Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7800 Keeps disconnecting every Ethernet during the night

Quesabyte
Tutor

D7800 Keeps disconnecting every Ethernet during the night

I factory reset it last night and only changed the network name, password, admin password and a added the NAS to a IP lease.

The only thing that fixes it is rebooting it.

It’s really been bugging me. Had it since April and it’s always done it. Some times it’ll go days or weeks and sometimes it’ll do it every day. I’m getting close to the point of returning it.
Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 13

Greetings,

You didn't say what FW version you were running?

Has the firmware ever been upgraded?  Maybe when you were setting it up for the first time?

Intermitting disconnections can have several causes, but it might be helpful for you to reset your device to defaults, and retest for reliable connectivty (first step).

When you reply back, please tell us what FW version you are running, as well as the results after you have reset the device.  Resetting does not change the installed version of FW, it only erases changes made since set up was performed.  Be sure you have your PPoE acct/connection information accessible so you can re-input this after reset.

Message 2 of 13
myersw
Master

@Quesabyte wrote:
I factory reset it last night and only changed the network name, password, admin password and a added the NAS to a IP lease.

The only thing that fixes it is rebooting it.

It’s really been bugging me. Had it since April and it’s always done it. Some times it’ll go days or weeks and sometimes it’ll do it every day. I’m getting close to the point of returning it.

Since April???

It would have been in my trash bin long ago. Currently Netgear firmware is CRAP and has been. If returnable yet do it and get something from Asus or Linksys. 

Message 3 of 13
Quesabyte
Tutor

Fw V1.0.1.42

I did a factoey reset just before posting here. The changes are what I did after.

Message 4 of 13
Quesabyte
Tutor

I did a factoey reset just before posting here. The changes are what I did after.

Message 5 of 13

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers.

Your devices is a DSL Modem/Router.

You might get better replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section:

DSL Modems & Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Message 6 of 13

@Quesabyte

It doesn;t sound like the router itself is defective, but we don't know this for sure.  

Here is the next thing to do.  Review the router's logs for any information and errors related to the disconnect issue. 

It might be helpful if you can do this when the router is in its "failed" state.  Meaning disconnected from the internet.  You should still be able to log into for a PC connected to it wired/wirelessly.  Log in click Advances tab and review Internet port .  What does the connection information show?

Is the connection type PPoE?  If so, the connection mode should be set to "Always On" and the Idle Timeout to "0".  Let us know what you find.

Message 7 of 13
Quesabyte
Tutor

It’s only the Ethernet that disconnects. Wifi is fine and the connection to the internet still works.

It’s PPoE. And is set to always on.

The logs haven’t show anything...
Message 8 of 13
pec967
Luminary

Do you have an XBox connected to an Ethernet port on the 7800? There are lots of complaints of similar behavior to what you describe. Disabling "instant on" on the XBox helps some, but not all.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 9 of 13
Quesabyte
Tutor

we have two. only one is instant on. ill stop using ethernet and see if that works.

Message 10 of 13
Styl4s
Aspirant

Hi,

I’m having the exact same issue and have been looking at a few forums where people have expressed the same. I also have an Xbox and I’ve now disconnected this in the hope that the instant on might be contributing to this.

Has this issue reoccurred or is it still happening after the xbox was removed?
Message 11 of 13
Quesabyte
Tutor

We ended up putting a switch in between the two Xbox’s and the nighthawk. That resolved the issue for us.
Message 12 of 13
Styl4s
Aspirant

Thanks Quesabyte. In fact, having disconnecting the Ethernet from the XBox, I’ve managed to go a whole day without having to reset the router.. So it definitely seems to have been the “instant on” feature causing a confliction.

I’ll probably do the same eventually and have a switch placed in between! Thanks a lot for the update.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7