Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Controlling Device on LAN

karlmurphy
Aspirant

Controlling Device on LAN

I'm having issues on network when I connect my fetch box to lan via ethernet. When connected via my wi-fi its fine but I would like use ethernet. 

My broadband NBN fibre gateway (device) is in the garage and that is connected to an 8 port TP switch which splits to 3 rooms and an alarm. 

The Nighthawk is connected via ethernet in one of those rooms. 

As soon as I connect the fetch box via ethenet in the other room - I loose the modem connection. The internet led on the Nighthawk switches is turned off and the WAN/Port 4 light also goes off.

As soon as I disconnect the fetch box ethernet cable, the wifi internet come backs via nighthawk with all leds illuminating as they should. 

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
additude
Virtuoso

OK Karl Murphy,

Your setup is?:

FIBER WAN-->NBN fibre gateway (device)-->8 Port TP Switch-->(Hardwired output to 3 seperate locations 1.2.3)-->1. Nighthawk Router, 2. Some other device, 3. Some other device

I think if this is your setup then this a big problem...

It should be more like:

FIBER WAN-->NBN fibre gateway (device)-->Nighthawk Router-->8 Port TP Switch-->To 3 seperate rooms...

Of course all depending on what ever NBN fibre gateway (device) is and how it is setup?

Depending on how you have a "Cable Modem/Router" configured?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
antinode
Guru

After: https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1886814 ,
I assume that this is hopeless, but I'll give it one more try.

> I'm having issues on network when I connect my fetch box [...]

What's a "fetch box"?  This?: https://www.fetchtv.com.au/

> My broadband NBN fibre gateway (device) [...]

What is _that_?  Has it a maker and model number?

> that is connected to an 8 port TP switch which splits to 3 rooms and
> an alarm.

Depending on what your (unspecified) "My broadband NBN fibre gateway
(device)" is, that could be harmless (or not).  Does that gizmo have
only one Ethernet port?  If so, then connecting it to a network switch
might be your first big problem.

> The Nighthawk is connected via ethernet in one of those rooms.

What, exactly, is your "The Nighthawk"?

> Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router

Is that accurate?  Or do you really have some more suitable device
(with a different model number)?  Look at the product label.  If you
really _do_ have a C7000, then what are you connecting to its
coaxial-cable port?

Are you really trying to connect a C7000 to your (unspecified) "My
broadband NBN fibre gateway (device)" (whatever that might be)?  That
would very likely be a very bad idea.  What, exactly, did you connect to
what, exactly?  (Hint: If a device has different types of Ethernet
ports, then "connected to device" is not enough detail.)

> As soon as I connect the fetch box via ethenet in the other room - I
> loose the modem connection. [...]

That's a connection between the Fetch box and the network switch?

What, exactly, is your "the modem"?  Is it related to your
(unspecified) "My broadband NBN fibre gateway (device)", or is it some
other thing?

> [...] The internet led on the Nighthawk switches is turned off [...]

It was on?  Some color or other?

> [...] and the WAN/Port 4 light also goes off.

"WAN/Port 4"?  Do you mean "LAN port 4"?  That might mean more if
anyone else know what you had connected to that port.

> As soon as I disconnect the fetch box ethernet cable, the wifi
> internet come backs via nighthawk with all leds illuminating as they
> should.

It's nice that you're happy, but revealing which lights do what would
be more helpful than whether they do, in your opinion, "as they should".

You may not believe it, but your chances of solving your problem(s)
may depend very heavily on your providing an accurate, detailed
description of all your devices, and exactly what is connected to what.
(Randomly generated model numbers are no substitute for accurate
information.)  I'd start with your (unspecified) "My broadband NBN fibre
gateway (device)".

Message 2 of 8
additude
Virtuoso

OK Karl Murphy,

Your setup is?:

FIBER WAN-->NBN fibre gateway (device)-->8 Port TP Switch-->(Hardwired output to 3 seperate locations 1.2.3)-->1. Nighthawk Router, 2. Some other device, 3. Some other device

I think if this is your setup then this a big problem...

It should be more like:

FIBER WAN-->NBN fibre gateway (device)-->Nighthawk Router-->8 Port TP Switch-->To 3 seperate rooms...

Of course all depending on what ever NBN fibre gateway (device) is and how it is setup?

Message 3 of 8
karlmurphy
Aspirant

thank you @additude - this has helped me a bit by suggesting when the nighthawk should be conneted. 

My setup is?:

FIBER WAN-->NBN fibre gateway (device mode is number G240-g it looks like a modem)-->8 Port TP Switch-->(Hardwired output to 3 seperate locations 1.2.3)-->1. Nighthawk Router D7000V2 AC1900, 2. Fetch Box M616T (disconnected from ethernet outlet), 3. No device

Everything worked perfectly for me except in this set up

1. I'm getting an amber led light on port 4/lan/wan internet. That the one connected via hardwired ethernet to the TP switch. It was never amber before - it has been white for months.

2. When I plug the Fetch box into ethernet outlet 2 - the nighthawk looses its incoming internet connection. What i mean is that the led for port 4 is off and the led for the internet (that the one shaped like a globe) is off. I want to connect Fetch via ethernet to avoid so many devices on my home wifi network.

