Custom DDNS Service

mhermosi
Initiate

Custom DDNS Service

Hi,

I have the R7800 and something that I miss from DD-WRT (which I had on another router that died) is the possibility to have a custom DDN service, that was wonderful. depending on comercial solutions is painful, I am using no-ip (because long time ago I had no-ip) and time to time I have to click on an email to keep alive my ddns host which BTW is the host used on the VPN Service (I cannot set a different one) So, does anyone has enough power here to suggest the activation of Customm DDN service so I can use my own DDNS server.

Thanks 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Custom DDNS Service

Hi,
We get 3 choices period.

Netgear
NoIP
DynDns

I dont think any amount of praying, begging or promising your first born will sway the product development gods to provide a custom dynamic DNS option.

DynDNS was your only option for years until in their infinite wisdom they decided to start charging for their service. This pissed a lot of people off, but it is a service and I'm sure their business model includes being profitable. No one begrudges them for this, it's the way they did it that made folks angry.

This is when Netgear and NoIP started being offered. I agree NoIP is a pain, forcing you to validate your account once a month. Because that's right, there are millions of people who activate a dynamic DNS name and then dont use it. It not like your router doesn't validate it at least once every 24 hrs, but no, the burden is put on the consumer. But hey, it's free, so once every 30 days you hope you remember to click the box and say "I am not a robot"... Account validated.

I dont know what netgear requires, but I think (could be wrong) that they ask for your address, etc. Playing the game remains free.

Only other option I can think of. There used to be little utilities that would run resident and provide DynDns, but that machine has to be running 24/7... a Rasberry Pi might do the trick.

Cheers
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 4
mhermosi
Initiate

It is painful, I think their firmware is based on DD-WRT right? it is so simple is not they have to support, just add the option. same thing with VPN service. how long did we have to wait until they decided to update the certificate signing from a crappy md5 to a better algoritm. leaving us open to security violation of our router. now they keep us kidnapped by companies without letting us decide. BTW, if you see the DNS_ddns.htm page they offer chinese options I think for chinese customers. so they can do better.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4

Yes.  I had also forgotten that netgears DNS is a hosted byproduct of NoIP...  so you really only get 2 options...  one just gets the .mynetgear.com domain suffix.

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E