Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Create two different wifi's with two nighthawks

Borgermeister
Aspirant

Create two different wifi's with two nighthawks

I have tenants, and want to set up a seperate wireless network for them. I have one internet modem, and two netgear wifi routers. One of the routers is up and running as my primary network. How do I connect the second nighthawk router to the existing one, with a working internet connection? I can't seem to get internet working on the second/tenants wireless network?
Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

Re: Create two different wifi's with two nighthawks

Your modem needs to be configured in bridge mode.

Your primary nighthawk needs to be configured in router mode and connected to the modem via eithernet cable.

Your second nighthawk need to be configured in access point mode and connected via ethernet cable to one of the lan ports on the primary nighthawk.

Your second nighthawk then can have independent Wi-Fi SSID's (main and guest) and passwords from the primary nighthawk.

Be aware that all of the routing functions will be performed by the primary nighthawk.

Message 2 of 4
Borgermeister
Aspirant

Thanks for your response! Will this keep my tenants from seeing my devices, such as chromecasts etc? I will keep my existing router as my primary one, since it's already hooked up to some of my smart house devices. I wouldn't want my tenants to control my lights, or door locks.
Message 3 of 4
Kitsap
Master

I do not know the answer to your question about chromecasts or smart home devices.  Suggest you set up a tenant SSID and password, log in, and look for yourself.  The devices that connect to the access point are on the same local network as items connected to your primary router.  As long as the usernames and passwords for your devices are kept secure they should not be vulnerable.

I quickly get out of my area of experience with respect to virtual local area networks and isolation relative to the primary local area network.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7