Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 - Uptime

mickburrell
Guide

D7000 - Uptime

I currently have a line fault (not router oroblem) which causes my connection to drop out. I'm confused by the connected time information the router shows me. Could someone explain the difference between the uptime shown in Connection Status - currently showing 8 hours - and the WAN uptime shown in statistics which currently shows just over 3 days.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
tominwi
Luminary

Re: D7000 - Uptime

Dunno Mick, I had to look hard to find these myself (under Advanced/Admin/Router Status/Internet Port) and my own numbers track exactly between System Up Time and Connection Time. As my Sys Up Time exactly matches when I last updated my firmware (and thus rebooted the router) I would guess that Up Time relates simply to "time since last booted" and Connection Status is just that, that CS is the time that you have actually been connected and communicating with the Internet.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
mickburrell
Guide

The Connection Status now shows 30 minutes suggesting we had a dropout 30 minutes ago but the Statistics have gone up to 4 days. I'd be very grateful if anyone can explain what each of these mean as they are obviously independent of one another.

Message 2 of 7
tominwi
Luminary

Dunno Mick, I had to look hard to find these myself (under Advanced/Admin/Router Status/Internet Port) and my own numbers track exactly between System Up Time and Connection Time. As my Sys Up Time exactly matches when I last updated my firmware (and thus rebooted the router) I would guess that Up Time relates simply to "time since last booted" and Connection Status is just that, that CS is the time that you have actually been connected and communicating with the Internet.

Message 3 of 7
mickburrell
Guide

Thanks. I was coming to that conclusion but difficult to be certain as the internet is dropping out so frequently. As part of the testing with the telephone engineer, the router has been unplugged, swapped for another etc. so I can't be sure when it was last powered up.

Message 4 of 7
tominwi
Luminary

@mickburrell wrote:

...the router has been unplugged, swapped for another etc. so I can't be sure when it was last powered up.

That would surely confuse the numbers so now you know to focus on CS!

Presumably they've already bugged you about your in-house wiring, which you probably know all about, but if not well most house telno wiring is daisy-chained all over the place, and so it is possible you might have a loose connection or broken splice somewhere making intermittant contact. So an obvious thing to try is to connect the D7000 to whereever the first telno connection might be i.e. that is nearest to the outdoor entry point. Or if the entry point is outside but well-protected from weather, you might even connect the D7000 there temporarily.

I hate the idea of calling-out a tech and possibly finding that I've missed something myself!

Message 5 of 7
mickburrell
Guide

Yes, thanks for taking the trouble with that but a) it's a dedicated line with no extension sockets at all and b) all the engineers have tested in here and it's fine.

I don't want to complicate matters or drag it on here - you have answered my query after all, but most houses in the street have the same drop outs at the same time so it must be a line/cabinet fault but the engineers can't find it. I only asked the question as I was expecting the two uptime figiures to be the same and of course, as you said, under normal circumstances - i.e. constant connection since the last reboot - they would be

Message 6 of 7
tominwi
Luminary

OK, got it. Yikes the whole neighborhood! That shoiuld motivate the ISP to fix the problem before all y'all light torches and storm the service building!

Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7