Custom SSID lost during power failure

bretthatcher
Luminary

Custom SSID lost during power failure

I have had my router about a month and things have been going smoothly.  We had a 5 minute power outage yesterday and when the router came back online the wifi SSIDs defaulted to Netgear, Netgear-5G-1, Netgear-5G-2, and my guest wifi was disabled.  I have the latest firmware update.  Is there a way to prevent this?  It is really a pain to have to go back through and rename each channel and put in passwords along with having to enable the guest wifi and rename that as well.  Not to mention I have wireless connectivity to security cameras that have to be reset when this happens even if I name the wireless channels the exact same thing again with the same password.  

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
myersw
Master

Re: Custom SSID lost during power failure

It is hard to tell what will happen to router config during power failure.There are typically sags and surges that can cause issues with router upto router being damaged and have to replace. Way to prevent is to have the router on a UPS so it is isolated from power spikes. Then you can shut it down and wait for power to come back.

Since things obviously got messed up I would suggest you reset the router and reload the firmware so that everything is clean. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 6
bretthatcher
Luminary

Okay understood. 

So is there a way to backup my SSID settings so in case something else causes this to happen I can put my SSIDs back the way they were by restoring them in some way so I don't have to manually configure my security devices?  Even if I name the SSID for each channel the same way as before with the same password, it is not recognized by my security devices as the same SSID anymore.

Message 3 of 6
myersw
Master

I know you can create a backup config file. Should be in the owners manual. I do not own a r8000 anymore so cannot walk you through it. 

Here is link to user manual which should have how to create a backup. 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8000/R8000_UM_EN.pdf

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 6
bretthatcher
Luminary

Thanks Bill.

Does anyone know if the backup settings option would include everything I need to restore so that my connected devices still see the network the way it was before?  I have searched to try and find the contents of the backup config online but I'm skeptical that all the needed information would be in the file so I could just restore it and all my connected devices would just work after the restore.  

Message 5 of 6
myersw
Master

Yes it puts everything back the way the configuration was. That is the reason you will see warnings when folks have issues and are told to do a reset, but to not use a backup as it would put back everything including what was causing the problem if it is a configuration issue. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E