3. Bosch Home alarm app cannot connect to the the alarm system when I'm out and above - meaning if the alarm goes off I dont get notified - (which is connected to ethernet to port on switch) 

I think if this is your setup then this a big problem... Yes I agree but it was (acceptable to me) until I put Nighthawk into outlet 1. I think the reality is it was never working properly but acceptable to me. 

It should be more like:

FIBER WAN-->NBN fibre gateway (connection box g204-g )-->Nighthawk Router d7000v2-->8 Port TP Switch-->To 3 seperate rooms...

Ok I can see why the above set up might work better. It also explains why the nighthawk loses connection when I connect other  devices into ethernet outlets, the TP switch might be causing the issue.  

Will my switch slow my wired ethernet outlets down? The swithc is a 10/100?

I get 47mps on home wifi at the moment and a touch more from ethernet outlet 3. 

It was installed as part of a newbuild. NBN docs I found online refer to it as a connection box and it has model g240-g on the front. Port marked uni-d1 is connected to TP switch.  The power and optical lights are green as well as uni-d1 led light. that all i can see. Looks like a modem

I never made any changes to config out of the box. But since then, in an attempt to resolve issues with alarm, fetch box and solar invertor, I have updated the firmware. Reset it multiple times, turned it on/off and cursed at it relentlessly. 

When trying to resolve the led amber light issue described above, I checked the ports on nighthawk by connecting ethernet from port 4 on nighthawk into port 1 on nighthwk and got two white leds on the nighthawk. I concluded that TP switch was limiting speed to 100mps. Then I tried to find out if I could change the port 4 speed to 1gigabit via the nighthawk webbrowser config control and concluded that it is set to auto-negotiation and cannot be changed on nghthawk from browser. I also checked the spec of the switch which is 10/100 which suggests it not capable of 1 giga which is strange as it was getting a solid led on nighthwk in the past. 

This has taken up my whole weekend. I'm at the stage where I think I should pay somebody to come and fix it. 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 4 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] I think I should pay somebody to come and fix it.

Probably wise.  Someone on site should be able to read the model
numbers on your equipment, which you seem unwilling or unable to do.

Message 5 of 8
additude
Virtuoso

So this is what you need to wrap your head around.

All the pieces of equipment (except the passive switch) need an IP address to talk on the LAN

Your FIBER WAN gateway will get an IP from the ISP on the WAN side and if setup as a bridge will not need an IP on the LAN side.

The IP addresses on the LAN side will come from the Router which needs DHCP enabled in it's settings. The only way that the equipment on your LAN can get an IP address is if that equipment is physically located on the LAN side of the router. The term is, "Behind The Router".

I will try to keep the below focused to how your particular setup should be.

1. You want your FIBER WAN gateway to just operate as a "pass-thru" connection from your ISP and pass the incoming WAN data on to your Router's WAN port. That means that the gateway needs to be in Bridge mode and for sure it has to have DHCP disabled.

Bridge mode means that the gateway only supplies the ISP the proper credentials required to establish the connection.

2. The router is the equipment that will provide the IP addresses to the equipment on your LAN so that those equipments can talk to each other and to the router on the LAN. The equipment on the LAN asks the routers DHCP server for an IP address.

3. A passive switch is basically just a data routing device that acts much like your LAN router, but without all the bells and whistles. The switch will take data and direct that data to the equipment that it is destined for. The switch, for the most part, will have LAN devices cable plugged into it. This way, all of the devices on the LAN can talk to each other including talking to he router, which supplies DHCP IP addresses plus access to the WAN.

4. Your alarm system needs to get an IP address from your router and your alarm system needs to access the internet thru your router. The same with your Fetch Box. It needs an IP from the router.

5. It can take a series of power off resets to get the router and the equipment in sync with established IP addresses. Sometimes this process can be obstinate and daunting, but typically turn the equipment and the router off. Turn the router on and allow the router time to establish the LAN connections. Maybe 5 - 10 minutes. Then power on the equipment. You may need to move the equipment to one of the ports physically on the router, bypassing the switch, establish an IP and then return the equipment to the switch.

6. Your equipment must be setup in DHCP mode. It should not have a "Static" LAN IP address in it's network settings.

Once again:

ISP FIBER WAN --> Gateway --> (WAN Port on router)>Router>(LAN Port on router) --> Switch --> Equipment

or

ISP FIBER WAN --> Gateway --> (WAN Port on router)>Router>(LAN Port on router) --> Equipment

Message 6 of 8
karlmurphy
Aspirant

Wow excellent thanks for this, once I move the passive switch, I still had some issues so I had reset all devices and house alarm which I think assigned new IP addresses.

The manuals for nighthawk didn’t really explain the role of the switch. The builder didn’t give any advice at all and when we move in the wan was connected but direct to the switch.

Builders advice was ‘see that green light that means it’s on’ referring to Tesla 2 battery!!
Message 7 of 8
karlmurphy
Aspirant

See your next Tuesday monsieur personality
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements