Highlighted
Star

Connectivity Issues Since Firmware Update

I updated to Firmware Version V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 two days ago and have had continued network connectivity loss. All devices suddenly lose all internet access, although they are still connected to the router. The only way to regain connectivity is to reboot the router. I have had no connectivity issues until I installed this update.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? If so, any known resolutions? 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 30
Highlighted
Star

Re: Connectivity Issues Since Firmware Update

@TheN3rd wrote:

I updated to Firmware Version V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 two days ago and have had continued network connectivity loss. All devices suddenly lose all internet access, although they are still connected to the router. The only way to regain connectivity is to reboot the router. I have had no connectivity issues until I installed this update.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? If so, any known resolutions? 

This happened to me too.  There are other threads talking about this, but the one that matches up with my issue is probably that I am using OpenDNS Parental controls.  My internet stopped working in about 1-2 hours, but my vpn connection kept working along with a few other things.  Are you using the Parental controls with OpenDNS?

This post seems to indicate that Disney Circle parental controls don't cause this issue: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/No-internet-access-after-installing-firmware...

I'm not willing to upgrade again though until I know it will solve the problem.

Message 2 of 30
Highlighted
Star

In fact, I am using Parental Controls with OpenDNS. Did you disable it and found that the connectivity issues stopped?

Message 3 of 30
Highlighted
Star

I have not tried it yet with .18.  I downgraded the firmware to .12, and it fixed everything, and have been looking at the posts to see if anyone can confirm this will fix it before i upgrade again.  If i try again, will let you know, but too many family members complain when the internet stops working.

Message 4 of 30
Highlighted
Star

Thanks for the info! I'm going to roll back as well and wait (I feel your pain on the complaints from family members!)

Message 5 of 30
Highlighted
Tutor

[for Netgear support]

Me, too, where my problem is that all DNS lookups would fail (timeout) a few minutes after reboot when using the OpenDNS parental controls.  

Rollback to 1.0.4.12 fixed it, and I also won't go forward again until a dns fix.  

Message 6 of 30
Highlighted
Initiate

18 firmware update with stop resolving DNS with parental controls using the OPENDNS DNS servers. This usually happens after a few hours. You can disable parental controls which causes the routers to use standard ISP DNS.  Or revert back to old firmware. THANKS NETGEAR for really testing the 18 UPDATE.  TOTAL FAIL.

Message 7 of 30
Highlighted
Star

I initially rolled back to .12 and the issue stopped. So I disabled OpenDNS Parental Controls (honestly, not sure why I ever enabled it in the first place), and updated back to .18 and all is well.
Message 8 of 30
Highlighted

In my case, it looks like the .18 update broke DHCP.  None of my machines would work after the update, unless I manually configured everything - IP, DNS, Gateway etc.  

A rollback to .12 fixed it.

Message 9 of 30
Highlighted
Star

@TheN3rd wrote:
I initially rolled back to .12 and the issue stopped. So I disabled OpenDNS Parental Controls (honestly, not sure why I ever enabled it in the first place), and updated back to .18 and all is well.

When you turned off parental controls, are you still using the OpenDNS servers for DNS instead of Get Automatically from ISP?

Message 10 of 30
Highlighted
Star

Yes - as I mentioned previously, I have used OpenDNS for some time; long before Netgear parental control integration. Not sure why I ever enabled it on the router in the first place since I already had it set up as I've wanted via DNS.
Message 11 of 30
Highlighted
Guide

Like others, I am having this same issue after upgrading to .18 on my R8000. I use OpenDNS with Parental Controls as well. WiFi works for a bit, then stops. Restarting seems to be the only fix. Looks like I'll drop down to .12 until this gets resolved. Now to find the .12 firmware...

Message 12 of 30
Highlighted
Star

I would encourage anyone experiencing this issue to disable OpenDNS parental controls in their router. Considering each firmware update also includes security patches, I would not encourage rolling back updates. Instead, follow the "Netgear Router" directions listed here on the OpenDNS website - https://use.opendns.com/

As I'v previously mentioned, this is actually how I've always used OpenDNS. I can't remember exaclty when or why I enabled Parental Controls on my router (probably simply out of curiosity), but using OpenDNS in the manner I've just provided provides this exact same level of protection and customization.

Thanks to all who helped with feedback on this!

Message 13 of 30
Highlighted

In my case, the upgrade to .18 breaks network connectivity entirely, even with parental controls completely disabled.

I have never, ever used parental controls, don't have kids.   The FW update seems to breaks DHCP functionality in my case, with a completely incoherent set of IP, DNS, and Gateway addresses being sent back to the machine when it tries to connect to the router.

I have no choice, except maybe buying a new router, of rolling back to .12 to make things work.  As mentioned however, without .18 I am missing some security patches and with this and that does not make me feel good.  I have never used remote admin, which is how the exploit gets in, but still the exposure makes me uncomfortable.

Is Netgear monitoring this and is there a way to get the to ACK things here if so?  I am not going to pay for a support call on this, if they push me down that route I will put the money to a new router instead, just on principle.

Message 14 of 30
Highlighted
Star

@steveng57 wrote:

In my case, the upgrade to .18 breaks network connectivity entirely, even with parental controls completely disabled.

I have never, ever used parental controls, don't have kids.   The FW update seems to breaks DHCP functionality in my case, with a completely incoherent set of IP, DNS, and Gateway addresses being sent back to the machine when it tries to connect to the router.

I have no choice, except maybe buying a new router, of rolling back to .12 to make things work.  As mentioned however, without .18 I am missing some security patches and with this and that does not make me feel good.  I have never used remote admin, which is how the exploit gets in, but still the exposure makes me uncomfortable.

