Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000v2 and 5GEE wifi/router

akanoodles
Aspirant

D7000v2 and 5GEE wifi/router

I have a Nighthawk D7000v2 and I'm using it via a Landline. But I'm looking to switch to a 5GEE wifi/router either this one or this one. 

Does anyone know how to set this up? I have a bunch of LAN connected devices and want to maintain the stability

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: D7000v2 and 5GEE wifi/router

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the DSL Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with DSL modems and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 7

@akanoodles wrote:

Does anyone know how to set this up? I have a bunch of LAN connected devices and want to maintain the stability

A lot will depend on the capabilities of whatever mobile router you buy.

As you won't be using the D7000v2 as a modem, there doesn't seem to be much point in visiting the DSL modem section. (Strange suggestion.) What you need help in is using the D7000v2 as a router, which is a simple task.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Check the section in the manual Set Up the Modem Router for Cable or Fiber Service.

That will take you back to the settings you need to configure on the new modem. A better place to seek help on this is probably here:

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

They may not talk about the modem you have in  mind, but  a router to a mobile modem is a general topic crops up there from time to time.

@akanoodles wrote:

I'm looking to switch to a 5GEE wifi/router either this one or this one. 

Those links go nowhere unless you login to EE.

Message 3 of 7
akanoodles
Aspirant

I found this page:

https://kb.netgear.com/29327/How-to-set-D6220-D7000-to-pure-bridge-or-DSL-modem#

I think what I need to do is set this up as a Pure Bridge. How do I do this?

Message 4 of 7

@akanoodles wrote:

I think what I need to do is set this up as a Pure Bridge.

What are you trying to achieve now?

Your first message said:

I'm looking to switch to a 5GEE wifi/router

I interpreted that as meaning that you want to ditch the D7000v2 DSL modem/router and replace it with a mobile modem/router. The broken links you provided to EE end up with devices that work on the mobile phone network. That has nothing to do putting a DSL modem.router into "bridge mode".

If the idea is to use the D7000v2 as a router behind a mobile modem, then bridge mode on the D7000v2 , as described in that KnowledgeBase article, isn't what you want.

I have already explained how to find out how to use the D7000v2 as a router. You will have to work out for yourself how to use whatever mobile device you buy with a router. That is why I suggested that you consult the section here that covers mobile devices.

The other alternative with a mobile front end before your router is to use the D7000v2 as a wireless access point. You can also read about that in the manual for your Netgear modem/router.

Message 5 of 7
akanoodles
Aspirant

Ok so I have a purchased a M5 Nighthawk mobile router. I want to use the speeds I get from the M5 and extend my network with the D7000v2.
Message 6 of 7

@akanoodles wrote:
I want to use the speeds I get from the M5 and extend my network with the D7000v2.

See my previous response.

The easiest option is probably to work out how to get your D7000v2 to work in AP mode with the M5, whatever that is, not a Netgear model number. (MR5200?)

Someone worried about "slow" DSL probably uses data by the cartload. I hope you have unlimited data. Mobile networks can be horribly expensive on that front.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7