Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6400 Error 1 Firmware update fails. Manual .chk won't 'open' on a MacBook.

Elle01
Tutor

D6400 Error 1 Firmware update fails. Manual .chk won't 'open' on a MacBook.

Hi, I'm behind by several versions of firmware because each time I attempt to update it fails. I've seen other questions along a similar line being rectified by updating with a version inbetween first. Great idea - except - my macbook won't open the .chk file contained in the zipped file to enable me to do this. 

How do I 'open' the .chk file to upload the update to the router? It prompts and asks which 'app' I want to use to 'open' it.

The Netgear Maual says ...

8. " Locate and select the firmware file on your computer: Click the Browse button. Navigate to the firmware file.

The file ends in .chk. An example of a firmware file name is D6400-V1.0.0.22_1.0.22.chkSelect the firmware file. Click the Upload button."

All very wonderful, and each step works, until the last - there is no 'upload' button - only the prompt from macbook to 'choose an app to open the file in'!?

I've tried updating using the Netgear Genie - doesn't work. I've tried it in the advanced settings on the routerlogin.net page - doesn't work - Unknown Error 1.

I read one of Netgear's articles about manual updating. The first instruction was to connect laptop via an ethernet cable - I have a macbook - there is no RJ45 port and I don't have a working USB adaptor. 

Is there a way to update the firmware without a hardwire using wireless only? A) I'm concerned about the security issues. B) My printer is deciding it needs to be turned off and on between every. single. print job otherwise the laptop gets stuck in a neverending cycle of 'searching for printer'. I'm guessing this may be something to do with the firmware on the router not being up to date and possiblly not playing nice with the WIFI on the printer??? Or am I guessing wrong? Either way - firmware needs updating. 

Any suggestions ?  (I rely very heavily on the internet connection for multiple reasons and am more than a tad concerned about bricking it!)

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: D6400 Error 1 Firmware update fails. Manual .chk won't 'open' on a MacBook.

You can do it over wifi. 

We recommend over wired because its a solid connection without interference. 

But wifi does work. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

you don't "open" the file. After you download it, you extract it. 

Then that file gets uploaded to the router through the browser GUI. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Message 3 of 6
Elle01
Tutor

Thank you! I've finally found the 'Browse' button on the webpage to upload the file! But the instructions state to hardwire ethernet cable to laptop. I have no way to do this currently (and my last adaptor was a sketchy connection from the start that dropped in and out so I wouldn't necessarily trust one for these purposes) Can you do this process of uploading the file and updating the firmware via a wifi connection to the macbook?? 

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

You can do it over wifi. 

We recommend over wired because its a solid connection without interference. 

But wifi does work. 

Message 5 of 6
Elle01
Tutor

Thank yooooou!!!! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7