Is Netgear monitoring this and is there a way to get the to ACK things here if so?  I am not going to pay for a support call on this, if they push me down that route I will put the money to a new router instead, just on principle.

Out of curiosity, did you factory reset after the .18 update, and are you using OpenDNS without the parental control?

I decided to re-updated to .18, with the plan of going back to .12 if i still had issues, but everything is working for me after:

upgrading to .18

Factory resetting device

Using OpenDNS, but NOT parental control

Painfully re-entering my 20+ reserved IP addresses (i.e. security cameras, etc.) and other settings.

I don't know if the factory reset fixed me, as I didn't test with just turning off parental control first (can't leave internet down too long without complaints).  So far there has been no issue after about 2 days.

I wish there was a faster way to restore IP address reservations, especially as I think about the next firmware update, if i'm forced to factory reset again.

BTW, I tried the Disney circle thing, and I don't like it, as I just want a single set of rules to apply to every device - maybe I just need to explore the interface more to make that happen, but OpenDNS settings seemed more granular.

TheN3rd, how are you linking it to your OpenDNS settings for content filtering?  There doesn't seem to be a way to put in the OpenDNS login info with parental controls set to off

Message 15 of 30
Highlighted
Tutor

In my earlier testing, the Parental Controls OpenDNS integration removes the ability of individual devices to bypass OpenDNS by manually setting their DNS servers (presumably through packet rewriting), and the recent failures with the .18 firmware encouraged my kids to find out how DNS works.  

Regarding the recent exploit, I have turned off remote administration in the router settings in the hope that will make me a less attractive target, but yes, I wouldn't want to stay with the older version very long. 

Netgear: As a previous poster asked, is there any chance for an acknowledgement here, and ideally a promise of a fix? This was not a cheap router, and I bought it instead of some other vendor's offering on the strength of the parental controls integration.  

Message 16 of 30
Highlighted
Star

Message 17 of 30
Highlighted
Star

I

@steveng57 wrote:

I would hope they monitor their community boards, but who knows....

Maybe you could setup OpenDNS anyway, simply for the use of their DNS server(s) to get around this issue. Thing is, you don't HAVE TO enable any parental controls. Not sure if you're familiar with the service, but on the configuration screen for your network on OpenDNS, you can simply select "None" - there will be no filtering or restrictions, but you would still be resolving to their DNS server(s). In this way, you would at least have the latest firmware on your Netgear router, but a stop-gap measure for the DNS issue you're having until they get this bug resolved.

Message 18 of 30
Highlighted

Good suggestion re the open DNS thing.  I could try that and if I have some spare time I might.  But if it doesn't work I will have to rollback/reset etc... no fun.  Its an "iffy" thing rolling back and restoring configs...whenever I do that I still have to cross my fingers and hope, as sometimes they just don't take.  

Though in my case I did not see it as purely a DNS issue...Windows would report "Invalid TCP/IP configuration" on trying to connect, and when I looked at things (ipconfig /all) what came back was gibberish.  So even the base IP address provided by the router was wrong.  Add to that the default gateway was bad, and the DNS servers were nonesense, its not hard to see why nothing worked.

All up, I really wish Netgear would step in and provide better guidance here.  They are rapidly losing my respect as a company because of this.  They are just not getting in front of it.

Message 19 of 30
Highlighted
Tutor

I've had same issues after update and have came across 2 fixes, one of which was listed here in that doing a factory reset after the firmware upgrade seemed to fix the issues. Before that though, another person said that turning off the traffic meter (which seemed to enable by default with new firmware) fixed their issue.
Message 20 of 30
Highlighted
Tutor

Are you successfully using router's OpenDNS parental controls feature (not just setting the DNS server to the OpenDNS ones) after the factory reset? 

Do you remember if the person who turned off the traffic meter was using the OpenDNS parental controls feature? 

Thanks!

--Glenn S.

Message 21 of 30
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi All,
I'm also facing issues after updating to latest firmware. I'm at firmware V1.0.9.34_10.2.36.
Unfortunately, I don't recall what version I was at before and i would have rolled back if i knew!!

Symptoms are the same as mentioned on this thread i.e. wifi connectivity issues on devices like ipad.
I've done a factory reset after the firmware upgrade to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 22 of 30
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello mtllights

Is it only devices like your IPAD? if so have you tried to remove the network from the Ipads settings and then connect again?

DarrenM

Message 23 of 30
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi DarrenM,
Appreciate the reply.

I see the IPAD suffers this connectivity issue more than other devices. I tried to remove the network from the Ipads settings and same issue. I also tried to restart the Ipad but to no avail.
All devices including modem/router have been reset.

I wish i had not upgraded my firmware for my R7000 but can't remember my original version. Is there a way to find that?

Thanks!

Message 24 of 30
Highlighted

@mtllights

Way to tell what build you were running previously....  There is not, but you can go back to whatever version you want.  Since you nave already reset, flashing to an earlier build won't be a big deal. 

FYI, if you are co-mingling a saved configuration file of your setings (.cfg), between different FW builds, this has been known to cause issues.  Recommend you not do this.    

I have a R7000 that is completely stable on 1.0.9.34, but I seem to be one of the few who has had absolute success.  I'm not using VPN.  I also do not use SmartConnect, Traffic Meter or QoS.  The latter can cause issues.

Based on feedback (if you use VPN) .32 is known to work stable.  You don't want to go back farther if VPN since OpenVPN cert update (from MD5 to SHA256) was introduced in build .32 and is more secure.  Not using VPN, then no issue going back to .28. 

I tried build .26 a while back and did not have good results.  YMMV. 

If you are absolutely unable to get .34 working satisfactorily, I would recommend reverting to .32.  Auto FW updated was implemented in build .28, so be sure you disable this if reverting to .32 or you will go right back to .34 on first boot and set up. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.64 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements