Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DD-WRT and Warranties.

EFillF
Aspirant

DD-WRT and Warranties.

Will installing DD-WRT on my router void the warranty I have on my router? 

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

If you read the terms of the warranty, it does say that Repair or modification of the product by anyone other than NETGEAR or a NETGEAR approved agent will void this warranty.  It doesn't specify whether that means physical or firmware modification, but I could envision that Netgear could claim that installing DD-WRT voids the warranty.

If you have problems, you could always re-install stock firmware.  If you brick the router while DD-WRT is installed, then you may be out of luck.  It's up to you to determine if you can afford that risk. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

If you read the terms of the warranty, it does say that Repair or modification of the product by anyone other than NETGEAR or a NETGEAR approved agent will void this warranty.  It doesn't specify whether that means physical or firmware modification, but I could envision that Netgear could claim that installing DD-WRT voids the warranty.

If you have problems, you could always re-install stock firmware.  If you brick the router while DD-WRT is installed, then you may be out of luck.  It's up to you to determine if you can afford that risk. 

Message 2 of 3
Deanmastjr
Star

I installed and told netgear I installed, RMA still approved... most likely because router is advertised as open source
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7