Re: Connectiy issues with R7800 in Bridge Mode

Patrick_H
Tutor

Connectiy issues with R7800 in Bridge Mode

I'm operating R7800 in bridge mode. Unfortunately, the connection to devices linked to the R7800 often gets lost. The only solution to the issue is currently power off/on. Does anybody have an idea how to solve this? The firmware of the router is 1.0.2.68, which should be the latest version. Many thanks for any reply!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 24

@Patrick_H wrote:

I'm operating R7800 in bridge mode.

What does that mean to you? Sadly bridge mode gets used in different ways. Even Netgear's documentation gets confused.

Do you mean wifi bridge mode?

If so, what's at the other end?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 24
Patrick_H
Tutor

Yes, the device works in wifi bridge mode. It connects to a wifi access point.

Message 3 of 24

@Patrick_H wrote:

Yes, the device works in wifi bridge mode. It connects to a wifi access point.

So the R7800 is the "host"?

And the access point is?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 24
Patrick_H
Tutor

Dear Michael

Many thanks for your posts.

The R7800 connects with bridge mode to a dLan550+ WiFi which connects to dLan550+ which connects to my Sunrise Router. After the R7800 I have a Switch with PoE for my cameras.

Today the system lost the connection again. Turning the R7800 off and on solves the issue. I guess there is an issue with the renewal of the IP.

What do you mean by host?

Best wishes,

Patrick

Message 5 of 24

@Patrick_H wrote:

The R7800 connects with bridge mode to a dLan550+ WiFi which connects to dLan550+ which connects to my Sunrise Router. After the R7800 I have a Switch with PoE for my cameras.

So, the R7800 is the "receiver" in this bridge?

But if you have another router in front of the R7800, you probably have two routers on your network. (Heaven only knows what the make and model of this Sunrise Router, might be.) Bad idea. All those dLan550 things on there also smell like a recipe for disaster. 

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

You are well; outside my comfort zione on this. I am familiar with the R7800 as a router, its real purpose. If your use entails switching the R7800 into AP mode, then that lands you in new territory.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The symptoms you describe could well be down to AP mode.

Just another user.

Message 6 of 24
antinode
Guru

> So the R7800 is the "host"?

> So, the R7800 is the "receiver" in this bridge?

Perhaps it's the "wireless bridge".  All these connections are
bidirectional; there is no "receiver" (or "transmitter"), only
transceivers.

To spare us all from more nonsensical psuedo-technical terms, please
visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.

Are you talking about what's described under "Use the Router as a
WiFi Access Point", or what's described under "Use the Router in Bridge
Mode", or what?

> All those dLan550 things on there also smell like a recipe for
> disaster.

Why?  COVID-19?  What if they're just Powerline adapters?:

https://www.devolo.com/dlan-550-plus-wifi-powerline

Do the LED indicators on those devices continue to show a good
physical link?  It might be interesting to replace them (temporarily)
with an Ethernet cable.

> You are well; outside my comfort zione on this. [...]

Clearly.  But a more detailed and precise description of the devices
involved, how they're connected, and how they're configured might help.
For example, "my Sunrise Router" is not a very useful description to
anyone other than its owner.  (Hint: If a device has different types of
Ethernet ports, then "connected to device" is not enough detail.)

> [...] the connection to devices linked to the R7800 often gets lost.
> [...]

> [...] the system lost the connection [...]

What, exactly, "lost the connection" to what, exactly?  Are the
devices losing their wireless-network connection to the R7800, or is the
R7800 losing its connection to the main router, or what?

As usual, showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results
(error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> The symptoms you describe could well be down to AP mode.

Only if there's a bug/defect somewhere.  It's not as if the R7800 is
not supposed to support that mode of operation.

Message 7 of 24
Patrick_H
Tutor

Many thanks for your answers.

I think it is the renewal of the IP-adresses which causes the malfunctioning, probably because of some issues with the firmware of the R7800. Maybe I try to roll back the firmware or maybe I just trow the device to garbage.

Have a good one!

Message 8 of 24

@Patrick_H wrote:

I think it is the renewal of the IP-adresses which causes the malfunctioning, probably because of some issues with the firmware of the R7800.

On the first point, do you have any evidence to back up this guess? Do any of the many devices on your network have logs that would lead you to that conclusion? Perhaps even the R7800? Logging is not one of the features on the "doesn't work" list for AP mode.

On the second point, the R7800 is one of the few Netgear devices that has yet to deliver any significant issues due to new firmware. Then again, not many people have turned up here with one of these in AP or wireless bridge mode. The R7800 is essentially the "workhorse" device that gets more recommendations than most when people ask about which router to get.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 24
antinode
Guru

> [...] Maybe I try to roll back the firmware or maybe I just trow the
> device to garbage. [...]

Or you _could_ try to answer the pending questions, and, perhaps, get
a more productive suggestion (based on actual information).

Message 10 of 24
Benjina
Tutor

I have never made an account for a forum like this but your posts, Antinode, are so overwhelmingly condescending and pretentious that I felt obligated to contribute. It makes me less likely to come to a site like this for support when the individuals responding to support requests handle themselves with such brazen disregard for the people they think they are helping. We get it, more information would have been helpful for diagnosing the root of the issue. You act rude and elitist in every response I have seen of yours. Is there not a better way to get the information you're looking for? You act better than everyone you are talking to, making pedantic grammatical corrections, then using words like 'irregardful'. This hardly seems like a welcoming support community.

Message 11 of 24
Patrick_H
Tutor

Cool, Netgear has ghost writers 🙂 (or bots) What does 'irregardful' mean? I'm German speaking, don't know the meaning of this word is!
Message 12 of 24

@Patrick_H wrote:
Cool, Netgear has ghost writers 🙂 (or bots) What does 'irregardful' mean? I'm German speaking, don't know the meaning of this word is!

I'm English speaking and writing (for a living) and "irregardful" is a new one me. The spell checker doesn't like it either.

I think that is the point that @Benjina was trying to make. It shows that they have done some deep searching into the archives of this place.

Just another user.

Message 13 of 24
antinode
Guru

> [...] What does 'irregardful' mean? [...]

It's an antonym for "irregardless".

"irregardless" is a moderately common, non-standard English word,
which arose when semi-literate people took two synonymous standard
words, "irrespective" and "regardless", and smooshed them together to
make "irregardless", which is a confused double negative (hence
non-standard).

> [...] they have done some deep searching into the archives of this
> place.

I switched to using the more common "regardless" here some time ago,
precisely because "irregardful" might cause problems for non-native
English users.  (Thus demonsrating my intrinsic kindness and sympathy

for the reader.  But clarity for the reader is more valuable than my own
amusement.  Perhaps.)

Message 14 of 24
Benjina
Tutor

I think you're misunderstanding what an antonym is, but carry on.

You seem to be missing my point - your clearly superior vocabulary aside, I just ask that you be more mindful of the way you come off in your posts here. The intent should be to inform and assist, rather than to demean and belittle. Your posts seem to mostly consist of poking holes in the questions being asked moreso than offering insight or suggestions. Irregardful, I was just put off by a few of your responses in these threads. Plenty of others manage to probe for further information without condescending to the person asking the question.

Message 15 of 24

@Benjina wrote:

...I just ask that you be more mindful

Good grief. Are we getting into "woke" territory?

That way madness lies.

Just another user.

Message 16 of 24
Benjina
Tutor

I didn't think it was too much to ask that people not be condescending and rude in a conversation that was intended to be supportive and helpful, but if we're diminishing that to 'woke' culture then I'll take this elsewhere. Now I know that we settle for antagonistic jabs and grammatical 'corrections' in a support thread.

Message 17 of 24

@Benjina wrote:

I didn't think it was too much to ask that people not be condescending and rude in a conversation that was intended to be supportive and helpful, but if we're diminishing that to 'woke' culture then I'll take this elsewhere. Now I know that we settle for antagonistic jabs and grammatical 'corrections' in a support thread.

Indeed. I was trying to lighten the tone. It needed it.

I rarely comment on grammar, expect when it makes a message unintelligible. (Sadly, that is all too common.) After all, we have plenty of people who are not native English speakers.

I find wonky formatting more annoying because it makes it very hard to follow messages.

To round this off, it might be worth repeating Netgear's "rules" for this place:

NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated.

The operative word in there is "respect".

Just another user.

Message 18 of 24
Patrick_H
Tutor

What is this discussion about? I don't get it.

I have changed the lease time of the DHCP-Server in my network to one hour and the problems appeared almost immediately. Now, I have changed it back to one week and it works (for the moment). It seems quite certain to me that something goes wrong with the renewal of the IP-addresses. That’s an issue which has been posted in many other threads and which is obviously not being solved by Netgear.

The best thing is probably to replace the R7800 by another device which can work in bridge mode.

Message 19 of 24

After some searching, I stumbled across this:

What features are disabled when my Nighthawk R7000 is set to bridge mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It says R7000, but Netgear routers generally have the same features. Not sure if this covers the renewal of the IP-addresses, but it does show that not all features carry over

Not knowing your network, I don't know the layout, but when I wanted to spread wifi to inaccessible areas I set up the second router (in my case an Orbi) as a wireless access point.

Before you shout that this won't work because you can't run a cable that far, I should add that I use Powerline Ethernet to create the wired connection between router and AP.

Like wifi, Powerline Ethernet can be susceptible to interference, but here at least it does the job. I don't see any loss of speed on the AP.

Just another user.

Message 20 of 24
Patrick_H
Tutor

Many thanks for your answer. A bug is not a disabled feature..

The problem is that tech companies sell us stuff which is not finished and afterwards they don't have the time to fix the errors because they are developing new things.

Message 21 of 24

@Patrick_H wrote:

Many thanks for your answer. A bug is not a disabled feature..

I see no convincing evidence of any bug.

Just one person's theory.

Just another user.

Message 22 of 24
Patrick_H
Tutor

The last word shall be yours

Thank you for your input

Message 23 of 24
Patrick_H2
Aspirant

The issue is still there and no solution is available from Netgear. I therefore gave the device a 1-star rating on www.digitec.ch, which is the largest IT online shop in Switzerland. Furthermore I want to express, that I dislike the moderation Netgear is doing in its forums. It also seems that my user account has been blocked, I needed to open a new one for this post.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E