Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Creating a custom DNS Server

VJOGuy
Aspirant

Creating a custom DNS Server

Keeping in mind that I'm a novice with routers and such...  I've been told I need to create "Custom DNS Server" on my Netgear router.  I have zero idea how to do this, or even what it means.

Would anyone be able to provide me with step-by-step guidance on that?  Googling it is just creating more confusion with terms like Dynamic DNS and Static DNS, etc.  As I mentioned, I'm clueless with this stuff!  I do know how to log in to my Router web interface and engage in very minor tweaks.  But that's it!

Any assistance would be super appreciated!  

Thank you!!

Chris

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
VJOGuy
Aspirant

Are you sure I haven't exhausted those avenues already?

I've asked one question.  I have zero answers to it.  In the process of asking, I've answered three questions, none of which help solve the problem at hand, nor get any closer to answering my question.

The suggestion to start from the beginning by stating what the problem attempting to be solved is, is fair.  However, I've done that...for months to this point in time.

The question is NOT whether you think my request for instructions will or will not solve the problem!  The question is, can you tell me how to do that?  It begs a simple response...yes...or no!  And if yes, what are the instructions.   The rest, my friends, is extraneous and opinions that were not being sought.

Instead, we've now wasted 24 hours with answering questions with questions.  This, friends, is why these boards are often frustrating to the average human being!  Next time, just try answering that damn question, and leave it at that!  

No need to respond.  It's clearly not possible.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies

@VJOGuy wrote:

I've been told I need to create "Custom DNS Server" on my Netgear router. 

Why?

Start with what you really want to achieve rather than someone else's idea of the solution.

Message 2 of 11
VJOGuy
Aspirant

Okay.  I've got T Mobile Home Internet service.  The T Mobile modem (made by Nokia, I believe) doubles as a wi-fi router.  I'm told from having posted here in the past that it has created a double NAT problem (where my internet speeds either slow.  Or there appears to be zero connection (webpages just don't load), when in fact there is).  

The TMobile/Nokia modem/router has limited options for configuring.  For example, there is no Bridge mode option available.  And while I have turned off the WiFi on the TMobile modem/router, I've since come to learn that NAT is behind the wifi/ethernet bridge (lan), in the firewall between tmobile network (wwan) and wifi/ethernet bridge(lan).  So turning WiFi off doesn't resolve the issue.  In fact, apparently the TMObile modem/router continues to emit it's own single Wi-Fi signal...even with Wifi shut off.

In the past, someone suggested that I just put the Netgear router in to AP mode.  But in doing so, that shut off the Armor protection that I want to keep active.  So that isn't an option either.  

I've spent some time on another board trying to resolve the TMobile issue.  Someone who is well respected on that board, and also produces a ton of YouTube videos on it, and who himself also has a Netgear system, says I should try doing a custom DNS server on my netgear to avoid the tmobile DNS routing.

This is the problem, and where I am at this point.  

Message 3 of 11

Now I see the point.

Might be better to look for solutions to "double NAT" rather than custom DNS Server.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It might also help to tell people what this T Mobile modem is. Maybe someone else has already wrestled with one.

Message 4 of 11
VJOGuy
Aspirant

Thank you.

The T Mobile Modem is a Nokia  5G21-12W-A.  

According to the manual that came with it (and others have also confirmed), it has no Bridge mode capacity, which admittedly would make many things so much easier!

And as mentioned previously, placing the Netgear router in AP mode will disable other features I'm paying for, thus creating yet another new problem I'd prefer to avoid.

Unfortunately, both articles suggest either Bridge mode and/or AP mode as a solution.  I wish either was an option for me, but they are not.

Is there harm in creating a DNS server to attempt to resolve the issue?  If not, would you be able to help me with that?

Thanks!

Chris

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Does the nokia have a DMZ?

if you put the netgears IP address into the Nokia's dmz, it should automatically forward all traffic. 

Message 6 of 11
VJOGuy
Aspirant

It does not (at least, when I search the manual using "DMZ" as the search paramteter, nothing comes back).  Also not seeing it in the index.  From what I'm reading, no one seems to like this router/modem as it has very little customizeability.  

Still back to the original question...can a Custom DNS Server be created?  And if so, is it possible to easily explain the process?

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

I'm still not sure what you think running your own dns is going to achieve. 

Message 8 of 11

@plemans wrote:

I'm still not sure what you think running your own dns is going to achieve. 

That's my question.

Coming up here with a "how do I do this on my router?" answer is often less productive than lobbing a problem, what you want to achieve (eliminate double NAT), into the maw.

I'd be tempted to try this:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Nokia 5G21

Most issue like that have come up somewhere else. And problems with third party hardware may be best attacked in the outside world where there is likely to be more experience.

I'd also go to the ISP's support site, if there is one. This wont be a Netgear only issue. Anyone seeking to use a decent router with this modem/router will be in the same boat

Message 9 of 11
VJOGuy
Aspirant

I've asked one question.  I have zero answers to it.  In the process of asking, I've answered three questions, none of which help solve the problem at hand, nor get any closer to answering my question.

The suggestion to start from the beginning by stating what the problem attempting to be solved is, is fair.  However, I've done that...for months to this point in time.

The question is NOT whether you think my request for instructions will or will not solve the problem!  The question is, can you tell me how to do that?  It begs a simple response...yes...or no!  And if yes, what are the instructions.   The rest, my friends, is extraneous and opinions that were not being sought.

Instead, we've now wasted 24 hours with answering questions with questions.  This, friends, is why these boards are often frustrating to the average human being!  Next time, just try answering that damn question, and leave it at that!  

No need to respond.  It's clearly not possible.

Message 10 of 11

@VJOGuy wrote:

Who knows? You arrived here telling us next to nothing about what you have tried.

All we can do is to respond with suggestions based on what people have done before.

Apologies if we are wasting your time. Sadly, experience tells us that very few people bother to do much research before they ask for help.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7