Cox says my modem is losing packets

brijsood
Tutor

Cox says my modem is losing packets

I have been having extremely erratic cable service. The service provider is COX which has had a lot of negative comments (actually is there ANY cable provider cosidered reasonable?). I asked them to do a ping test on my Netgear C7000 cable modem/router which I am using just as a modem, because I am using Google router.

COX was nice enough to do a ping test and reported 34% packet loss.

Does anybody know what that means and what can be done about it?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: Cox says my modem is losing packets

First log into it and check your cable connection. Take a screen snip of that and post it back here. 

What speeds do you pay for? 

What speeds do you get hardwired into the C7000?

do you have it setup in modem only mode so that you can connect the google router to it? many make the mistake of leaving it in router mode. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 14
brijsood
Tutor

Attached is a screenshot. You will notice that both the 2.4 and 5G wifi networks are disabled.

Please let me know if I should try something else.

Message 3 of 14
brijsood
Tutor

I pay for 300 MBPS. Once in awhile I see internet speeds of over 200, but that is rare.

Message 4 of 14
plemans
Guru

1. you didn't take the needed screen shot. You need the logs and the cable connection page. on the screen snip you sent? click on cable connection. I posted a link of what  one looks like (not a good one but an example). get all the info off the page. upstream/downstream. even if it takes several posts, include it. 

2. your wifi is showing enabled in that screen snip. 

Message 5 of 14
brijsood
Tutor

Here you go. Sorry for being so illiterate on this stuff

Message 6 of 14
brijsood
Tutor

Not sure how you say wifi is enabled. The boxes to the left of enable are not checked.

Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

A few issues. You're only locking 1x of your upstream channels and its running a bit higher in the power levels. Problem with that is with only running 1, if the power increases (or even now), it can cause issues and crash. Which when you're only running 1 is bad. Probably why you're having so many dropped packets.

Most devices lock 3-4 upstream channels. 

Plus you're having errors on your downstream. Not a ton but enough that with the upstream levels, it should be checked.

If you have any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators in your coax line, remove them. 

Preferablly hook the modem to right where the coax enters the home to prevent the wiring in the home being the issue.

then re-run that cable connection page. 

If you've already got it directly hooked up, then I'd advise your isp to check your line. 

Message 8 of 14
brijsood
Tutor

That is the way it came. How do I lock any more?

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

You don't. 

its your modem connecting back to the isp. If the line's good, more should connect. 

Which is why i recommended having the isp check the line if you'd tried all the other steps. 

Message 10 of 14
brijsood
Tutor

Thanks a lot for your help. This is really a reply to your latest message, the one that told me that I don't lock upstream channels, the system does. I will call COX.

Just one last question. You mentoned errors on downstream. Are you referring to correctables and uncorrectables?

Message 11 of 14
plemans
Guru

yes.
Message 12 of 14
brijsood
Tutor

Guru, thanks to you, I was able (finally) to have a meaningful chat with Cox. They sent some signals down the line and then rebooted my modem remotely. When I did that earlier, it did not fix any problems. BUT when Cox did it remotely, the amber light on upload went away (now I have solid greens) and speed tests are showing more consistent speeds on upload. More upload channels are now locked.

I am attaching new creenshots. If you see any other potential improvements, please advise. THANKS A TON!

Message 13 of 14
plemans
Guru

Glad to see you got it working better!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation