Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000v2 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi

GGJ1
Aspirant

D7000v2 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi

I'm getting max speed via direct cable on FTTB however speed drops using our router to 600 instead of 950+

I have set the 5g wifi to max 1300 but missing bandwidth is still much lower. I have selected QOS on router settings with no change. 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 10

Re: D7000v2 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi

@GGJ1 wrote:

I'm getting max speed via direct cable on FTTB however speed drops using our router to 600 instead of 950+

What are we talking about here? What "speeds" are these?

FTTB usually means fiber-to-the-building or -basement. The D7000 is a DSL modem router. FTTB is rarely DSL unless you are on NBN in Australia.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

NBN is famously good at baffling people.

If that is what you have, then the top speed for DSL is usually around 70 Mbps. So where do you see 600 Mbps and where do you expect to see 950 Mbps?

If these are wifi speeds, forget it. That is down to the wifi clients. Next to nothing with today's technology will get 950 Mbps on wifi.

If you are talking about wifi speeds, it might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

@GGJ1 wrote:

I have selected QOS on router settings with no change. 

Selected it how? To be on or off? It is of no value with an Internet connection of over 300 Mbps, some say 200 Mbps. All that it does when enabled is to slow down the connection as the processor handles the signal.

Message 2 of 10
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I use a D7000v2 on a FTTB type connection. The vendor provides a modem with ethernet out so I use that and connect to ethernet port 4 on the D7000v2 which supports a ethernet WAN connection bypssing the modem in the D7000v2 per the manual. Since this is a ethernet connection I also adjusted the MTU to 1500. My connection is 256Mbps, but doing speed test I actually get around 280Mbps. Asked the ISP about this and they said that they over provision to ensure the purchased speed is met. This is using the latest firmware 1.0.0.74_1.0.1 that was just released at the end of July.

Message 3 of 10

@w3wilkes wrote:

The vendor provides a modem with ethernet out so I use that and connect to ethernet port 4 on the D7000v2

And that vendor modem is? Any chance that it is a modem/router?

@w3wilkes wrote:

.../supports a ethernet WAN connection bypssing the modem in the D7000v2 per the manual.

That puts the D7000v2 into router mode. If the ISP modem is also a router you are into double NAT country.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 10
w3wilkes
Prodigy

In my case the vendor modem is just a modem that converts the fiber back to ethernet. It's a DZS device and is transparent. My D7000v2 receives it's IP address via DHCP from the ISP so no double NAT.

Message 5 of 10

@w3wilkes wrote:

In my case the vendor modem is just a modem that converts the fiber back to ethernet. It's a DZS device and is transparent. My D7000v2 receives it's IP address via DHCP from the ISP so no double NAT.

I'm puzzled. Are you offering this as advice to @GGJ1 or are you looking for help for your own setup?

If the former, great. If the latter, then start your own discussion. The community rules don't like "hijacking".

NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service | Answer | NETGEAR Support

• Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated. Similarly, any message containing the following will be removed at the discretion of either a Community moderator or administrator:
    • Off-Topic posting
    • Thread hi-jacking

There are still a lot of unanswered questuons for @GGJ1.

Message 6 of 10
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I'm puzzled. Are you offering this as advice to @GGJ1 or are you looking for help for your own setup?

@michaelkenward  Yes, I was offering the advice in my first reply and the 2nd reply was answering your questions about whether my vendors device was a modem/router and double NAT. I do not have a problem myself. If @GGJ1 's setup is the same as mine and the vendor provides a modem that's transparent and just does a conversion back to ethernet I don't know if the default MTU of 1492 on the D7000v2 would slow the connection down or not.

Message 7 of 10
GGJ1
Aspirant

To clarify I am on NBN FTTB. My Ethernet speeds reach over 950mbps. The router is set to 1300mbps so I should be able to achieve this speed. I understand wifi speeds are sometimes not achievable on wifi. 

Please note I am not baffled by NBN. I did state I was receiving 950mbps. This is not related to DSL. 
If you took the time to actually understand the issue instead of rattling off and making assumptions then you would've have known I was being reasonable about the speeds using NBN.

Please note selected means on - unselected means off. Really not that complicated.

Message 8 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] speed drops using our router to 600 instead of 950+ [...]

I wouldn't bet that a DSL modem+router was designed/tested to ensure
that it could process data at the physical link rate of its WAN/Internet
port.

> [...] The router is set to 1300mbps

_What_, exactly, in the router is set to "1300" anything?  (Note:
"m" = "milli" = 1/1000. "M" = "mega" = 1000000.)

> [...] so I should be able to achieve this speed. [...]

Doing what?  How, exactly, do you expect to suck 1300Mb/s out of a
router whose WAN/Internet port is physically limited to 1000Mb/s?

> Please note selected means on - unselected means off. Really not that
> complicated.

Some of the folks around here seem to delight in failing to grasp the
obvious.  I haven't found a cure.

Message 9 of 10
GGJ1
Aspirant

Doing what?  How, exactly, do you expect to suck 1300Mb/s out of a
router whose WAN/Internet port is physically limited to 1000Mb/s?

this is the setting for maximum speed. Of course I'm only on 1Gbps but setting it to 1300mbps should allow max speed up to 1Gbps. I'm not sure if you were confused but it's a max setting. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7