configuration data again by hand, I have not had any further problems. My R7800 has been up for 90+ days without a reboot, no dropped connections, and outstanding Wi-Fi performance.

There are a number of bugs that have been introduced since firmware version 1.0.2.38. I am running version 1.0.2.44, which has bugs, but at least it doesn't reset to factory settings after a power on/off-cycle like v. 1.0.2.46. My advice would be to perform a factory reset, only change DHCP reservations (if you need them), leave everthing else at factory default, and see if that resolves your problem. 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 6 of 16

@pec967 wrote:

I had this exact same problem when I upgraded firmware without doing a factory reset and configuration by hand. 

That is very sound advice. I should have spotted it earlier. Unfortunately, @SpaceWaffles didn't respond to my question about the version of the firmware. (Claims that it is "up to date" are meaningless.) Had there been answer I might have thought about the reset trick. It is the most obvious thing to try before bothering with subtle changes in the settings.

A reset seems like, and probably is, on the lines of "I haven't got a clue, so try switching it on and off." But it has worked so many times, and is what Netgear will advise, that it is silly not to try it early on.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 16
SpaceWaffles
Aspirant

Sorry for being late on responses. I regularly go to two different houses so I couldnt be here to sort through and test different suggestions. I am running 1.0.2.46, which should be the latest (I figured up to date would imply I am using the absolute most recent version, which is why I didnt respond to @michaelkenward, so sorry for that). I can factory reset and try that, as it seems my problems may have popped up again around the release of .46

For other quesitons, @Case850 I pay for 200/15, so sitting around 180/10 is pretty much what I expect. I actually called my ISP once and they reccommended I set it to up to 800mbps so I switched it to that. Tbh I dont really understand the difference in these modes so I didnt question it.

And to reiterate, the problem happens very randomly so I wont be able to reply with results for anything until it happens, or if it goes a few days without dropping, I will let everyone know it (maybe) is fixed. Thanks for all the help <3

Message 8 of 16
myersw
Master

Interesting you get 180 when paying for 200. ISP's I know of over provision a line so that when things bog down you are still getting your paid for bandwidth. Example I pay Comcast for 100/10, but during the day I get more like 120/12 when I run speed tests and at night rarely drops below 100. . 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 9 of 16
SpaceWaffles
Aspirant

Interesting. Pretty normal here though. I have Cox and used ATT long ago but both have always given me under what I pay, even if only slightly

Message 10 of 16
SpaceWaffles
Aspirant

Here you go. Keep in mind I havent factory reset yet, so my QoS is still set to 150/10. The first screenshot is from being plugged into the modem directly, the second is plugged into the router. Idk what the ratings at the bottom mean, but my current laptop doesnt have an ethernet port, so I used a bad and old laptop which had things trying to start up at the same time so I think thats why it gave it a B rating despite being a better result, idk. 

Message 11 of 16
myersw
Master

@SpaceWaffles wrote:

Interesting. Pretty normal here though. I have Cox and used ATT long ago but both have always given me under what I pay, even if only slightly

I had ATT Uverse until last July. They also over provisioned as well. Always got more on speed tests then what I was paying for.

As I already said Comcast is also over provisioning and folks I know that have Comcast have the same experience. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 16

@SpaceWaffles wrote:

I am running 1.0.2.46, which should be the latest (I figured up to date would imply I am using the absolute most recent version....

The reason for rejecting "the latest" as useful information, apart from the fact that it gets out of date for later readers, is that the browser interface can show a "no update available" message when in reality there is a newer version available for download and manual installation.The automated process can take time to catch up with available downloads. (And vice versa.)

Also sometime Netgear puts out updates that haven't quite made it to the finishing line. Then there are the occasional beta versions that are put out to fix known problems. These appears as a "Hot Fix".

For example, if you owned an R7000P your device would show Firmware Version 1.3.1.26 as the latest whereas there is also available a Hot Fix tagged Firmware Version 1.3.2.34.

Did you read the release notes for your firmware?

R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.46 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Known unfixed issues:
Intel7260/3160 has a connection problem with the R7800 when the HT160 is enabled. This issue is due to the Intel driver. Intel is looking into this.

I have no idea if this is relevant your circumstances, but I thought it worth passing on.

Just another user.

Message 13 of 16
SpaceWaffles
Aspirant

Thanks for the explanation, I'll do that next time. For the bottom part, unfortunately that isnt the problem. I didnt want to do a factory reset as that just seems like a chore but I think thats my best bet so I'm gonna go do that

Message 14 of 16
SpaceWaffles
Aspirant

Welp factory reset and am still having probelms. All I did was change the name of network and password, havent touched any settings so I honestly dont know what to do at this point. Should I just revert to an earlier firmware version? (and how do I do that?) @michaelkenward

Message 15 of 16

@Case850 wrote:

@SpaceWaffles

Cannot see your attachments in Message 14.

Still awaiting a Netgear minder to let them through.

Just another user.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements