Continued Dropped Wi-Fi with V1.0.3.60_1.1.27

MichaelFL
Apprentice

Continued Dropped Wi-Fi with V1.0.3.60_1.1.27

Hello,

Possibly same as others.

1. Latest Firmware V1.0.3.60_1.1.27
2. Problem continues
3. Problem: It shows Wi-Fi is happy, but none of my Wi-Fi devices can do anything
4. Resolution: Reboot the router, which is NO resolution when you have to do it 1-10 times a week

Connected Resources, I never have an issue with

Any thoughts or prayers.. I love it when it works... but having to stop working to reset it (I work from home) sucks...

There is no pattern, it just happens randomly whenever.
Message 1 of 22
sky4055
Aspirant

Re: Continued Dropped Wi-Fi with V1.0.3.60_1.1.27

Same issue here, with firmware version V1.0.3.60_1.1.27. Only 5GHz.

But after a reboot, everything works again.
Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 22
Rheumatoid
Aspirant

Mine did it a lot. I did begin to wonder whether it was something to do with its positioning and interference of cabling or something else but a cheap TP-Link W8970 to tide me over until I get fibre has been up faultlessly for 72 hours with no drop-outs and speed has been absolutely consistent on all devices (around 14) connected. Obviously it doesn't quite have the range or functionality but I can live with that in return for a stable network. Amazon were great. 4 months old and no arguments about return. Refunded within 24 hours.
Message 3 of 22
s52m3
Aspirant

I've had WiFi droppouts with all firmware since I bought this router about a month ago. I have not yet tried third party firmware but I am strongly considering it. It's a shame because I do like the speeds and range I get with this thing, but it's unreliable at best.
Message 4 of 22
EFaden
Aspirant

I'm also getting drops, but mine seem to be on both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz and are temporary. Randomly I'll get about 1 to 5 minutes of no wireless traffic going through even though it doesn't indicate anything wrong.... then it just starts to work again.
Message 5 of 22
sir_bazz
Guide

New to the forums but I've had my R7000 for around 6 months now.

If had the same symptoms as ongoing issue since purchase and it still continues with the .61 QA firmware. It's usually around 5 days before it needs a reboot to restore full wireless functionality.

I read somewhere it was an issue with the broadcom drivers so am hopeful that it will get resolved sooner or later.
Message 6 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would think if it were an issue with the Broadcom drivers themselves, DD-WRT would have the same issue since they also have the Broadcom drivers.

Furthermore, the layer 2 issues with switch extend to the wired bridge as well, so it's unlikely the wireless drivers are the culprit, at least not by themselves.
Message 7 of 22
ericnix
Aspirant

I experienced this today. Couldn't connect with my MacBook. Had to reboot the router. I tried deleting the stored wifi name in my MacBook (in system preferences), trying to rejoin the network, etc., but nothing worked until I rebooted the router. Now things are running incredibly fast. There's definitely a bug that Netgear needs to address. Thankfully this doesn't happen on a daily basis for me.
Netgear R7000

DD-WRT Kong 24345

overclocked to 1.2 GHz
Message 8 of 22
sir_bazz
Guide

htismaqe,

Not sure which issues you're referring to with wired connections, (never experienced any problems myself), but I was under the impression that DD-WRT had the same wireless issues as our oem firmware. Infact that was the main reason for me not trying DD-WRT.

Seems I should give DD-WRT a go.
Message 9 of 22
RogerSC
Virtuoso

sir_bazz wrote:
Not sure which issues you're referring to with wired connections, (never experienced any problems myself), but I was under the impression that DD-WRT had the same wireless issues as our oem firmware.

Yes, I suspect that if you use dd-wrt with the older wireless drivers (OLDD), you may see better stability.
Message 10 of 22
sir_bazz
Guide

I'll give a try then.....was looking for a good excuse to try DD-WRT as was curious about adding SNORT to my security setup.
Message 11 of 22
EFaden
Aspirant

sir_bazz,

Any updates on this?

I actually tried dd-wrt and it seemed worse... not sure why but I was getting WIFI losses and actually random reboots regularly.
Message 12 of 22
RogerSC
Virtuoso

EFaden wrote:

I actually tried dd-wrt and it seemed worse... not sure why but I was getting WIFI losses and actually random reboots regularly.

Was that with the older wireless drivers (OLDD), the newer ones (NEWD), or both?
Message 13 of 22
EFaden
Aspirant

NEWD. Never tried the OLDD ones. I don't really have time to mess with it right this second and the wife was getting annoyed by the crashes/wifi drops.
Message 14 of 22
sir_bazz
Guide

EFaden,

Installed OLDD as suggested by RogerSC so now just playing the waiting game.

Will have a good idea if it makes any difference, or not, within a week.
Message 15 of 22
NatRay
Tutor

I have been a card-carrying Netgear cheerleader for more than twenty years. I have owned a plethora of Netgear’s consumer routers, but have never been as disappointed as I am with the highly touted Nighthawk. I bought the Nighthawk as a Christmas present to myself in early December last year. Set up as an AP, its only job is to support two IP cameras. It fails miserably with consistent loss of signal issues that occur when the monitoring PC is shut down for an extended period of time.

The Nighthawk is one of five routers that support fourteen wireless IP cameras. I have been through all the iterations of firmware updates. None have produced a stable/reliable router. Currently my venerable WNDR3700v1 remains the King of the Hill. Yesterday I picked up an ASUS RT-N66R, aka Dark Knight, from BB. Out of the box, I am impressed. Thus far, it is out performing the Nighthawk in its ability to deliver a stable wireless router. Only time will tell . . . the WNDR3700 had growing pains also. Hopefully my $200.00 disappointment will grow to be a pearl . . .
Best regards,

Nat Ray MCSE/MCT since 1997

Cox Communications > SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 > WNDR3700v1 (4), WNDR3400v2 (2), WPN824v2 (2), R7000, RT-N66R *AP(s) via Wired Backbone* > Ooma Telo / D-Link DGS-1024D > NeoTV-550 (3) . . .** HPEnvy800 -PHX **

DD-WRT v24-SP2 (12/14/11) std. Build 18007

Optimize your network: Disable IPv6 . . . Post responsibly . . .

‘Quality trumps Quantity’
Message 16 of 22
RogerSC
Virtuoso

NatRay wrote:
I have been a card-carrying Netgear cheerleader for more than twenty years. I have owned a plethora of Netgear’s consumer routers, but have never been as disappointed as I am with the highly touted Nighthawk.

The Nighthawk is one of five routers that support fourteen wireless IP cameras. I have been through all the iterations of firmware updates. None have produced a stable/reliable router. Yesterday I picked up an ASUS RT-N66R, aka Dark Knight, from BB. Hopefully my $200.00 disappointment will grow to be a pearl . . .

The router that I used before the R7000, the RT-N66U, is indeed a nice router, especially with RMerlin's firmware. However, I was looking for a wireless-AC router, and from the moment that I turned on the R7000 and experienced the wireless coverage, I was hooked *smile*. Once I found the dd-wrt firmware, and got the reliability that I was looking for, as well as the performance, I've been enjoying using the R7000. It is as reliable as the RT-N66U was, and faster and better wireless.

That's my experience, anyways...started using the dd-wrt firmware with the R7000 as early as it made sense for me and stayed with it, along with testing the new stock firmware releases, and trying tomato. Ended up coming back to dd-wrt time after time for several reasons *smile*, makes this great piece of hardware into a great router.
Message 17 of 22
NatRay
Tutor

My woes with the WNDR3700v1 were solved with DD-WRT. Gonna follow your lead RogerSC and load it on the Nighthawk. Thanks for the feedback . . .
Best regards,

Cox Communications > SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 > WNDR3700v1 (4), WNDR3400v2 (2), WPN824v2 (2), R7000, RT-N66R *AP(s) via Wired Backbone* > Ooma Telo / D-Link DGS-1024D > NeoTV-550 (3) . . .** HPEnvy800 -PHX **

Message 18 of 22
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

I’ve seen none of the reported WiFi problems with the R7000, though I do run it as an access point and my wireless use is not 24/7. Though the laptop I use is wireless connected for several hours each day, and I have other WiFi devices that would log a drop in connection if it occurred.

Anyway, I have always been intrigued with DD-WRT and plan to give it a try soon with the R7000.
Message 19 of 22
NatRay
Tutor

I remember jumping through hoops to install DD-WRT on the WNDR3700, not so with the R7000. The installation is the same as installing Netgear’s firmware. Still too early to tell, but overall stability appears to be solid. After tweaking the TX setting to 999, the Nighthawk covers the entire house. I may have to tweak it down if I get complaints from my neighbors. After installation I couldn’t connect to one of the cameras the Nighthawk had been supporting using Netgear’s firmware. After some diligent troubleshooting I discovered that both the Dark Knight and the Nighthawk had the same issue.

The Dark Knight was purchased to support two of the fourteen wireless IP cameras I own. Both routers only allow connections to seven of the fourteen. Those cameras that aren’t able to connect wirelessly, using the RT-N66R and R7000, are entry-level Loftek cameras, specifically the Nexus-543 and the CXS-3200. All cams are setup to use WPA2-Personal authentication. Three other routers, all Netgear, have no issues, clearly a firmware issue. After balancing the distribution of wireless IP cams among the five routers my security network is functioning better than ever. I had to throttle each cams frame rate (20 fps) via Blue Iris to keep the monitoring PC’s CPU happy, but other than this hiccup I am extremely satisfied . . . Thus far Smiley Wink
Best regards,

Message 20 of 22
NatRay
Tutor

UPDATE:

My problem with the Nighthawk and Dark Knight has turned out to be a user configuration error. Revisiting the 2.4 GHz property page of each router, and taking a closer look at the ‘Wireless Mode’ settings, I decided to roll the dice and lower the N-Only settings.

After changing the Dark Knight to ‘Auto’ and the Nighthawk to ‘NG-Mixed’ all cameras can be configured to use all Access Points . . . Smiley Very Happy
Best regards,

Message 21 of 22
Fairytail
Virtuoso

I would suggest you contact support team for assistance.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements